Pontiac - Street No question too basic here!

Old 06-01-2000, 09:45 AM

I am remote mountig my oil filter and have been told that the new location should be level with the exisiting oil ports in the block. Is this true?
I don't have any good place (meaning accessible and good mounting) for the filter in this area.
What about mounting to the firewall? Anything wrong with that?
Most relocations (make that ALL relocations) that I have seen are merely mounted to the inner wheel well, nowhere near level with the old discharge point. (50,000 Frenchmen can't be wrong?)
Also - what are the thoughts on running a double filter vs single filter?
Thanks,
Bruce

Old 06-01-2000, 09:45 AM

I am remote mountig my oil filter and have been told that the new location should be level with the exisiting oil ports in the block. Is this true?
I don't have any good place (meaning accessible and good mounting) for the filter in this area.
What about mounting to the firewall? Anything wrong with that?
Most relocations (make that ALL relocations) that I have seen are merely mounted to the inner wheel well, nowhere near level with the old discharge point. (50,000 Frenchmen can't be wrong?)
Also - what are the thoughts on running a double filter vs single filter?
Thanks,
Bruce

Old 06-01-2000, 10:38 AM

Send a message via AIM to David Holmberg

Put the filter where you can get to it and keep it level. I have seen people mount them on the fender well at an angle but when you change filters you will spill some oil. Keep it away from heat (as much as possible) and keep it level and it will be fine.

Old 06-01-2000, 02:30 PM

As for two filters versus one. I wouldn't bother. I am a big beleiver in the System One oil filter units from jegs or Summit for around $80.00. It has saved me severe damage several times by letting me know that the bearings are about to do something really bad to me. If I pull the filter element out for inspection and find what looks like copper, the first thing I do is pull the distributor and check the gear (bronze gear). If the gear looks good then the car goes on the trailer and back to the shop to remove the pan. It's the last oil filter you will ever need to buy and flows more gpm with equal or better filtration in micron particle size terms. It will pay for itself after 8 - 10 oil changes easily and if you ever sell the vehicle you can put a standard filter on and keep the System One for your next project.

Old 06-01-2000, 07:15 PM

Thanks, both sound like great advice and I will take both.
Bruce