Pontiac - Street No question too basic here!

Old 05-31-2000, 08:55 AM

First of all I'd like to thank all of you for the help you've given me in solving my Pontiac engine in a Street Rod questions. I really love this board.

Question 1: We've had the fresh rebuild 400 running several times now (she really sound great. When running above 1000 rpm the oil pressure runs between 40 and 60lbs, however,when the idle is set to 700 rpm the pressure drops to below 20. Is that normal?

Question 2: After the engine is brought up to temp (between 180 and 200) and then shut off, the starter will not turn the engine over. The headers were giving off alot of heat and we thought we were frying the starter so we wrapped them. While that's helped hold back the heat, I still have a "hot start" problem. I've got a McLoed srarter with a remote relay. Is it just because the engine is fresh and hasn't really been broken in yet?

Any help is appreciated. - Dennis

Old 05-31-2000, 08:55 AM

First of all I'd like to thank all of you for the help you've given me in solving my Pontiac engine in a Street Rod questions. I really love this board.

Question 1: We've had the fresh rebuild 400 running several times now (she really sound great. When running above 1000 rpm the oil pressure runs between 40 and 60lbs, however,when the idle is set to 700 rpm the pressure drops to below 20. Is that normal?

Question 2: After the engine is brought up to temp (between 180 and 200) and then shut off, the starter will not turn the engine over. The headers were giving off alot of heat and we thought we were frying the starter so we wrapped them. While that's helped hold back the heat, I still have a "hot start" problem. I've got a McLoed srarter with a remote relay. Is it just because the engine is fresh and hasn't really been broken in yet?

Any help is appreciated. - Dennis

Old 05-31-2000, 11:14 AM
Administrator

My 400 oil pressure has always gone down to about 20. I don't think it's a problem.

Your hot starting problem..... dead silence?

that's a solenoid problem.

or slow crank?

Starter just plain too hot.

Solutions; Upgrade your solenoid and or starter to heavy duty, buy a hot soak spring, cover the solenoid & starter with something. Also do a "search" on "Starters". There are several other topics that address this issue with recommendations.

Old 05-31-2000, 06:36 PM
Suspended

Location: The Palomino Ranch in Tucson-where the real horsepower lives.

A McLeod starter that won't turn it over?Something is going on that you don't know about.Where is your timing set at?Is the advance working?(not stuck at full advance)This would explain a lot if it was.Pop the cap&rotor and grab the weights with your fingers.You should be able to move them easily.They should snap back when you let go of them.

Old 06-01-2000, 08:27 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Hey, CrobraBill. I tried that but my zipper gets in the way.

Old 06-01-2000, 02:23 PM

I'd check the timing first. One thing you could do when it exhibits this problem is deactivate the ignition and try turning it over with no spark. If the problem still exists then it isn't timing related. I used to lose a lot of sleep over the oil pressure hovering around 15-20 lbs when hot at idle when I started building my race motors. After talking with others at my track and elesehwere over the years I don't even think twice about it any more. As long as the pressure comes up good at RPM I wouldn't worry about it.

Old 06-02-2000, 05:54 AM
Suspended

Location: The Palomino Ranch in Tucson-where the real horsepower lives.

Dude-do you use WD-40 or graphite on your zipper?