THE LOBBY A gathering place. Introductions, sports, showin' off your ride, birthday-anniversary-milestone, achievements, family oriented humor.

Old 04-26-2016, 01:56 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Barry's staff didn't understand cars and thought GM had too many divisions. Plus Pontiac was 'performance' and performance isn't green.

Old 04-26-2016, 06:30 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 77 Canamman View Post
The G6 was sold as a 2010 model, as was the G3.
The G6 was introduced in 2004 as a 2005 model. My wife had a 2005 G6 as her company car while working in Lethbridge, Alberta.

The G3 was introduced as a 2009 model - the only year it was produced.

Old 04-26-2016, 09:30 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Work at a buick dealership for oh say 3 years, see what comes through the door as far as customers. Retired people make up the bulk, as well as doctors and lawyers that want a staid looking car and maybe aren't really wanting to spend a pile of money on it (read cheap).

Buick is never ever going to be an excitement car line, they may have had a couple performance cars in the past, but they aren't going to be putting the bulk of their clientele in them. The Opel line brought more young people to Buick than probably anything else they've had, and that was decades ago.

Since most people look at their cars the same as a washer and dryer (appliances) and read Consumer Reports as a guideline of what to buy in automobiles buihog will keep selling cars at a much reduced number than Pontiac did.

Any dyed in wool Pontiac guy, especially after GM dropping Pontiac, isn't going to switch to buying buicks because Pontiac is no longer an option. GM conceivably lost any true Pontiac guy/girl forever by the closing of the Pontiac division.

Buy owning the Indianhead Acres T Shirt business, plus wearing my own shirts daily, I've talked to scores of former Pontiac customers/owners that won't ever buy another GM car, and I'm one of them. My wearing the T shirts many, many times start conversations about PMD and GM dropping of the division. Just talked to the security guy at Best Buy last night about the subject after he noticed my shirt.

GM thought of Pontiac people as GM people, WRONG. Surprisingly many Pontiac people are also ford people, look at Tom Vaught.............. I also sponsored 2 brothers by building their engines for a Pontiac dirt car that were ford lovers as well as Pontiac lovers

If I, "really would rather have a buick", I would have bought one years ago. I've never wanted a buick anything that they've offered at anytime during my lifetime, never will.

My wife would like a Jeep, and that's probably going to be our next new/newer car. Not a real fan of the shysler corp either, but I damn sure won't buy another GM anything.

1984 Grand Prix

100% Pontiacs in my driveway!!! What's in your driveway?

If you don't take some of the RACETRACK home with you, Ya got cheated

Old 04-26-2016, 10:41 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I continue to buy GMC trucks because I'm loyal to the local dealer who used to sell Pontiacs (and still hosts a mostly-Pontiac car show every year). I have no loyalty to Government Motors as a company.

Eric

Life begins at the end of your comfort zone.

“The mind, once stretched by a new idea, never returns to its original dimensions.”
Old 04-26-2016, 07:21 PM
Ultimate Warrior

The Sirrotica post #23 sums up my feelings and experience almost 100%. I worked at a Pontiac/GMC/Buick dealership and have worked with hundreds of GM dealerships as a trainer for decades. When Pontiac went out of business, EVERY SINGLE dealer was crying the blues of lost sales they will NEVER recover. They are all smart enough to realize that the PONTIAC customers were the ones who were loyal, even when the product was not the best. Most Buick owners bought 1 or 2 cars, generally the last cars they would drive before giving up their license and being driven by loved ones. Yes the Chinese love Buicks. That's great. Yes Buick built a handful of really nice looking and performing muscle cars. But if you think about the GS 350, 400, 455, GSX, they were a response to Pontiac OWNING the GM performance market with the GTO and LeMans. They had to do something. What about the RIVERA? Again Pontiac created and owned the market with the Grand Prix. Buick had to respond. I don't hate Buicks, I would just never own one or new ANY GM vehicle as long
as I am able to drive. GM will get along just fine without me, selling Chinese built Buick SUV's to the American Masses. I agree with Sirrotica again on this point, for 95% of the new car buyers out there, a car is just another annoying appliance that you have to "waste" your money on to get around. Why do you think Toyota, Nissan, and Honda sell so many cars, appliances? And since refrigerators, washing machines, and dishwashers are made in China, most Americans probably won't care that their next Buick will be built there too.

Old 04-26-2016, 09:44 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirrotica View Post
Any dyed in wool Pontiac guy, especially after GM dropping Pontiac, isn't going to switch to buying buicks because Pontiac is no longer an option. GM conceivably lost any true Pontiac guy/girl forever by the closing of the Pontiac division.
As to Buick - I agree 100%.

GM didn't lose all the dyed in the wool Pontiac guys. I think they retained the majority of them.

I'm a dyed in the wool Pontiac guy - and won't switch to Ford/Toyota/Chrysler/Honda or insert name of another car manufacturer here...

My dad sold for an Olds/Cadillac dealer and two different Buick/Pontiac?GMC dealerships over his automobile sales career that stretched from the late 40's to the mid 90's.

I have a pair of Chevy's, a Pontiac and a Caddy for my toy cars. My daily drivers are a Pontiac and a Chevy. My company car is a Chevy. My future purchases will come from Chevy, GMC or Cadillac.

Old 04-26-2016, 09:49 PM
Suspended

LS EVERTHING now equals "Pontiac" eh?

Who cares...if you wanna play buy a Chebby titled GM today with Pontiac cladding and call it "Good Day Sir!" Really a Pontiac???

Nope! Nada! No way Jose!

PS: throw in some Lambo doors too, cause "that's Pontiac?" Not even.

Old 04-27-2016, 11:34 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgarblik View Post
Buick survives and Pontiac is gone. Buick continues to build and sell cars for the over 80 set with styling only a mother or grandmother could love. But in July 2016, Buick will provide a new vehicle for American consumers to purchase that will make history. The Buick Envision will go on sale in the US. It's a 5 passenger SUV. What is so special and wonderful about this Buick first? It will be the FIRST "American" vehicle, built in China for export to the US market!! With THAT kind of forward thinking from GM, my anger toward Pontiac being gone lessons a little. It was bad enough to endure the Pontiac LeMans! (the Daewoo Korean one).
Don't think that GM's target customer for the 2016 Buick Encore is that concerned where the car is manufactured. Some may be, but Americans have been purchasing cars built in various Asian countries for years now (unfortunately ).

On the other hand, if GM decided to move their truck line assembly to China, I would think most potential US truck buyers would say good bye to GM.

Old 04-27-2016, 01:22 PM
Ultimate Warrior

YES!!! Agree. Still gotta buy made overseas then. I like GMC I have 2015 2500 SLE very satisfied,overall.I enjoy towing with my truck,comfortable.pricey.

Old 04-27-2016, 10:29 PM
Ultimate Warrior

These are NOT for the "over 80" crowd guys...

While many cars are an appliance, many of ours were too, back in the day..

Old 04-27-2016, 11:11 PM
Suspended

No phucks to give really as image above looks same as current VW (and others) offerings and prolly using same drop-top mechanisms

Old 05-02-2016, 07:49 PM
Ultimate Warrior

[QUOTE=android 211;5567507]Barry's staff didn't understand cars and thought GM had too many divisions.

But GM did have too many divisions. That was one of the things that brought GM down - a business model that was irrelevant for the times.

Quote:
Plus Pontiac was 'performance' and performance isn't green.
.....yet here we are in 2016, with 4-door sedans that can go 0-60 in under 4 seconds.

Old 05-02-2016, 10:21 PM
Ultimate Warrior

[QUOTE=Diego;5570378]
Quote:
Originally Posted by android 211 View Post
Barry's staff didn't understand cars and thought GM had too many divisions.

But GM did have too many divisions. That was one of the things that brought GM down - a business model that was irrelevant for the times.

.....yet here we are in 2016, with 4-door sedans that can go 0-60 in under 4 seconds.
Alfred Sloan spent considerable time, money and energy creating all those different divisions, and the pinheads at GM made them all the same in the 80's. A generation of people (like me) grew up seeing all GM products as "the same."

Old 05-02-2016, 10:34 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Sloan's time and effort is irrelevant. And to suggest all those brands were made the same is not quite honest.

It's been said before: GM was GM's worst enemy. I can't blame the company for trying to maintain its organizational structure, especially with peripheral complications like dealerships, but GM tried to carry the load for way too long (among other things).

Old 05-02-2016, 10:45 PM
Suspended

Lightbulb

I'll just add this and leave:

The current trend to make modern Pontiacs from Camaros etc. and LS everything is really disheartening.

But I've got to check myself and seriously ask: Is this the same that loyal Studebaker, AMC, Olds, Packard, Plymouth, Hummer owners felt?

So...for me...take a Fiero and trying to make it a Ferrari or Lambo is equal to taking a Camaro and trying to make a GTO or Trans Am...she may be cute and expensive, but...

Old 05-02-2016, 11:18 PM

Talking Really?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alvin View Post

The current trend to make modern Pontiacs from Camaros etc. and LS everything is really disheartening.

But I've got to check myself and seriously ask: Is this the same that loyal Studebaker, AMC, Olds, Packard, Plymouth, Hummer owners felt?

So...for me...take a Fiero and trying to make it a Ferrari or Lambo is equal to taking a Camaro and trying to make a GTO or Trans Am...she may be cute and expensive, but...

Pretty disheartened here:http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/...d.php?t=676268

And here:http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/...d.php?t=769673

Old 05-02-2016, 11:26 PM
Suspended

Lightbulb Dick move!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alvin View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by b-man View Post
And WTF is that B-Man? You're all in for the LS bolt ins - good for you congrats! I'm not really...

Need I say more?

Edit: on second thought...you know what? You win. WGAF about any Pontiac really, right? Clone, copy and paste as if Pontiac never existed...winning?????

Last edited by Alvin; 05-02-2016 at 11:33 PM.
Old 05-02-2016, 11:30 PM

Just saying you looked pretty happy with the goings on in those threads.

Dick move?

How about you injecting your dislike of the LS trend into every thread possible, regardless of the subject matter.

Troll move.

You needn't say more.

Old 05-02-2016, 11:34 PM
Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by b-man View Post
Just saying you looked pretty happy with the goings on in those threads.

Dick move?

How about you injecting your dislike of the LS trend into every thread possible, regardless of the subject matter.

Troll move.
Interesting your direct hit on me...calling me a troll...as a Mod...

Old 05-02-2016, 11:36 PM

I call 'em as I see 'em.

As a Mod I would know.

Calling me a dick?

Not smart.

Quit while you're ahead.

Or not.