Suspension TECH Including Brakes, Wheels and tires

Old 06-16-2005, 07:49 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Yeah, I feel like launching one of my lower balljoints into some concrete. I pressed one in last night, and it went in like butter. Tried the second one, and had to press it out and start over maybe three or four times. No problem, I say, I'll try it again tomorrow when I am "fresh". Just tried it now, and it's still a no go! I am using a very high quality press from OTC. I am doing my best to get the balljoint set up as straight as possible before I start pressing it in, just like I did with the first one. And each time, it ends up going in cock-eyed and becomes impossible to press in!! I thought maybe the small amount of powdercoat in the control arm hole was restricting it, so I scraped that out and tried two more times, and still no go.

Here's a little pic of what it looked like this last time:

http://photobucket.com/albums/v708/2ManyCars/?action=vi...Crookedballjoint.jpg

Is there any possible reason why this might be happening? I'm not drunk, and I am doing the same thing with this balljoint as I did with the one that went in like butter. I don't know what you might be able to tell me other than "try, try again" but this is very frustrating!

Any help for this angry hack is appreciated

Old 06-16-2005, 07:49 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Yeah, I feel like launching one of my lower balljoints into some concrete. I pressed one in last night, and it went in like butter. Tried the second one, and had to press it out and start over maybe three or four times. No problem, I say, I'll try it again tomorrow when I am "fresh". Just tried it now, and it's still a no go! I am using a very high quality press from OTC. I am doing my best to get the balljoint set up as straight as possible before I start pressing it in, just like I did with the first one. And each time, it ends up going in cock-eyed and becomes impossible to press in!! I thought maybe the small amount of powdercoat in the control arm hole was restricting it, so I scraped that out and tried two more times, and still no go.

Here's a little pic of what it looked like this last time:

http://photobucket.com/albums/v708/2ManyCars/?action=vi...Crookedballjoint.jpg

Is there any possible reason why this might be happening? I'm not drunk, and I am doing the same thing with this balljoint as I did with the one that went in like butter. I don't know what you might be able to tell me other than "try, try again" but this is very frustrating!

Any help for this angry hack is appreciated

Old 06-16-2005, 08:04 PM
Ultimate Warrior

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Catalina Dave:
I'm not drunk </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Well there's your problem!

1979 Trans Am 400, 4-speed, 4 wheel disc.

View from the drivers seat racing down Atco Raceway- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GhYDMdOEC7A

Ride along in the other lane-http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mIzgpLtF_uw
Old 06-16-2005, 08:09 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Sometimes you just have to try to adjust the clamps position to get it to pull against the balljoints attempt to go in cockeyed.

Put the back bone of the clamp adjacent to the higher side of the joint while trying to press it in.

This tends to put more pressure on that side and helps drive it in a little straighter.

In the meantime,check out the cars HERE.