THE LOBBY A gathering place. Introductions, sports, showin' off your ride, birthday-anniversary-milestone, achievements, family oriented humor.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 04-16-2021, 10:03 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Car Key Difficulties

Annoying little story with a happy ending:

I bought a '75 Firebird that only had one set of keys. So I went to a locksmith to get copies. (I've had good luck with these guys before).

They picked a "C" blank and carved up a new ignition key. I got home and found it wouldn't even go in the lock more than halfway. Blank is obviously different upon closer inspection.

Go back to the same locksmith. They made up another key using a different blank. This one goes in 3/4 of the way and stops.

Go to the Ames catalog. It's obvious from their listings that there are (2) "C" blanks; one for 1976 and one for 1980. Guessing that my '75 got made with a '76 lock, I ordered the 1976 "C". I try it in the lock and it slides in perfectly.

I go to a different locksmith to get it cut. Saturday morning, 10:00 am. Sign says they're open 9-noon but nobody is there. Grrrrr....

Monday morning, I stop by the GMC Cadillac dealer that used to sell Pontiacs. They cut the Ames (GM) keys, no charge and they work PERFECT.

Kudos to Ames and the GMC dealer.

Eric

Life begins at the end of your comfort zone.

“The mind, once stretched by a new idea, never returns to its original dimensions.”