Old 02-27-2023, 06:06 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default want to start to restore my front grilles

just about to get on my front grills on my 72 formula . looking at a bunch of photos ,looks like they were not blacked out

and what paint is correct

Old 02-28-2023, 02:49 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Argent Silver, same as used on the Honeys and the rally wheels. Here is a nice shot of Mikes car. I saw this at MACN and its super nice.
1 of like 40 threads on the subject.. https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com...ht=grill+color

Last edited by Formulabruce; 02-28-2023 at 03:00 AM.
Old 02-28-2023, 08:30 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Formulabruce View Post
Argent Silver, same as used on the Honeys and the rally wheels. Here is a nice shot of Mikes car. I saw this at MACN and its super nice.
1 of like 40 threads on the subject.. https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com...ht=grill+color
thanks again . i searched all different ways and nothing came up .i must be doing something wrong

Old 02-28-2023, 10:10 AM
Ultimate Warrior

i repainted my 72 grilles with eastwood brand argent silver in a spray can, goes on nice & smooth and is the right color.

didnt the honeycomb wheels have a texture to it? the OER brand wheel paints definitely have a slightly coarse texture to it that looks correct for honey wheels but would be too rough for the grilles IMO. not sure what was used from teh factory but my grilles were smooth silver when i redid them.

Old 02-28-2023, 12:45 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Texture is in the rubber, Not the paint. Many folks get them too smooth, then look to get texture in the paint. Appearance was intended to be a rough cast Aluminum..

Old 02-28-2023, 01:15 PM
Ultimate Warrior

yes the rubber on honeys has texture, but the OER simulated magnesium wheel paint i mentioned has some texture to it too. probably not the best spray can option compared to the smooth eastwood argent paint i used for the grilles.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3105.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	57.6 KB
ID:	608088   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3069.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	61.2 KB
ID:	608089  

The Following User Says Thank You to 78w72 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-28-2023, 01:18 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Wouldn't it have to be paint of a plastic type and would it work on a '74 girll?

Also wondering what you doing for prep.

Old 02-28-2023, 01:31 PM
Ultimate Warrior

The eastwood paint works great on plastics, dont thinks its a specific plastic/vinyl paint like SEM for interiors is, but it goes on great and is very durable. prep is key to a good looking and lasting paint job.

for prepping most parts and the grilles i just clean them real good first with dish soap & warm water, then a final wipe with rubbing alcohol. lightly sand/scuff everything to get a smooth uniform finish, i use scotch brite pads to scuff a smooth surface or 400-600 grit sand paper to feather edge rough areas, then spray 1-2 coats of primer & smooth if needed, then paint in 2-3 light to medium wet coats with some time in between each coat, but follow the cans instructions if they differ much for the coats.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 78w72 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-28-2023, 03:57 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 78w72 View Post
The eastwood paint works great on plastics, dont thinks its a specific plastic/vinyl paint like SEM for interiors is, but it goes on great and is very durable. prep is key to a good looking and lasting paint job.

for prepping most parts and the grilles i just clean them real good first with dish soap & warm water, then a final wipe with rubbing alcohol. lightly sand/scuff everything to get a smooth uniform finish, i use scotch brite pads to scuff a smooth surface or 400-600 grit sand paper to feather edge rough areas, then spray 1-2 coats of primer & smooth if needed, then paint in 2-3 light to medium wet coats with some time in between each coat, but follow the cans instructions if they differ much for the coats.
yes that is what i did last night and looks like they came out great

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to grd777 For This Useful Post: