Old 02-13-2023, 12:48 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Fuel pump diaphragm repair kit

Can someone point me in the right direction for a fuel pump repair kit. 65 GTO single 4 barrel, a/c car. Pump has the bottom plate with 2 humps, as opposed to the continuous round bottom. Not having any luck searching here, or online. Any help appreciated.

Old 02-13-2023, 12:55 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I, too would like to rebuild some of my '64 fuel pumps. I"ve been lucky to not have a failure on the road, but I'd like to keep a rebuilt spare in my trunk.

I've often wondered why these old fuel pumps tolerate ethanol-laced gas. The diaphrams must be impervious to ethanol, even though they were manufactured many years before ethanol was used in our fuel.

'64 GTO Tripower Hardtop (Wife's Car)
'64 GTO Tripower Post Coupe (My Car)
'99 Bonneville SE Sedan
Old 02-13-2023, 07:38 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Call Claude Phillips. If he is still kicking, he WILL have what you need for fuel pumps!!!

618 842 3984

"Bill"!

Old 02-13-2023, 10:36 PM
Ultimate Warrior

After finding my paper catalog from Ames, I found that they have them. Will report back how it works out.

Old 02-14-2023, 08:32 PM

Default Then And Now Automotive

I just got a kit from Then And Now Automotive for my ‘65 GTO. But be aware, the owner is a bit of a loon.

He shipped me the wrong kit the first time (I supplied all the correct numbers), then he calmly explained that he had a lot of these mistakes going out the door lately.

I remained super nice and patient throughout our conversation, but all of a sudden he turned and started yelling about having to build all his kits by hand, and that he was one of the few around still doing it.

He has a God complex, so be aware if you decide to deal there. He did get me the right parts, but there was no need for him to explain to me how important he thinks he is.

Old 02-15-2023, 07:38 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Ahhh, The Dreaded "EXPERT" syndrome

Old 02-15-2023, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Hamlin View Post
Ahhh, The Dreaded "EXPERT" syndrome
It was certainly a strange conversation, Jeff. It started off very well until he started to go south on me. I don't take well to that sort of behaviour, so I called him on it. He did turn himself back around somewhat quickly, but the damage had already been done.

He shipped me the correct kit and I shipped him back the incorrect kit.

All is good now, I guess. Hopefully, this fuel pump kit lasts the life of the car (and/or me) and we won't be having another conversation.

Old 02-27-2023, 01:00 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Not super impressed with this kit. The diaphragm requires that the old rod be pressed through in hopes that the peened end will be able to be re-peened with the new diaphragm. Luckily all I needed was the oil seal, and the pulsation damper rubber to get us going again. Will have to search out either a different kit, or a rod that uses a nut from a different fuel pump for actual diaphragm replacement if(when) that becomes necessary. Just fyi

Old 02-28-2023, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott65 View Post
Not super impressed with this kit. The diaphragm requires that the old rod be pressed through in hopes that the peened end will be able to be re-peened with the new diaphragm. Luckily all I needed was the oil seal, and the pulsation damper rubber to get us going again. Will have to search out either a different kit, or a rod that uses a nut from a different fuel pump for actual diaphragm replacement if(when) that becomes necessary. Just fyi
I am not sure what you mean here. Did you separate the rod from the diaphragm? In my kit (the one I received that was actually the correct kit), the rod is attached permanently to the diaphragm, so you cannot separate them.

This diaphragm rod feeds through the oil seal, then attaches to the rocker arm up higher in the pump. It is a little tricky to "catch" the diaphragm rod on the rocker arm, but I got it on the third attempt.

Last edited by propuckstopper; 02-28-2023 at 01:04 PM.
Old 02-28-2023, 01:10 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Mine only came with the rubber diaphragm with a center hole in it. Instructions said basically some have a nut, some don't. If you don't, you're unlucky. The expectation of the kit maker is that if you have one that's peened you'll have to re use it. (The rod) Instructions are given, but it involves using a press to force the peened end through the metal washer, thus (hopefully) leaving enough metal intact to re peen the rod after installing it through the new diaphragm. Since my(Dad's) diaphragm wasn't bad I re used it. Hopefully sometime I'll come across a rod that's threaded. Otherwise I'll look for a kit that has a complete diaphragm/rod assembly when it becomes necessary. For now the lower rubber that serves as a pulsation damper, and the oil seal were enough to solve our issues.

Old 02-28-2023, 05:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott65 View Post
Mine only came with the rubber diaphragm with a center hole in it. Instructions said basically some have a nut, some don't. If you don't, you're unlucky. The expectation of the kit maker is that if you have one that's peened you'll have to re use it. (The rod) Instructions are given, but it involves using a press to force the peened end through the metal washer, thus (hopefully) leaving enough metal intact to re peen the rod after installing it through the new diaphragm. Since my(Dad's) diaphragm wasn't bad I re used it. Hopefully sometime I'll come across a rod that's threaded. Otherwise I'll look for a kit that has a complete diaphragm/rod assembly when it becomes necessary. For now the lower rubber that serves as a pulsation damper, and the oil seal were enough to solve our issues.
Hi Scott. I now understand what you mean. I read your post earlier and saw you got your kit from Ames. I wrongly assumed you ordered from Then and Now Automotive like I did.

Just to reiterate, the second kit I got from Then and Now Automotive worked well. It very closely mimicked the original AC parts that came out of the pump.

So, I am happy with the parts and the pump is reassembled.

I just didn't much care for the phone conversation and the lecture from the owner, so I posted here to warn people.

Old 02-28-2023, 05:57 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Appreciate the heads up. I may check into that when the time comes.