Old 03-23-2023, 01:08 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Trunk lock key code & removing lock

How hard is it to pick open the trunk lock without damaging it, to get access to the key code stamped on it? Need to make up another trunk key, missing on this car.

The key code is not written on the PHS.

Old 03-23-2023, 03:57 PM

Rider,

I can't help with picking the lock, but I also went down this road,
but I used a "sledge hammer" to get the truck open.

My 64 Lemans came with an ignition and glove box key - but neither fit the truck.

IIRC the lock smith I used said that the glove box is 4 tumblers and the trunk 6.
He didn't know what the correct combination for the truck was, but that there was only 4 (or maybe 6) possible combinations.

So he made one of each (this is the sledge hammer) and I tried them until I got the one that fit, he then made a couple more copies for just in case.

This did cost a few bucks, but it was still cheaper then him coming on site and picking the lock.

Dan

Old 03-23-2023, 04:32 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Ignition and door key was the same on these cars. Trunk and glove was the same key also, I believe.

I removed a door lock and gave the code to a locksmith. He made an original key based on the code for about $25. Worked good.

Now I am focused on the trunk.

Can the trunk lock be easily removed if I can get into the trunk, maybe by removing the rear seat backrest?

Old 03-23-2023, 05:12 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Having accidentally locked myself in the trunk of my 64 (don’t ask) I can confirm that it opens easily from the inside.

As I recall you just turn the center on the inside portion with a slotted screwdriver

Old 03-23-2023, 05:43 PM
Ultimate Warrior

1_Wild_Cat. I have to know the "inside" story. Please elaborate, you can't embarrass yourself any more than you already have. Coming to the Portland swap meet?

Old 03-23-2023, 06:44 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Once open, is it easy to take the lock out to read the code?

I don't remember if there are any metal supports that prevent someone from crawling through the back seat.

Old 03-23-2023, 09:10 PM
Ultimate Warrior

You first remove the back seat to get access. Tape a medium flat blade screwdriver to a broom handle & reach thru the opening with it. Insert the blade tip into the slot in the latch mechanism then turn to the left....your trunk should now pop open. I've done it that way 100's of times.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to steve v For This Useful Post:
Old 03-23-2023, 11:13 PM
Ultimate Warrior

If long screw driver doesn't do it. use a 1/2 " socket on long extensions to remove the trunk lock.

Old 03-24-2023, 06:23 AM

I kind of wish I'd of seen these responses before I spend the money to have 4 keys made, but then, back then I didn't know this site existed.

But, what does it take to remove the rear seat? (after I get the spare windshield out that's on it.)

Dan

Old 03-24-2023, 08:37 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by DLNorth View Post
I kind of wish I'd of seen these responses before I spend the money to have 4 keys made, but then, back then I didn't know this site existed.

But, what does it take to remove the rear seat? (after I get the spare windshield out that's on it.)

Dan
Removing the back seat is easy. If there are arm rests on the side panels, remove those first. Then, on the bottom cushion push rearward and lift up on the bottom frame of the cushion. A good firm push rearward usually gets it loose of the hooks on the floor. There are two hooks one on either side roughly in the middle of where a passenger would be when sitting on that side. Then lift it up and remove it from the car. For the back cushion, there should be two tabs at the bottom mounted to the floor. Bend the tabs gently free and pull the bottom of the cushion frame free of the tabs. Then lift the cushion straight up to free it from hooks which are holding it in place up by the package shelf. Once free of those hooks, just remove it from the car. If the cardboard separator is still there, it us usually just hanging on the hooks by the package shelf and can easily be removed.

The Following User Says Thank You to Rich-Tripower For This Useful Post:
Old 03-24-2023, 09:26 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
1_Wild_Cat. I have to know the "inside" story. Please elaborate, you can't embarrass yourself any more than you already have. Coming to the Portland swap meet?
Not really that embarrassing. I was alone putting on the new trunk lid with no way to support one end while bolting it to the hinges. The rods were out so it wouldn't support itself. So I decided to set it on a blanket and get in the trunk with a flashlight and then move it back and bolt it down. A thinking man would have removed the latch but instead I put a rag over the catch on the body. Well - I must have hit the rag with my leg climbing in.

You can predict the rest. Set the lid in place and click...bolt the lid down. No screwdriver so I let myself out with my pocket knife.

No sure if I'm going to get to the swap meet. I will be in Portland for a conference - but I'm not sure if I can slip away yet.

Old 03-24-2023, 11:49 AM

Thanks Rich,
I hope it gets warm enough here (soon) to get them out.
Dan