Old 11-15-2022, 10:38 AM
Ultimate Warrior

To give an example, had dad's car at the track this past April.

I've had the fuel tuning pretty spot on with the Holley Sniper Stealth, up here at 5,000 feet elevation (DA even higher). I do keep things a pinch on the rich side a few percent just because.

At the track, now at sea level, the opposite happened than what I usually experience. That day was hot, in the 90's and we had DA around 4000 feet.
Made the first pass, with the same high elevation tune and closed loop correction was pulling 14-15%. Still went 127 mph.

Technically you can let this thing self tune, but honestly from what I've seen with it, it would take 3-4 passes to really nail down the base fuel table and make it's changes to match the AFR I wanted. To save wear and tear on the car and with the limited runs we have, what I did was went into the fuel table, removed 10% from the WOT areas, which took all of 30 seconds on my laptop, and went right back out for another pass. This change picked the car up to over 128 mph, without lifting the hood, and closed loop fueling was now within 3-4%. Now I can save this tune with the weather conditions for another day. I literally had the fueling dialed in within a few percent in a matter of seconds with one pass.

With the carb, I'd be out there for 30-40 minutes under the hood, with carb bowls off and gas everywhere, doing math calculations trying to figure out how much jet to pull out, and may not hit it right on the first try.

https://youtu.be/XqEydRRRwqE
Old 11-16-2022, 07:31 AM
Ultimate Warrior

And the real part that sucks is that I have to put the carb back the way it was before I drive it back up the mountain. That gets old after a few trips.
That's what makes the EFI plunge worthwhile to me.

Old 12-12-2022, 09:51 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Send a message via AIM to takid455

I use a sequential multiport , distrubtorless system. I designed it & made to work with an OE ECU & sensors. I don't offer a plug n play kit as that was never the intent , however we've been looking into it. I do in house installs for those who want a turn key product.

Here's a video of it in operation.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vhTHRymPSlM&t=8s

Old 12-18-2022, 08:46 AM
Senior Chief

Default Pro Flo 4

Same thoughts here, by the time you buy a TB setup and distributor, nearing the cost of a pro flo setup. For the difference in the balance of the cost, gets you a tech upgrade from tbi to multi port.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0012.jpeg
Views:	161
Size:	58.9 KB
ID:	603740   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0011-1.jpeg
Views:	139
Size:	53.8 KB
ID:	603741  

KRE 461,310 CFM 85cc, KB pistons, Eagle rods, Ohio crank KRE custom HR236,Dougs ceramic,Edelbrock Pro Flo 4. Quick Performance 9".
552HP 594 TQ
The Following User Says Thank You to gassman_67 For This Useful Post:
Old 12-19-2022, 11:34 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Send a message via AIM to takid455

I run a Pontiac 24X Multiport & coil near plug system. Not a low price setup (sniper/ fitech), but close to similar setups on the market. I have had excellent results from it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vhTHRymPSlM&t=8s

Old 12-19-2022, 11:42 AM
Ultimate Warrior

The only issue with the Edelbrock setup is the lack of tunability, they are more can tune oriented with very basic changes allowed.

With that said I really don't view them as a multiport EFI option on the same level or playing field as some of the other stuff.

Not to make it sound bad, but there is a reason it's cheaper than other multiport setups and near the cost of the EFI throttle body stuff.

At least with the Holley EFI throttle body systems, I have full control of everything using a laptop and can make increment and intricate changes to anything and everything.

Basically the more you spend the more you get. A really good multiport EFI setup with the software and ability to tune everything is pretty darn expensive once it's all said and done.

That just needs to be pointed out to anyone considering EFI and reading these threads, because the entry level EFI person is not going to be aware of these idiosyncrasies with these different units, as this stuff is generally not pointed out in the advertising.

Old 12-19-2022, 06:09 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I've had the FAST XFI Sportsman system on my mild 455 for several years now, no issues. It is basically a FAST EZ 2.0, but with a better, more tunable ECU. It is actually a bit cheaper than the EZ 2.0, since it does not have the handheld unit (you use a laptop on this version). I have the FAST Dual Sync distributor with it.

I've put EZ 2.0 on a couple of other Pontiacs, and those have worked great as well.

David Page WAS the main guy at FAST. He got promoted to run Edelbrock's supercharger program, after the merger. I talked to him about the Edelbrock ProFlo systems, and he is rather impressed with them. He said they use a different algorithm than FAST, but it seems to work well.

'67 Firebird [sold], ; 11.27 @ 119.61, 7.167 @ 96.07, with UD 280/280 (108LSA/ 109 ICL)solid cam. [1.537, 7.233 @93.61, 11.46 @ 115.4 w/ old UD 288/296 108 hydraulic cam] Feb '05 HPP, home-ported "16" D-ports, dished pistons (pump gas only), 3.42 gears, 275/60 DR's, 750DP, T2, full exhaust

My webpage http://lnlpd.com/home
Old 12-19-2022, 06:43 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Send a message via AIM to JLMounce

The Pro FLow 4 systems have some nice things going for them. They've got comparatively a very nice harness and I hear strong things about the quality of the ECU.

I don't like the lack of granularity in the tuning options, but if the ECU's algorithms and speeds are so great as to not be needed, then that's not a huge issue. My biggest concern is that this is a sequential port setup (not batch fired) that uses a single oxygen sensor for fuel data. This leaves an entire bank of the engine dumb to injector issues. The TBI systems can get away with a single oxygen sensor because they are feeding common plenums, not individual runners. The fact that failure point is allowed to exist, regardless of the failure probability is not something I'd be willing to tolerate.

It's why IMHO if you feel the need for SMPI, I'd pass over the Pro Flow offerings and look at MS3, Holley HP/Dominator, Haltech or Fueltech. Especially because at that level, you gain access to CnP ignition which is a pretty big game changer over a phased traditional distributor.

Old 02-19-2023, 08:56 AM
Senior Chief

I'm running Pro flo 4 also, only a few short trips so far as the car is not quite finished.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	9110.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	51.6 KB
ID:	607472  

KRE 461,310 CFM 85cc, KB pistons, Eagle rods, Ohio crank KRE custom HR236,Dougs ceramic,Edelbrock Pro Flo 4. Quick Performance 9".
552HP 594 TQ
Old 02-21-2023, 05:27 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Running a Haltech system here. Previously was Megasquirt MS3X, but wanted DBW and a few other goodies. I ran the Megasquirt system for 10+ years and it was flawless. I've put about 2 miles on the Haltech before I pulled the windscreen out of it to fix some rust so haven't managed to do much testing lately while I wait for my spot in the panel shop to open up.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_1338.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	70.0 KB
ID:	607628  

Old 03-29-2023, 03:57 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Send a message via AIM to JLMounce

For those interested in the Pro Flow from Edelbrock, I've started seeing advertisements for Aces fuel injection. They offer a sequential system close to that of the Pro Flow, but that addresses my two main complaints with the edelbrock system.

1. It contains an oxygen sensor for each bank
2. You can tune it via a laptop to open up options outside of what is available in the handheld only

I haven't seen one of these in person and don't know much about it's software capabilities, but I thought it was interesting nonetheless. It looks like you would have to piece this together with their standalone unit and a pontiac manifold, but it appears they offer everything else from the distributor, or coil packs to the ECU, harness etc. Price seems to be decent.

https://acesefi.com/