THE LOBBY A gathering place. Introductions, sports, showin' off your ride, birthday-anniversary-milestone, achievements, family oriented humor.

Old 03-29-2023, 10:40 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Pontiac road trip in June to Tennessee

So I've been seriously toying with the idea of moving to Tennessee. Rather than flying down, I'm driving down so I have the freedom to explore without any time tables.

That said, theres two events going on in June that interest me. The Bandit Run, and Pontiacs at Pigeon Forge.

I know about the Bandit Run. Seems like they're doing it differently this year, and only staying within the state. Works well for me, as it's the state I'm looking at.

What's the deal with Pontiacs at Pigeon Forge? How big is the show usually? I see it's a two day event, indoor and outdoor. Both events are a week apart from each other. I had planned on staying down there a week, so basically I need to choose between the two.

I'm looking at the Knoxville area, so I'm learning towards going down the week of the Pigeon Forge show, but I'm open to either one. Any suggestions?

I'd be taking my 77 W72 Y82 I drug out of the woods in Maine after sitting 27 years. Figured it be cool to road trip it before I blow it apart and it goes on the rotisserie. Should be about a 2500-300] mile round trip depending on where I go and how much I explore.

1970 Trans Am RAIII 4 speed
1971 Trans Am 5.3 LM7
1977 Trans Am W72 Y82
1987 Grand National
The Following User Says Thank You to 72projectbird For This Useful Post:
Old 03-29-2023, 02:22 PM
Ultimate Warrior

The end of June is also POCI Nationals in Murfreesboro, TN. 6/26-7/1

Pontiacs at Pigeon Forge is a great event. I can't remember but i think they had about 175-200 cars

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to necdb3 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-29-2023, 04:58 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Think I saw where PIPF had around 350 cars last year. This year is a new venue. It costs a little more but this show is a fund raiser for St. Jude's so go and have a good time and donate to a worthy cause.

Old 03-29-2023, 05:01 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Me too. If we have to pay reparations, which is on the slate, I am outta CA, where I've lived for me entire life. Nevada, Tennessee, anywhere but here.

Old 03-29-2023, 10:29 PM

The Hot Rod Power Tour is in that part of the country this year in June. It starts near Atlanta then goes to Columbia, Rockingham, Charlotte and ends in Bristol Tennessee. It is June 12-16

https://view.ceros.com/motortrend/power-tour-1-1/p/1

The Following User Says Thank You to 68BeaumontSD For This Useful Post:
Old 03-30-2023, 07:31 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I've never done Pontiacs at Pigeon Forge, don't even think that was a thing back when I was making trips in the bird down there. I used to attend the Pigeon Forge rod run every other year or so back then and usually drove the Firebird down.

Back then 2000 cars at least and always a good time. For me it was usually about 1000 miles on the bird in 3-4 days. You must live close, 250-300 miles round trip is easy peasy. I do that in a day just going to Phoenix for a car event.

Absolutely drive your car down and have some fun. It's a beautiful area to drive and explore, especially up in the mountains.

https://youtu.be/XqEydRRRwqE
Old 03-30-2023, 09:18 AM

Relocated to the mountains in NW Georgia, going a little over 2 years now. Beautiful here. Heading to PIPF bringing the 64, it should be a great event from everyone I've talked to. Will then make it to POCI, and in between to Hiawassee, British in the Blue, it doesn't get any better than that!

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MIAGIMAN For This Useful Post:
Old 03-30-2023, 10:23 AM

PIPF is a great event. Mike & family have done such a great job with it… I think car count was in 330 range last yr… This year will be moving to new venue. The LeConte Center…. The Leconte Center is the newest & largest venue in PF. This will afford a large indoor area for cars this year….I think the move will only help grow the event… If you have never visited this area, there are tons of shopping for the gals,& lots of attractions for the kids….Swap meet has had some growth in past too…. If you’re a parts vendor, this would be a great show for you…. As stated before , this show is a fundraiser for StJude. All non profit, family ran show with small town atmosphere…. Come join us & help it grow….

Old 03-30-2023, 06:19 PM
Senior Chief

We have been to PIPF four times. It is a great run event. I believe last year there weee about 350 cars. We have plans to go again this year.

Old 03-30-2023, 07:14 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I love Tennessee! We moved here 3 years ago from Utah. We're in the southwest part of the state, but if my wife had her wishes we'd be somewhere near the Pigeon Forge area. We went to Pontiacs in Pigeon Forge once, and this year we're bringing my 66 GTO convertible.

66 GTO convertible 389/4 speed (parents bought new)
73 Firebird Formula 400/4 speed
74 GTO 455/4 speed
74 Grand Am
The Following User Says Thank You to importsmasher For This Useful Post:
Old 03-30-2023, 08:48 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I was at PF last year with a 69 T/A. One of 3 real ones there. Great show, would definitely go back but this year we are going to go to POCI with a 72 T/A. I don't feel like making that long 725 mile trip (each way) twice in one month.

Old 03-31-2023, 01:58 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Tennessee has received a Ton of Water ( flooding) last few years depending on where you are. John Hurd seems to love it though ( second gen graveyard)
Advice.. make 100% Sure your radiator, cooling system ( 160 t stat) and AC are working at 100% . Humidity can suck..
Have a blast!!

Old 04-06-2023, 12:57 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Formulabruce View Post
Tennessee has received a Ton of Water ( flooding) last few years depending on where you are. John Hurd seems to love it though ( second gen graveyard)
Advice.. make 100% Sure your radiator, cooling system ( 160 t stat) and AC are working at 100% . Humidity can suck..
Have a blast!!

Unfortunately no AC. It does have an aluminum rad, 160 thermostat, and all new hoses and belts.

Seeing as this is strongly looking like its gonna happen, I do have a short list of things I want to fix/replace.

It needs a clutch. The disengagement is at the floor, and the release is pretty high. It hates being power shifted, and definitely slips. So it's gotta go.

Rear diff cover leaks a little. I'll go through it with some seals and new fluid.

Just patched up the rear floors with a stack of NH plates and self tappers to hopefully cut down on the chance of carbon monoxide poisoning. lol

I put about 600 miles on it last fall. I think it'll make the trip no problem. I think I'd just take the Mass Pike out to Rt84, and then follow Rt81 all the way through VA down into TN. There's some pretty good bbq places to stop on that route along the way.

1971 Trans Am 5.3 LM7
1977 Trans Am W72 Y82
1987 Grand National
The Following User Says Thank You to 72projectbird For This Useful Post:
Old 04-06-2023, 01:39 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Moved from MA to SW FL in 2018. Have never regretted it.

The Following User Says Thank You to Mr_GTO For This Useful Post:
Old 04-06-2023, 01:52 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_GTO View Post
Moved from MA to SW FL in 2018. Have never regretted it.
My neighbor did that 2 years ago. Went to Naples. He seems to be enjoying himself.

1971 Trans Am 5.3 LM7
1977 Trans Am W72 Y82
1987 Grand National
Old 04-07-2023, 04:44 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Since this will probably turn into a thread documenting my trip, I figured I should keep you guys updated.

Got most of the big holes patched up via license plates. Installed my trusty old Pioneer head unit that's been in a million vehicles. Also scored some sweet front seats off marketplace for cheap. I'll keep these in the car while I'm redoing the originals. They look identical to the originals when done, but I have this thing where I like to keep the parts that came off the car, and put them back on (even if financially ot doesn't make much sense).

Up next is a new clutch. The one in it is tired. Hates being power shifted, and is low.

1971 Trans Am 5.3 LM7
1977 Trans Am W72 Y82
1987 Grand National
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to 72projectbird For This Useful Post:
Old 04-08-2023, 09:05 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Those stock shifter are NOT made to abuse much. I have received the phone call with a voice that said ( no joke) "I can't get my car outta second gear" I laughed HARD till he said he was Serious LOL. He was playing "Z" pattern shifting on the old girl and well, its worn......

Old 04-09-2023, 12:43 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Formulabruce View Post
Those stock shifter are NOT made to abuse much. I have received the phone call with a voice that said ( no joke) "I can't get my car outta second gear" I laughed HARD till he said he was Serious LOL. He was playing "Z" pattern shifting on the old girl and well, its worn......
Yeah, but I have a feeling the ol girl doesn't make enough power to hurt anything. That'll be changing once it goes under the knife though.

That said, I promise I won't call you stranded in VA somewhere saying my shifter is stuck lol

Happy Easter!

1971 Trans Am 5.3 LM7
1977 Trans Am W72 Y82
1987 Grand National
Old 04-10-2023, 08:07 PM
Senior Chief

I live in Nevada but my 92 year old mother lives in Johnson City so I visit often. It’s a cute little college town, very affordable housing and surprisingly good restaurants. Near Bristol Motor Speedway. I like a lot about Tennessee except for the F’d up politics and an abundance of confederate flags. I’m from Connecticut and have been referred to as “a f’n yankee” and we’re not talking baseball.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Old 04-11-2023, 07:32 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid View Post
I live in Nevada but my 92 year old mother lives in Johnson City so I visit often. It’s a cute little college town, very affordable housing and surprisingly good restaurants. Near Bristol Motor Speedway. I like a lot about Tennessee except for the F’d up politics and an abundance of confederate flags. I’m from Connecticut and have been referred to as “a f’n yankee” and we’re not talking baseball.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I'd be lying if I said politics weren't one of the reasons I want to move there. It's all personal preference.

As we get closer to the trip starting, I'll post up the route I'm taking. It be cool to meet some people along the way!

1971 Trans Am 5.3 LM7
1977 Trans Am W72 Y82
1987 Grand National