Suspension TECH Including Brakes, Wheels and tires

Old 01-30-2023, 08:30 PM

Default Saginaw 800 stub shaft play during assembly

hello all,
I am looking for advice regarding a Saginaw 800 steering box. I have torn apart my box, cleaned and installed all the seals and needle bearings but I have a question about the ball bearing installation in the rack piston.
I have inserted all 24 balls following the manual and as I check the movement of the stub shaft, it turns a bit less than a quarter turn before the rack piston moves, going in either direction. I didn't feel this was right so I have reinstalled the balls 4 times and each time the stub shaft play is the same. its as if I'm missing balls but 24 came out and 24 went in. is this play normal?
I do not have the adjuster plug torqued to spec yet as this play in the stub has confused me.
I have confirmed that the worm shaft is moving with the stub shaft/valve body assembly.

thank you

Old 01-30-2023, 10:34 PM

The sloppiness may be factory built or result from years of wear. I was able to achieve responsive sensitive performance by selecting larger diameter ball bearings. They come in kits and you may get lucky on eBay or you'll have to pull them from other used steering boxes. You'll know you have the correct size if the preload is in range. you'll need to invest in the in-oz torque wrenches and a micrometer (like a digital Mitutoyo) that can get a +digit in 10-thousands which is enough to cover the ball bearing tolerance range. If you have access to a 100-thousands version, great but it'll be tough to use since temperature will affect the measurement. I found that the factory units were never really installed with the default #7, either because I measured them used or because they ran out. Once the correct bearings and pitman arm preloads are set, you'll readily feel the center high point which helps in keeping the steering wheel straight.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	PXL_20221026_185052631.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	86.8 KB
ID:	606384   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20170524_203646.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	105.8 KB
ID:	606385   Click image for larger version

Name:	Table of selective ball sizes with tolerances.jpg
Views:	59