Old 01-01-2022, 06:50 PM

Default 62 LeMans Drive train question

I bought a 62 LeMans 2 door coupe, automatic 2 speed 1 bbl Rochester last winter. Engine runs great and the only problem I have is when slowing down for a stop I get a strong vibration somewhere in the drive train when I get down to say 10 mph. If I shift it into neutral the vibration immediately goes away but I don’t want to do that at every stop. I increased the idle speed to about 900rpm but it didn’t help. I don’t know where I should go from here.

Old 01-02-2022, 10:13 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

First the idle should be 580 to 600 RPM with the engine warmed up and in drive. Where is the vibration coming from? Front, rear, right, or left? If you just purchased the car go to www.LittleIndians.com Membership is $15.00 per year, and you will have access to a lot of technical information, support, and a bi-monthly newsletter. All about the 61 to 63 Tempest, or LeMans cars.

Old 01-02-2022, 05:40 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Thinking about your symptoms. Get on a road that you can slow down without bothering other traffic. While slowing down, at around 15 move your gear selector to L. If you don't fee the vibration then the transmission is not downshifting like it should. High gear at that low speed will vibrate will feel every engine power stroke. Give me a pm with your location. I may know someone local to you who can help.

Old 01-02-2022, 06:03 PM

That’s a good idea. I have my car In Kokomo IN, but I’m in southern Indiana at the moment. I’ll try your suggestion as soon as I get back into town. Thanks for your help. I’m also a member of Little Indians, I’m surprised no one thought of that.

Old 01-03-2022, 12:35 AM

Yes may not be downshifting properly sticky governors are a bit tricky. I found my vibration to be in the bushings in the support for the rope shaft. The deterioration seem to bounce the rope more than the factory wanted. I found my issue soon after the vibration the rope started to whip into the housing causing a sort of exhaust kind of loose sounding like.

Old 01-03-2022, 12:45 AM

Were you able to locate replacement bushings for your rope drive? I imagine that they will be specific to just this application since we’re dealing with a rotating rod with a 3” deflection in it. I’m not sure I even understand how a bushing or bearing would work in that situation. Thanks for your knowledge and help in my situation.

Old 01-11-2022, 09:43 PM

Yes I got a nos set form one of the little Indians members. Have you joined that club? It’s very helpful.

Old 01-11-2022, 09:46 PM

It’s a pair of bearings with a square rubber block around them that fit snugly in the housing. Almost like a Carrier bearing on a drive shaft with a two piece rear driveshaft for a conventional truck or car. I think you could probably make a set if you saw the actual original pieces weren’t extremely complicated.

Old 01-11-2022, 09:50 PM

Thanks for the info. Yes I joined Little Indians several months ago.

Old 01-11-2022, 09:52 PM

My rope shaft bounced around in the housing so bad. I could manipulate it with a little bit of throttle pressure to go away or a little more throttle pressure to make it louder going up or down hills. Best fun a red light people would look at me and thought my car was going to done through a rod out into their fender and they would get scared and drive away. I used to give it just enough gas to make it bang really loud. My car was mostly a hot rod/rat rod deal. my friends all got very upset with me when I fixed the noise nobody ever wanted to go for a ride ever again. They just love that looks at everybody would give you with that wacky sound

Old 01-11-2022, 10:15 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I remember what a PITA it was to do them in my 63 stick shift tempest.Never done a auto.Tom