Old 03-25-2022, 06:40 AM
Senior Chief

I've been using the electric DA's for about ten years. Decided to try them out when the old was finished.

Old 03-25-2022, 08:40 AM
Ultimate Warrior

For simply sanding old paint off I use a $40 ryobi electric sander. My primary business is woodworking and we go through a couple of these a year. I have found after trying most that the Ryobis are the best deal for the money. I have full air in my shop but use it mostly for fastening. I even bought a battery die grinder that has replaced the air one.

I have a Porter Cable barrel sander that I bought years ago that is a much better tool, but the little palm sanders do just as good and are easier to use.

Of course theres no way I would polish with either. I have a couple dedicated buffers for such.

Musclah, do you use foam pads anytime during the buff/polish process?

Old 03-25-2022, 09:17 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by TAKerry View Post
For simply sanding old paint off I use a $40 ryobi electric sander. My primary business is woodworking and we go through a couple of these a year. I have found after trying most that the Ryobis are the best deal for the money. I have full air in my shop but use it mostly for fastening. I even bought a battery die grinder that has replaced the air one.

I have a Porter Cable barrel sander that I bought years ago that is a much better tool, but the little palm sanders do just as good and are easier to use.

Of course theres no way I would polish with either. I have a couple dedicated buffers for such.

Musclah, do you use foam pads anytime during the buff/polish process?
Yes…I use a foam pad on the Rotary with polish …after the heavy cut ,with the wool pad. Then I have a spider cut foam pad that goes on my DA ..with polish to rid the swirl marks…. Then another foam pad for the “ Final Step “ magic juice. The micro fiber disc from Mcguires is another option ( but old technology) …compared to the 3D foam pads.

Old 03-25-2022, 09:35 AM
Senior Chief

Foam pads come in different softness, which is identified by color. Just like microfiber towels. The harder pads are for grittier compounds, soft for very fine finishing at the end of the job. Same step down process for the compunds.

Old 03-25-2022, 10:32 AM
Ultimate Warrior

My guy (salesman) told me to use the wool pads first to buff? then use the foam to polish. I do have a couple of different level of foam, as well as three colours of wool that correspond to the compounds. Although I can get a really nice shine I find this step my weakness. I always see a couple of cars that just wow compared to mine.

Old 03-25-2022, 11:58 AM
Senior Chief

When you look at your finish under fluorescent or LED lights, can you see very fine scratches or lines?* It could be wet sanding scratches also. If yes, you need to polish until they are gone.* Those fine lines* create a slight haze.

Using the Porter Cable (or similar) with a soft foam pad and a fine polish at a low rpm and traveling very slow on the surface will make them disappear.* Or you might need to start over.* I can't see what you have

You can run the Porter Cable in a single spot at low rpm to get stubborn marks out. Carefully though.

Old 03-25-2022, 12:06 PM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by MUSLCAH View Post
Hoovdaddy. You’d like that compound...its ceramic !
Yeah! A couple months after new paint though.

Old 03-25-2022, 12:09 PM
Senior Chief

If using a tool as a sander and a polisher, you would take a risk of buffing debris into the paint. I'd say you need two tools, so you don't destroy a paint job.

Old 03-25-2022, 08:42 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoovDaddy View Post
Yeah! A couple months after new paint though.
Made for fresh paint .

Old 03-25-2022, 08:57 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by TAKerry View Post
My guy (salesman) told me to use the wool pads first to buff? then use the foam to polish. I do have a couple of different level of foam, as well as three colours of wool that correspond to the compounds. Although I can get a really nice shine I find this step my weakness. I always see a couple of cars that just wow compared to mine.
The best thing you can do for the ultimate shine …is to throw all that Mcquries and 3M buffing and polishing product in the toilet. It’s pure Gaahbage. Those products are full of “Fillers”… which gives the impression of a high luster finish….but in reality,it’s just lip stick on a pig.. After those fillers are removed from those fine scratches ( usually a week ) …it looks scratchy again.

The Following User Says Thank You to MUSLCAH For This Useful Post:
Old 03-25-2022, 09:05 PM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Made for fresh paint .
I was referring to Ceramic Wax. I stopped using conventional wax products when Ceramic Wax came out. The Porter Cable was great for applying wax along with final polishing of new paint.

You should always wait to wax a new paint job. Rule of thumb has always been 90 days in the sun, but depends on how much paint was applied and how it cured. Most paint topcoat Tech Sheets will state the recommended time. If the car sits inside I wait 6-12 months. Todays polishes give excellent gloss.

The reason is, paint needs to outgas as it cures, meaning the solvents need to escape. If you wax too soon you trap the solvents and that can cause blisters and bubbles.

Old 03-25-2022, 09:05 PM
Ultimate Warrior

;sorry to steal the thread here…I got carried away…lol

Old 03-25-2022, 09:12 PM
Senior Chief

Quote:
The best thing you can do for the ultimate shine …is to throw all that Mcquries and 3M buffing and polishing product in the toilet. It’s pure Gaahbage. Those products are full of “Fillers”… which gives the impression of a high luster finish….but in reality,it’s just lip stick on a pig.. After those fillers are removed from those fine scratches ( usually a week ) …it looks scratchy again.
I don't have that problem. There are many ways to get a perfect paint job.

Old 03-25-2022, 09:17 PM
Senior Chief

I just ordered a bottle of 520 to try it out. But I still like my Meguiars. (since 1969)

Old 03-25-2022, 09:29 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

ACA 3D 500 on a black wool pad is the way to go for compounding imho…. Much better than 3M.

Don

Old 03-25-2022, 10:02 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
I just ordered a bottle of 520 to try it out. But I still like my Meguiars. (since 1969)
Just this trio…is all you need. You’ll thank me later. I have tried a lot of product over the years….and this stuff is hands down ,the best so Faah. Just to let you know….you cannot buff this stuff to a shine…Cuz it has no fillers it in. You will be amazed ,I guarantee l
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	F2DD2B98-F28E-404C-8EC4-A0D2812C1C0A.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	87.8 KB
ID:	587139  

Old 03-25-2022, 10:04 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Just this trio…is all you need. You’ll thank me later. I have tried a lot of product over the years….and this stuff is hands down ,the best so Faah. Just to let you know….you cannot buff this stuff to a shine…Cuz it has no fillers it in. You will be amazed ,I guarantee l You have to use the 500 with their wool pad for the initial cut…then the 520… I just hate giving out all my secrets …but that’s the kind of guy Iam.

Old 03-25-2022, 10:07 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhutton View Post
ACA 3D 500 on a black wool pad is the way to go for compounding imho…. Much better than 3M.

Don
Did I put you onto this hidden gem…or you already had it ..

Old 03-26-2022, 08:34 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Did I put you onto this hidden gem…or you already had it ..
No I’ve been using it for quite a while. Learned about it on the SPI forum.

I also started cutting using Assilex and Buflex abrasives from Eagle which are a real timesaver imho.

Don

The Following User Says Thank You to dhutton For This Useful Post:
Old 03-29-2022, 06:48 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Thumbs up I love the Porter Cable

I'm not doing anything beyond maintaining my 27YO paint but man it makes it so easy.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	POLISH 5.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	52.6 KB
ID:	587390