The Body Shop TECH General questions that don't fit in any other forum

Old 04-01-2022, 12:11 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I got mine from Amazon ...

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

In a recent test I attached these to the window, and at the same time an expensive, pump up 4.5" cup from Woods .... the next day the Amazon cups were still attached, the Woods had let go.

The key with the those less expensive double cups is seating them properly. Press each cup firmly in place by itself before locking the lever, then do the other one. And of course make sure everything is very clean, and preferable not too cold.

The one nice thing about the pump up type is they have an indicator that lets you know when they are losing vacuum ... typically way before they would let go.

Old 04-03-2022, 07:28 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Well the M12 Gun works fine for the urethane .. I heated it up to about 100 degrees in the shop oven first.

Installation went mostly good, on MY side, the wife's side had bit of a booboo

The big problem was the glass, or the car .. the glass did not sit in the frame flat ... it was like a table with one long leg. The upper right corner was too high and wouldn't sit on it's block. We tried moving the blocks around to all different locations .. no luck. Ended up have to attach suction cups to the corner on the inside of the glass and I weighted it down with a smallish surface plate attached with tie downs. Not sure what the long term effects will be, it does seal at the moment.

Can glass take a "set" sitting on the flat in rafters for 30 years? BTW .. it is the original rear window.

Will post some pics after I do a bit of razor blade work. Haven't gone down to check it yet this morning ... I'll be amazed if the suction cups are still holding.

Update: Yes, the cups are still holding 12 hours later, very impressive. Block is every bit of 40, maybe 50 pounds. Urethane has setup nicely. We'll see how it looks with the weight removed and after some razor blade work.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	SuctionCups.jpg
Views:	293
Size:	80.6 KB
ID:	587854  

Last edited by dataway; 04-03-2022 at 08:26 AM.
Old 04-03-2022, 01:52 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Photo of a typical section of the glass ... camera kept focusing on what was behind the glass on the others. Photo doesn't really tell you much.

Suction cups ... about 18 hours and counting

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Window-Setting-1.jpg
Views:	278
Size:	100.9 KB
ID:	587862  

Old 04-03-2022, 05:29 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Just when I thought I’ve seen it all…..

Old 04-03-2022, 05:42 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I always lay new glass in the w/s frame without sealer first to make sure it is going to fit. Doing that allows me also to make guide marks to help line it up when I've got the sealer on the channel.

Many years ago I installed a windshield that had a little bit of a bind to it. It held and I thought I was good to go. But after putting the car in the hot sun, it cracked.
So, I am concerned for you that you might have issues with your glass being on a bind like that.

'55 Chevy Bel Air Sport Coupe - Ram Jet 350 / T56 Magnum 6spd, Restomod Completed Sept. 2012, Sold Sept. 2021 PHOTO
The Following User Says Thank You to roger1 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-03-2022, 06:03 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Glass should be stored standing up on edge. It will distort otherwise.

Don

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dhutton For This Useful Post:
Old 04-03-2022, 07:21 PM
Ultimate Warrior

All the normal precautions were taken, glass was fitted half dozen times dry. Marked, measured, tested, blocks moved a half dozen times. But since there was no solution to the problem and it was the original glass (so I know at one time it did fit fine, at least it didn't ever leak) it was go time.

Not like I was going to buy more pieces of glass to find one that would sit flat, nor was I going to bang on the pinch weld.

Only time will tell, no great tragedy if it cracks ... I'll drive it somewhere (at that point) have it put in by someone else

I'm hoping a few months in the cool garage and the glass, if it did take a set in storage will return to shape in the frame. And ... it certainly didn't take the whole weight of block to hold it in place ... you could hold it down with a finger, so the block was somewhat overkill. It was sitting up about the height of this smiley face And this is high quality original glass .. not that delicate new school glass.

As it looks now, it's great, just some clean up around the pins needed. I'm confident it will be leak free, glass might break ... but it's not coming out.

MUSLCAH ... you gotta get out of the house more often, there's a lot to see out here

Last edited by dataway; 04-03-2022 at 07:32 PM.
Old 04-04-2022, 05:36 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Test fit of the trim .. fits very nice. flush with the body and no gap to glass, but very little pressure on the glass too. No wavy globs of sealant showing.

I can see why the factories use this stuff, the window definitely becomes part of the body.

Going to go ahead and use it on the front too, which should be easier, more accessible, has factory stops at the bottom and in general a more roomy channel to work in.

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Rear-Trim-1.jpg
Views:	256
Size:	73.6 KB
ID:	587944  

Old 04-04-2022, 08:40 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Yah didnt even bother to put those chrome pieces on your lap ….and buff them up..to look like new shiny chrome..

Old 04-05-2022, 01:57 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Well they are just on there temporarily ... when the time comes I'll be using the pedestal buffing machine.

Old 04-05-2022, 08:04 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Glad you got it in OK. Does the stainless window trim have clips like on the trans am? Mine were a big PIA to install.

Just out of curiosity, did you check with an installer for pricing?

I bought my windshield from auto city glass, and was afraid to install myself. I found a local guy do the job for $125. I thought that was a bargain. Then he told me he could have provided the glass as well for another $90 ( I paid almost $300 with shipping!). He cleaned the glass channel, cleaned the window, no dry test fit at all. Caulked up the opening and dropped the glass in place by himself. Had it perfect the first time with no finaggelling. I was a bit apprehensive when he started putting the glue on without a test or even knowing where it went exactly, but he got it right. He took all of 10 minutes to do the job.

Old 04-05-2022, 09:45 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I looked around in our area and there was basically nobody doing house calls like that within about 30 miles that had any kind of reputation. There is one guy I can touch base with that would probably know who to talk to. If there was a known professional installer that would do it for that price I would be making the call immediately. Last time I had a windshield replaced I was able to drive the vehicle to the shop, in and out in 30 minutes, super easy.

But heck, doesn't hurt to learn something new. Not like I'm doing surgery on my dog or something

It's got clips that snap in place over pins, then the trim snaps in place on the clips. It can be tedious, but so far doesn't seem a huge pain. Every pin seems to have a different personality though and wants to be treated different than the others

Old 04-05-2022, 10:11 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Makes a lot of sense to me. Yes, those pins and clips can be tedious.