Old 04-08-2022, 10:00 PM
Senior Chief

Default Seat belts

Anybody know if the seat belts from bucket to bench seat are the same? My car has a bench seat, and I have the front retractable parts of the front belts, but the latch or buckles along with the bolts that fasten to the tunnel, are missing from my car. If anybody has a set in black that they wish to part with pm me. Thanks

1973 Grand Am 400 4 speed
Old 04-09-2022, 08:18 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I went from bench to factory bucket seats and used the same seat belts. There is a difference, but they look and work fine.

Old 04-09-2022, 07:05 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Will see what extras I have. Your '72 HO Coupe is a Fall of '71 built car from what I remember. Has standard (black plastic covers) on the buckles. Am working on a Fall '71 built Post car myself with same belts.

Identifying the EXACT style of belts (typically from the seat belt tags) is often very important. Not every buckle will mate up with every male end.

Once the "late style" '72 A-body belts (with Fasten Seat Belt style retractors) began being placed in '72 A-body's (late Dec '71), it becomes even more fun to track down & match up belts. For standard design belts for "Late 72 model" A-bodies, there are at least 2 buckle & end versions on the belts. This was the first appearance of the "exploding buckle" textured black plastic buckle belts. For late '72 A-body's these were made by DAAL, have a super low mile set in black). In aprox March of '72, the Fremont plant, alone, introduced a style of IRVIN mfg belts for standard belts. These have the pretty molded buckles with large flat buttons with a blue and silver GM logo laminated into the flat button. These made by Irvin "late 72 model" belts shared the same style buckles & male ends as late '72 model F-body's with standard belts.

Old 04-09-2022, 08:05 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Camaro Research Group (CRG) has a report on 67-69 Camaro Seatbelts.
Although not Pontiac it has a lot of great information regarding the tags and how to read them.

http://www.camaros.org/seatbelt.shtml

1968 GTO (Thanks Mom)
2006 Silverado
2007 Cadillac SRX
2015 Chevy Express

Old 04-10-2022, 07:43 AM
Senior Chief

Pinion head. Your correct my car was built the fourth week of November in 1971. Black covers, i will take a pic of the rears. Good memory.
Lil side step here. Ya know whats funny? I spoke with the second owner just to chat, who was only 21 years old when he owned my car, in 1973. I told him about any progress i have made with the car and where i am now. He said he put in the 8 track radio, which is still in the car, (it still works, go figure) cut the bezel radio opening, removed the front seat to run some speaker wire under the carpet, and removed the seat belt latches in the front and forgot to reinstall them. Its funny to think he tells me things about this car, i have to check my notes, but i believe he sold the car in 1977. So he is talking about things from 44 years ago. Mind you am only 44 years old. Its crazy. He got a kick out of it when i sent him a picture of a service invoice, with his signature, where he got four tires for $215.
Og68 thanks for link. I will take a look.

1973 Grand Am 400 4 speed

Last edited by big matt; 04-10-2022 at 07:44 AM. Reason: Misspell