The Body Shop TECH General questions that don't fit in any other forum

Old 02-04-2022, 11:23 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Paint Guns

I have a Sharpe gravity feed SGT-HVLP-55 with a 1.4mm I am wondering if anyone has used this gun and if it would be acceptable to use this gun for sealer and primer. Also I would like to get your comments on the Devilbiss FLG-5 with a 1.4mm to shoot sealer, primer, color and clear. Thanks.

Old 02-05-2022, 10:13 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I’m no pro but I’ve always used something like 1.8 for primer & sealer. 1.4-1.4 would be better suited to base although I’m not familiar with that particular gun.

Some who knows more than me should see this since I bumped it up.

Murf

Old 02-05-2022, 10:21 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Need to know what primer and sealer to give a good answer imho.

1.4 might be ok for sealer but not for primer most likely.

Don

Old 02-05-2022, 11:52 AM
Ultimate Warrior

The Devilbiss FLG-5 is not an HVLP I believe it's more like a conventional sprayer but the government forced the industry in the US to go to the HVLP. From what I have read the HVLP gun was a step backwards in technology and a conventional gun does a better job. I ordered the FLG5 from outside the US and have seen good reviews on youtube. Maybe I can get a different tip for it to apply the primer.

Old 02-05-2022, 12:19 PM
Senior Chief

I'm not familiar with the Sharpe SGT, did you mean SGF? The FLG5 is a production gun designed for all around use. Guns like this usually do only 1 of 3 things really well. I have the HVLP version of the FLG and use it for a primer gun only with a 1.8 tip. I spray PPG DPLF and SPI Epoxy with it. The FLG5 version requires a higher pressure so you need a stout compressor to use it, probably at least 10cfm at 90psi.

As far as tip size, always go by the tech sheet for the paint you are using. You can vary based on overall panel or spot repair.

I've always been a DeVilbiss guy, I have found the Tekna line to be very good for base and clear at a hobbyist price. The key is getting really used to spraying from the same 2 guns (primer and everything else). The more practice you can get with base and clear the better you work will be.

Old 02-05-2022, 01:45 PM
Ultimate Warrior

My bad, it is a SGF-HVLP-55

Old 02-05-2022, 02:29 PM
Senior Chief

I can't find any info on that gun, but you would need a 1.8 tip for most primers. I use Epoxy primer for blocking and as a sealer. I use 1.8 for SPI as a build primer, and 1.4 for SPI as a sealer when the primer is reduced. Make sure to follow the tech sheet for each paint product.

Last edited by HoovDaddy; 02-05-2022 at 02:43 PM.
Old 02-16-2022, 04:03 PM
Ultimate Warrior

This is the gun I bought for the base and color for my 67 LeMans. Has anyone here ever used this gun?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sb3LEVD_Glk&t=544s

Old 02-16-2022, 06:01 PM
Senior Chief

I have a FLG for a primer gun and small touch ups, it's a good gun for the money. Do you have a piston type or oil less compressor?

As with any new gun, practice, practice, practice. In my opinion, that video is deceiving as it's pretty easy to get that performance on a horizontal surface in the right conditions.

Last edited by HoovDaddy; 02-16-2022 at 06:11 PM.
Old 02-16-2022, 10:41 PM
Ultimate Warrior

My compressor is a 60 gallon tank and rated a little over 10 CFM @90 psi. I guess it's piston it's not an expensive compressor. The FLG-5 is not sold in the USA because it's a conventional gun but it is available in other countries if you look around you can find someone to send you one.

Old 04-07-2022, 01:25 AM
Senior Chief

The flg5 is available in us as hvlp or conventional
I always liked my flg3 but just recently upgraded to the gpg with the hte air cap - WOW what a gun! the HTE saves soooo much paint and lies like glass. I ran shopline epoxy prime thru it and some fleetline single stage incredible paint transfer.

1968 LeMans Convertible - 462 w hydo roller comp cam forged flat tops- 6x-4 heads- performer intake - 800 cfm QJ- edelbrock 110 gph mech fuel pump- 4 row copper rad- followed by a Th400 w/2300rpm stall then a nodular 10 bolt posi w 3:90 gears ( need 3:55 bad
Old 04-12-2022, 10:43 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtnbktrek View Post
The flg5 is available in us as hvlp or conventional
I always liked my flg3 but just recently upgraded to the gpg with the hte air cap - WOW what a gun! the HTE saves soooo much paint and lies like glass. I ran shopline epoxy prime thru it and some fleetline single stage incredible paint transfer.
Where have you seen the FLG5 available in the US?