The Body Shop TECH General questions that don't fit in any other forum

Old 04-12-2022, 03:12 PM

Send a message via ICQ to TransAMrit Send a message via AIM to TransAMrit
Question Does the hood open all the way with Eddie Motorsports Billet hinges?

The hood hinges on my 1970 Trans Am are bent, and I'm considering going with the fancy billet hinges: https://www.eddiemotorsports.com/product-p/ms149-39.htm

People on the forums say that some Billet hinges (Ring Brothers) don't open all the way. The lady at RB confirmed that, by design, theirs only open 60-70%.

Does anyone have experience with the Eddie Motorsports hinges? Do they open the hood as much as stock? I called ES, and.. let's just say their answer wasn't very confident.

Old 04-13-2022, 07:50 AM
Ultimate Warrior

What do you mean by all the way. The same distance as stock? If the ring brothers only open 60-70% of stock thats not very much.

Old 04-13-2022, 08:25 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I’ve noticed this on a lot of the car shows. Looks like a lot of the custom hinges only go part way up. Looks like it would make it a PIA to work under the hood.

Murf

Old 04-13-2022, 02:37 PM

Yes, I was looking to see if they open the same/similar distance as stock.

Interestingly, I see in email that someone replied with the following message, but I don't see it on this thread:

Quote:
I have a pair on my 72 and yes they seem to open as high if not higher. One important thing to remember, don't ever leave the hood in the open position for more than a few minutes, the strain on the cylinders is too much. I now carry a 7 iron to prop the hood up if it's going to be up anytime at all.

Old 04-13-2022, 02:41 PM

Consider having your original hinges rebuilt by someone who specializes in that.

Old 04-14-2022, 03:09 PM

Quote:
I have a pair on my 72 and yes they seem to open as high if not higher. One important thing to remember, don't ever leave the hood in the open position for more than a few minutes, the strain on the cylinders is too much. I now carry a 7 iron to prop the hood up if it's going to be up anytime at all.
I later messaged the person that said this, and they deleted their response after realizing we were discussing different hinges.

I'll most likely go back to OEM hinges, but if I get the Billets, I'll follow up here with how it went...

Old 04-14-2022, 04:04 PM
Ultimate Warrior

If you are going stock find someone to rebuild or get a good used set. I have heard the repops arent that good.