Old 04-04-2022, 03:45 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Default Muffler / Exhaust pipe recommendations for my 68 wagon

Folks,

We finally had a half day of clean roads in Green Bay so I could take my 68 Goat clone wagon out for the first time. After a short drive, it was clear to me that I need to change mufflers and possibly the exhaust pipes, so I'm looking for your recommendations.

Right now the wagon has the original 350 engine block built to HO specs and also has Ram Air manifolds. While it sounds great, it's just too loud for my intended purposes of driving it on a regular basis. Here is a link to some pictures of the exhaust system on my car https://pypesexhaust.com/g-9972-1968-gto-wagon.html. I'm looking for an exhaust system that sounds close to stock until you step on it hard and by all means don't want any drone while cruising. I read an article where it was recommended to use the 20" Duramax turbo mufflers and they were tested on a wagon. I'm open for comments on these and other mufflers as well. The system on the car right now is in excellent condition so I want to replace as little as possible.

If you look at the pictures, you'll note that the exhaust pipes exit right behind the rear wheels, which I'm not fond of. Much better for me if they go out under the rear bumper (or at least closer to the back). If anyone has experience with an off the shelf exhaust pipe set for a wagon, I'm open for that as well.

Thanks
Old Joe

68 GTO Clone (Tempest) Wagon
Old 04-04-2022, 06:33 PM
Ultimate Warrior

This is super subjective, of course but you will find that a standard 2 1/4 dual system with a Dynomax Super Turbos is pretty benign with a little bit of throaty.
And a rear exit will be better.
Maybe we can see this at the Omro show this Sept?

Still have my 1st Firebird
7th Firebird
57 Starchief
Old 04-04-2022, 06:41 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by 694.1 View Post
This is super subjective, of course but you will find that a standard 2 1/4 dual system with a Dynomax Super Turbos is pretty benign with a little bit of throaty.
And a rear exit will be better.
Maybe we can see this at the Omro show this Sept?
I plan to be at Omro. BTW, I forgot to mention the exhaust system on the car is 2 1/2" right now.

Old 04-19-2022, 04:45 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Okay so I bought a pair of the Dynomax 17749 mufflers with 2 1/2" inlet and outlet, which Jim Hand tested and liked on his Lemans wagon. I'm looking at Flowmaster 15802 tailpipes, but have yet to get a concrete answer regarding whether or not they will fit my wagon. The Flowmaster application part of their website mentions A bodies including GTOs, Lemans, etc, but nothing about wagons. I saw a posting somewhere else where a guy with a Vista Cruiser said they fit. Anyone tried these on a wagon?

Thanks
Old Joe

Old 04-19-2022, 04:58 PM
Ultimate Warrior

My thought regarding the pipes, is that the wagon has the spare tire well on the right and fuel tank on the left in the area where the pipes normally run on a coupe or sedan. Is there sufficient room to run a 2 1/2" pipe under them?

The rationale for the behind the wheel exit on the wagons is to prevent exhaust gases from entering the interior, if the rear window is slightly or fully open, or was it because of the above, lack of clearance?

1968 GTO (Thanks Mom)
2006 Silverado
2007 Cadillac SRX
2015 Chevy Express

Last edited by OG68; 04-19-2022 at 05:13 PM.
Old 04-19-2022, 06:57 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by OG68 View Post
My thought regarding the pipes, is that the wagon has the spare tire well on the right and fuel tank on the left in the area where the pipes normally run on a coupe or sedan. Is there sufficient room to run a 2 1/2" pipe under them?

The rationale for the behind the wheel exit on the wagons is to prevent exhaust gases from entering the interior, if the rear window is slightly or fully open, or was it because of the above, lack of clearance?
Yup, that I already knew. I had a wagon 30+ years ago with the exhaust exiting behind the rear wheels, but the people in the rear seat could then smell it when the windows were down and sitting in traffic during the summer. I switched to rear exit and never had an issue, but then I never drove it with the back window down either. There is no 3rd seat in this car, so it would be really rare to ever need to drive with the back window down.

Old 04-20-2022, 10:56 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Hey Joe, if you put an X pipe in the wagon exhaust it should quiet it down quite a bit.