OHC-6 TECH Over Head Cam projects, questions and advice.

Old 10-08-2012, 10:03 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Primatech - what was the story?

After 06' I lost count of what was going on with Primatech. They were making some nice products for the OHC and things seemed to be going well and then poof .... they're gone.

What happened?

69 OHC ZH Sprint Hurst 3 Speed 3:55 (1 of 213)
99 Valkyrie 1520cc Flat 6 108hp/110tq - For Sale
http://sohcsix.yuku.com/forums/1/OHC-lounge
Wanted: 1969 OHC "H" Camshaft
Old 10-08-2012, 07:16 PM
Senior Chief

This is my response on the OHC 6 Forum about a year ago:

Guys,
I see that some of you are interested in services and or parts from Primatech. I will let you know what I know about the situation. Brent and Quinton (Primatech) have put a lot of effort, time and money into further development and promotion of the OHC 6. They offered rebuild services, NOS, re manufactured, and used parts. As you know they also offered a very nice tuned header that FIT all engine/trans/body combinations. These guys are stand up guys that are very honest to deal with. I have personally met Brent and have conversed with both on several occasions. I have bought and sold parts with them over the years, and at one point they sold my adjustable cam gear and header gaskets through Primatech. They have always been engine builder/fabricators and have applied their knowledge and experience into Primatech. In My Opinion: The OHC 6 is a niche market. As with any business, there must be enough support to make it cost effective for them to stay in business full time. I believe they found out there was a lot of interest/enthusiasm in what they were doing, but not a lot of purchases/cash flow. (tire kickers) I see this a bit myself. The casual/new OHC 6 owner does not understand these engines, and that they are not small block Chevys. People do not understand how difficult it is to find parts, and the cost of parts, or cost of a rebuild, etc. (try to find a starter or water pump!) All this combined with a general downturn in the economy the last few years put a halt to anything OHC 6. Brent and/or Quinton may get back to some OHC 6 stuff such as the headers, but they have to make a living, so I am sure that is where their focus is at this time. Quinton is currently selling a lot of his OHC 6 stuff off, so he may be completely out. I am not sure. Maybe Brent will chime in as he posts here sometimes.

Brent's (1/2 of Primatech) response:

That's about it in a nutshell, Rob; if the volume had been there it would've been feasible to develop and produce all the cool parts that we had in mind when Primatech started.
I still get the occasional call and I do my best to fit requests in but the daily task of paying for groceries takes precedence. I could make more money building cam gears and cams for Ecotecs and Zetecs (CNC machines are pretty cheap these days!) but that's not where my interests lie. Although I do feel the temptation some days; pushing a button at night and gathering up the parts produced by the CNC elves the next morning sounds like an easy way to make a living!

Old 10-09-2012, 09:04 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Well that was too bad that there was no way to make it. It seemed that they were good making quality stuff for the OHC and they were the only game in town.

I wonder if they are doing parts on the side? They had some things like headers that were wanted by many. I am also curious if they would take group orders for something like that?

69 OHC ZH Sprint Hurst 3 Speed 3:55 (1 of 213)
99 Valkyrie 1520cc Flat 6 108hp/110tq - For Sale
http://sohcsix.yuku.com/forums/1/OHC-lounge
Wanted: 1969 OHC "H" Camshaft
Old 04-24-2022, 04:14 PM

Hi I am the original and only owner of a ‘67 Sprint Convertible. I was a member of the OHC forum on tapitalk. I still have the car and a lot of OHC and Firebird parts that I have accumulated over the years. My wife and I are moving into smaller quarters and I need to divest myself of a lot of sprint stuff. Is this the right venue for that?

Old 04-24-2022, 04:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OHCAM67 View Post
Hi I am the original and only owner of a ‘67 Sprint Convertible. I was a member of the OHC forum on tapitalk. I still have the car and a lot of OHC and Firebird parts that I have accumulated over the years. My wife and I are moving into smaller quarters and I need to divest myself of a lot of sprint stuff. Is this the right venue for that?
Classified forum dedicated to buying and selling OHC-6 parts:

https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com...play.php?f=498