The Body Shop TECH General questions that don't fit in any other forum

Old 04-16-2022, 09:28 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by MUSLCAH View Post
And…how long have you been a paint rep ?
LOL... I am far from being a paint rep, or an expert, I'm simply a guy that has painted one car, has made a ton of mistakes, learnt from them, and moved on.

Just trying to save some heartache for anyone that reads this thread and walks away thinking "any" epoxy primer is good for Endura repair.

Not true. Read the second paragraph of my post again for details. I stand by my experience.

Oshawa built 1 option Judge basket case. 463, SD KRE 295's, CNC'd factory intake, Cliff's Qjet, Stump Puller HR cam, RARE RA manifolds, Pypes exhaust, T56 Magnum, McLeod RXT clutch, 3.42 12 bolt. 24 year project almost done...

Last edited by mrennie; 04-16-2022 at 09:33 PM.
Old 04-16-2022, 09:41 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Do you think SPI is a true epoxy primer ? Why is SPI sandable …While the other Epoxy from PPG , DuPont, RM, Ditzler, Spees, Nexa Autocolor, Diamond, Sherwin Williams, HB, glassurith (sp)…are not easy to sand . Is talc in the SPI ?? Maybe all you guys that carry the SPI flag …can educate me.
I'm not carrying the spi flag at all, I have used all of the mentioned epoxy primers over the years and still do. The only reason I used the spi on my 69 front bumper is it was suggested by user Paulatfast to me here 10 yrs back. Paul owned a restoration shop that specialized in 68-70 pontiacs and had been using it successfully on all his endura restorations. I sprayed my first 69 back then with it and a couple 70 bumpers and it worked great so I used it again on this one. Is it an epoxy? Sure looks like it once sprayed, doesn't sand like one though. Not sure what else it could be? Sure seems like somebody would have taken issue with it in the 10 or 12 years it's been on the market if it wasn't though. I haven't used it on anything else so I can't say how it sticks to metal but it sticks like glue to endura that's for sure.

The Following User Says Thank You to n20ta2 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-16-2022, 10:30 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Do you think SPI is a true epoxy primer ? Why is SPI sandable …While the other Epoxy from PPG , DuPont, RM, Ditzler, Spees, Nexa Autocolor, Diamond, Sherwin Williams, HB, glassurith (sp)…are not easy to sand . Is talc in the SPI ?? Maybe all you guys that carry the SPI flag …can educate me.
I own stock in some of those big corporations Muslcah. Dont worry about educating yourself about SPI products. You just keep buying that expensive stuff and I’ll spend the dividends on SPI epoxy. Kinda like you’re buying it for me. Continued thanks.

Old 05-04-2022, 09:21 AM

I sprayed it on and started sanding...it does sand nice! I'll need several more coats to fill in all the gouges I made taking paint off though. Being stupid does cost extra...trust me.