Old 04-02-2022, 06:37 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Windshield Trim Clips

I'm seeing numerous sources for the front and rear window reveal molding trim clips (as seen in the photo below ... the two on the right).

I first checked the Ames catalog but the measurements they give are way off from what I took off this car. Ames doesn't list the GM part numbers so it's hard to tell what you are actually looking at. AMK does show them, and their life size photos do match up exactly ... but I've exhausted my list of needs so I can't make up a $50 order.

And I see various small differences in the clips offered by different vendors for the same GM part number.

I test fit some trim pieces using the good originals I have and the trim fits perfectly. I was wondering if you guys have suggestions for sources you used for clips that worked perfectly for you.

I'll buy more if necessary ... but only need about a half dozen per window as I have quite a few good originals.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Trim-Clips-1.jpg
Views:	274
Size:	68.9 KB
ID:	587771  

Old 04-02-2022, 04:45 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I went down to my local auto body supply store with a few originals in hand and had them look through their drawers of trim clips to find one that matched. IIRC, the ones I have are the longer ones on the right.

'95 Comp T/A #6 M6 - bone stock (pics)
The Following User Says Thank You to Verdoro 68 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-03-2022, 07:34 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Did you use the long ones on both front and rear?

Old 04-03-2022, 01:37 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I did. Not sure if you’re supposed to, but everything clicked in where it needed to be.

'95 Comp T/A #6 M6 - bone stock (pics)
Old 04-03-2022, 02:04 PM
Ultimate Warrior

The Pontiac clip and trim books shows the long ones for the front, short ones for the year, not sure why ... they appear to be the same height. The long ones offer more area for the trim to grab and would seem to offer a bit more tolerance for pins that aren't perfect ... like the couple of screw in pins I had to install

I see AMK specifies the small ones for vinyl tops.

I've become paranoid of buying yet another box of something that doesn't work and ends up on my shelf

Old 04-03-2022, 05:46 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I've got the ones on the right, all around. Not saying that is correct though. When I got it my car didn't have the rear glass, the clips or even the studs for that matter...lol

The Following User Says Thank You to Greg Reid For This Useful Post:
Old 04-03-2022, 07:30 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I'm certainly not concerned about correctness to be "correct" ... just want them to work. I'd rather use the long ones everywhere ... they just seem like a better clip.

Probably won't know for sure how any of them work until I get the vinyl top on ... that stuff is pretty thick you'd almost think it would require a different clip AND trim to fit vinyl top cars.

Old 04-04-2022, 01:04 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I didn't have any issues with the clips or trim on my vinyl top car.
Yeah, it's pollen season down here. No sense in cleaning it off today.

Sent from my moto g stylus (2021) using Tapatalk

The Following User Says Thank You to Greg Reid For This Useful Post:
Old 04-04-2022, 05:07 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I tried a variety of clips today .. all the ones seen in the first photo I posted ... they all seemed to work equally as well .. which kind of baffles me. The long ones are definitely easier to install on the front, but can work on the back too evidently. It's beyond me how the clips of different heights seem to work .. here is what test fit looked like.

I'm happy with it, trim is nice and flush with the body, no gap to the glass, nor too much pressure on the glass.

I'll just order several types in bulk (WAY Cheaper) and use whatever seems to work the best.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Rear-Trim-1.jpg
Views:	185
Size:	73.6 KB
ID:	587938  

Old 05-12-2022, 12:55 PM
Senior Chief

Hey Data, did you ever get your clips you needed? I’m digging into mine now and most of mine are the shorter (horizontal) length ones and they appear to be the ones AMK lists as rear window w/vinyl top. My car is no longer a vinyl top car so they’re yours if you want them. I forget how many but whatever I have is yore welcome too. I also have a carton of the longer ones that match the part number called out in the restoration guide if you need some. I have way more than needed I believe. If you want them I’ll toss them in a small envelope and drop them in the mail tomorrow.

The Following User Says Thank You to Entropy11 For This Useful Post: