Pontiac - Race The next Level

Old 01-21-2009, 10:13 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Chapman View Post
Was $60.00 for a complete head with valves or bare head?
That would be a bare casting, Don.

2008 GMC Sierra Denali 2WD Crew, L92 6L80E, Silver w/ Ebony guts, 14.26 @ 98
Old 05-19-2022, 09:52 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I know this is an old thread but because there’s some question as to anyone qualifying a RAV pro stock in NHRA early 70s in this thread , Bill Eckstrom of Stephen Pontiac definitely qualified for many events w his pro stock RAV dual quad powered. Late 70 -73 firebird , ran 10.30s and possibly faster but that number I’m sure of, there’s even video of it making a pass un fortunately it got taken out in round 1 by the fastest qualifier Don Carlton in a Hemi cuda or challenger.
I can say that on that run (and most from what I’ve heard) against the top qualifier Bill beat him on the tree and stayed with him until the top of second gear then the big hemi pulled away. ( bill was one of the best 4 speed drivers ever and deadly in the tree ) Just couldn’t compete with a fully factory backed car that had data shared from many many other hemi cars .
The only person sharing info with Bill at the time was grumpy Jenkins. In fact if you look at grumps car and the Stephens car they had the exact same ram air pan for the scoop. Pretty much identical .
I still have the pan today
I Just like Bill Eckstrom
To be known for his accomplishments since Pontiac kind of intentionally forgot him. Which is another story unto itself .

selling turbos and turbo related parts since 2005!
Old 05-19-2022, 10:02 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Nunzi,Rudi Diphius ,Jerry Stienbeck,Brother Leak all campaigned RA Vs.Rudi and Brother Jerry had Astras,Stienbeck, ran a 85 GP and a 80 Sunbird.Stienbeck ran 8.31 at 163 in the GP in Super Comp.They all ran fabbed 2-4 tunnel rams except maybe Nunzi,Tom

The Following User Says Thank You to tom s For This Useful Post:
Old 05-20-2022, 01:46 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom s View Post
Nunzi,Rudi Diphius ,Jerry Stienbeck,Brother Leak all campaigned RA Vs.Rudi and Brother Jerry had Astras,Stienbeck, ran a 85 GP and a 80 Sunbird.Stienbeck ran 8.31 at 163 in the GP in Super Comp.They all ran fabbed 2-4 tunnel rams except maybe Nunzi,Tom
Yeah they were just saying (in this thread) no one had campaigned a RAV and qualified in NHRA before the astre so had to correct the record.
Idk what arnie ran w his pro car (AHRA or NHRA , but Bill Eckstrom
definitely qualified pro stock well before that.
Not taking anything away from any of those guys all great racers , just setting the record straight w early pro stock RAV. History

https://youtu.be/MbCOSSUc7jA
Check it out skip to 6.14 pro stock, Stephens RAV car.

I know a guy named mango in LI ran a RAV in a gasser Way back when too. Has some coool pics he’s showed me w a fabbed intake.

Old 05-20-2022, 02:29 AM
Ultimate Warrior

It’s funny when I raced NETO w the stephens 69, I raced against two of the cars in that video from
That same race,.
Wally booths 69 camaro and Tony moans camaro.