Old 05-20-2022, 11:22 AM
Senior Chief

Default Installed New PS box and now Steering wheel is off center

Hey guys, I have a 1978 Trans Am and recently had my original PS gear box rebuilt. The box was shipped with pitman shaft centered and I doublechecked that it was centered between lock to lock and marked it. The Pitman arm was centered in the big front spline as it should and the rag joint also only slides on the box shaft one way. The car drives nice and straight, no pulling but the steering wheel is off center an inch or so. I am thinking I will just need an alignment but was wondering if anyone else has had this issue.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20220519_153759.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	69.7 KB
ID:	591185   Click image for larger version

Name:	20220202_111546.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	115.3 KB
ID:	591186  

1974 455 Trans Am
1978 400 Trans Am
Old 05-20-2022, 11:36 AM
Ultimate Warrior

not really an "issue", it's just different parts change the equation, every car is a little different. if you're sure your gearbox is centered, you can simply loosen your tie rod adjusters, shorten the right wheel by one turn and lengthen the left wheel by one turn (to bring the steering wheel more to the right). rinse and repeat until you're happy with the steering wheel alignment. I'd save the money on the alignment if it's already driving straight.

Old 05-22-2022, 08:44 PM

X2 — adjusting tie rods (the exact same number of turns) is how you align the steering wheel in this situation. Drive forward so wheels pointed exactly straight ahead; mark distance from each wheel to center point of car; mark location of steering wheel. Lift front of car, center steering wheel, adjust tie rods until wheels are straight forward again (per the distances measured earlier). Test drive, tweak if necessary. Shouldn’t take much change in tie rod to fix one inch at the steering wheel.