Old 05-20-2022, 07:29 PM

Default Convertible top front bow tack strip.

I just purchased a new convertible frame front bow (the wide part of the frame that holds the latches and meets the top of the windshield frame) because my two old ones were rusted beyond repair. It comes with a rubber tacking strip. I can see where the tacking strip attaches on the underside and is held on by metal teeth that are bent into place, but then it seems like it bends over the sides for a few inches. Does anyone have a photo or description of just how it bends around both edges?
The Fisher Body Service Manual was not much help.
I appreciate any help.
Thanks,
Jim

Old 06-08-2022, 10:56 AM

My words leave something to be desired. These photos may clarify. I have a new front bow panel for my 1970 GTO convertible.

In the first photo is the new bow and it is easy to see where the new tack strip lays and is held in place by bending the triangular "fingers". Does the tacking strip just follow the leading edge or does it bend around the corner?
In photo #2 is the back (upper) side of the same panel and it looks like there is room for a 3" piece of tacking strip there also. I don't think it is all one piece as it would be impossible to bend the tacking strip all the way around.

The next two photos show the original rusted piece. The "fingers" were long ago rusted away and the last tack strip was riveted on. It seems to be some kind of cloth material. There may have been a small piece on the top side when I removed the old top but it's not there now.

Any help would be appreciated.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6444.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	59.6 KB
ID:	592417   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6445.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	46.7 KB
ID:	592418   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6443.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	73.4 KB
ID:	592421   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6442.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	71.2 KB
ID:	592424  

Old 06-08-2022, 11:25 AM
Ultimate Warrior

the tacking strip just follows the front edge and stops at the corner. that 3" piece that goes on the back side is a completely separate piece where you staple the pads on the top of the frame.. original stuff was like a dense pressed cardboard kind of material. Anyways, the top is pulled tight by that front edge and that corner is kept situated by the reveal edging (either a real made aftermarket piece or in my day you had a piece of vinyl that you wrapped over vacuum tubing for that rolled edge) and the rubber seal that screws down over the top of the cover after you've stapled it down. there are metal reinforcements that span the corner in that rubber seal (at least in original seals, not sure about repops)

Old 06-08-2022, 11:27 AM

Thanks for the info.
I love this forum.

Old 06-08-2022, 12:50 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I agree with post #3, I have taken apart several 1960s era convertible top folding frames and GM used what looked like a compressed cardboard fiber-board material. I do not think that stuff is available any longer. I bought some replacement strips a couple of years ago for my 63 Lemans and what was sent looks, to me, like black vinyl extruded (semi-flexable) plastic/nylon. You fold over the metal "tabs" on the top bows to hold it in place and yes; brand new tacks & staples will hold tight in the plastic.