Exclamation Ram Air V heads

Another deal on e-rape.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/PONTI...Q5fAccessories

Old 01-06-2009, 08:38 PM
Senior Chief

um yeah just a tad on the high side.

Old 01-06-2009, 08:49 PM

Default Yup...

Unfortunately thats what they go for, to bad they arent a matched set!

One with an early style exhaust flange the other a later.

Hey Greg will you sell them on Lay-Away?

Old 01-06-2009, 09:47 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 79bluebird View Post
um yeah just a tad on the high side.
Considering how few were made and over 40 years time thats NOT an unreasonable price to ASK.(hey hes throwin other stuff in with them) Yeah that might seem shockingly high for a 26 year olds typical salary. My kids are your age they too are getting to the reality stage. Consider this stuff incentive to do what it takes to make things like this possible for yourself. I only find these heads for sale when I have my $$ tied up in other things. If they were for sale a year ago I might have sprung for them. With my losses back in the fall it would have been near the same hit.(except Id have something to show for it)

Old 01-06-2009, 10:43 PM
Ultimate Warrior

they belong to Greg of this site.More than I would pay but have seen them go for more.Tom

Old 01-06-2009, 10:59 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Location: Pontiac Heaven in the Arizona desert & above the White mountains in the cool country of eastern Az

I hope he gets what he wants for them. Free enterprise right? More power to him.
I wish my alum V block would have sold a few weeks back on ebay. It just didn't go where I thought it would.
I like the V stuff but decided relatively early in my adult life to avoid them partly because of their expense but, mainly because they were made in cast iron and much harder to modify and weld. As a racer, could not imagine damaging one and trying to get it repaired as hard as cast iron is to repair and weld on.
Still, how cool it would have been if Pontiac could have/would have made a 455 Ram Air V for the '70 GTO!
I like the separate ex port arrangement, that is my favorite feature of them.

Steve

Hosting 11th annual Pontiac Heaven, show, swap, drags, party and all around good time. Saturday April 4, 2009 at Speedworld near Phoenix, Az
Also hosting- 7th annual Nostalgic Show and Go! and swap coming Sunday April 5, 2009 to Speedworld. Phoenix, Az

Hosting-
23rd annual Pontiac Heaven weekend- Phoenix pending due to covid
Pontiac Heaven Museum in process
Phil 2:11
Old 01-06-2009, 11:12 PM
Ultimate Warrior

geez

I would love a set, but will never be able to afford them.

1966 GTO Montero Red Hardtop - Holley EFI'd 462, KRE DPorts/Muncie 4spd
1990 Chevy 454SS pickup - Accel DFI/T56 6spd - Hot Rod Power Tour Long Hauler
1996 Chevy K2500 ECSB 'Poopy'
2002 Honda VTX1800C
2016 Cadillac CTS Premium

My project thread: http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/...d.php?t=516826

Old 01-07-2009, 12:30 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Barcak View Post
I hope he gets what he wants for them. Free enterprise right? More power to him.
I wish my alum V block would have sold a few weeks back on ebay. It just didn't go where I thought it would.
I like the V stuff but decided relatively early in my adult life to avoid them partly because of their expense but, mainly because they were made in cast iron and much harder to modify and weld. As a racer, could not imagine damaging one and trying to get it repaired as hard as cast iron is to repair and weld on.
Still, how cool it would have been if Pontiac could have/would have made a 455 Ram Air V for the '70 GTO!
I like the separate ex port arrangement, that is my favorite feature of them.

Steve

Hosting 11th annual Pontiac Heaven, show, swap, drags, party and all around good time. Saturday April 4, 2009 at Speedworld near Phoenix, Az
Also hosting- 7th annual Nostalgic Show and Go! and swap coming Sunday April 5, 2009 to Speedworld. Phoenix, Az
Or a 70 T/A 455 RAM AIR V .

Old 01-07-2009, 12:39 AM
Senior Chief

I agree that RAV stuff is very cool I guess that I see it as so far out of reach for the normal guy that it is sad. I wish that Edelbrock, KRE, or someone that has the ability to cast some RAV heads would see that people are willing to buy them. Do other people think that RAV parts would sell. If I could get a set for the price of two sets of Edelbrock heads I would own them!

Old 01-07-2009, 12:25 PM
Ultimate Warrior

The RAM AIR V heads are very well designed. The size of the ports is quite amazing, and the foils around the pushrods is a neat feature. I wish they would have make more of them, or use these features as a basic manufacturing design on other heads as well.

I'm pretty sure nobody will ever make repros of the RAV heads. These are jewels of the Pontiac industry, you don't want to take that away from Pontiac. Everybody knows they are the holy grail of Pontiac head design, somebody would have done it already.. we see a lot a reproduction parts for RAIV, because there is a lot more RAIV cars than RAV cars. Return on investment vs manufacturing cost will be low in my opinion.

Even if somebody would make some aluminium castings, original heads would still be sold for large amount. It's just not the performance that makes the price, but the rarity. If performance is needed, there is a lot of better brand new heads in the market... Having an incomplete RAV car is cool, but very very uncool for the wallet...

Don't know if you guys saw the RAV engine build up in the last HPP mag, but if I remember correctly, 40000$ was spent on the engine only. And we're not talking about an all-out-performance race engine, but a 'basic' original RAV build.. Damn, you can get a complete RAIV car for that price..

Last edited by MescaBug; 01-07-2009 at 12:32 PM.
Old 01-07-2009, 05:07 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Location: Pontiac Heaven in the Arizona desert & above the White mountains in the cool country of eastern Az

"geez

I would love a set, but will never be able to afford them."

Well, that would apply to 100,000 other people too right?

"Or a 70 T/A 455 RAM AIR V ."
I purposely left out the '70 T/A because GM lifted the cubic limit in '70 for intermediates.
It wasn't until '71 that the cu inch limit was raised on "F"s.

"The RAM AIR V heads are very well designed. The size of the ports is quite amazing, and the foils around the pushrods is a neat feature. I wish they would have make more of them, or use these features as a basic manufacturing design on other heads as well."

That is your opinion and you are intitled to that. Others will agree but, many more others will highly disagree. I think if they were any good, Pontiac would have made more of them.
They did not do all that well with Ford or Pontiac. Most who have messed with them over the years have been VERY disappointed with them. Now they have become much more of a collector deal than a racer deal and that is where they belong. Non one has done really well with them in racing unless they were extensively modified or redesigned.
They just did not work that well in racing. They are great for the parking lot, 'cruiser' set with their lawn chairs to talk about them but, you do not see them at the track. Tri-powers are kinda the same way ( except they are not rare like the V stuff). They have a great wow factor but, disappoint in HP.

Steve

Hosting-
Old 01-07-2009, 05:14 PM
Suspended

if they dont sell,i will do something with them later.i took the rav heads yesterday and had them shot tumbled.they look like brand new now.

Old 01-07-2009, 05:29 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Good luck with them Greg. I sincerely hope you get your price.
Not sure why all the "V" threads end up in the race section? It really does not belong here. They are not raced. None of the buyers are planning on 'racing' them.

These are collector, restorer parts.

Maybe the admins do not know where to put them?

Other than Tom S. Everyone else just wants to look at them and say they own, or did own some. Even Toms car is a nice street car, still not a race car. I wonder if anyone will ever build a V for a performance or racing application? You know, if they are so good, more guys with money would be using them. Still wish they could have been made in alum. That would have changed a lot of options with them.

Steve

Hosting-
Old 01-07-2009, 05:45 PM
Suspended

Default RA 5

I would LOVE to put a set of RA 5 heads on my BLOWN 534" Pontiac and go Rat and Hemi hunting!

GTO George

Old 01-07-2009, 06:00 PM
Ultimate Warrior

[QUOTE=Steve Barcak;3528077]" I think if they were any good, Pontiac would have made more of them.
They did not do all that well with Ford or Pontiac. Most who have messed with them over the years have been VERY disappointed with them. Now they have become much more of a collector deal than a racer deal and that is where they belong. Non one has done really well with them in racing unless they were extensively modified or redesigned.
They just did not work that well in racing. They are great for the parking lot, 'cruiser' set with their lawn chairs to talk about them but, you do not see them at the track. Tri-powers are kinda the same way ( except they are not rare like the V stuff). They have a great wow factor but, disappoint in HP.
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Steve, out of curiosity, what info do you have on RAV heads in a racing application?
Have you worked with them yourself or know others that have ?
Any info on how RAV heads do with a full race port job on them, mated to a good strong bottom end, either normally aspirated or perhaps with forced induction ?
Is there really that much info out there about them ? If so, I'd bet that others are curious like I am.

I've only heard about a few road race applications (small cubic inch motors, TA series) and I think there's a guy that is running a turbo charged RAV in a firebird somewhere in the southern U.S. that is street driven but also taken to the track.