Old 07-14-2010, 05:18 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Sure, If I can get time off this weekend I plan on starting to clean out the Guarage. PM me your Phone # and we can set something up.

78 Catlina Safari, Pontiac 400 powered
77 Astre Formula, 215 Buick V-8 T-5
73 Lemans Safari, 400 4bbl 4-speed
71 Catalina Enforcer, 455 4bbl
06 Mallet Solstice #024 LS2, Now with a Tremec 6060 6-speed!
2012 F-150 Echo Boost (My local Ford Dealer SUX!!!)
2020 Dodge Charger Scat pack (recovered)
Old 07-14-2010, 07:20 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Location: Pontiac Heaven in the Arizona desert & above the White mountains in the cool country of eastern Az

Here is one of mine. File pics as she wears some primer here and there at this time. Owned since 1984, 3rd owner. Bought new at Bud Beck Pontiac Scottsdale, Az. Car has around 350,000 miles, current engine rebuild engine has 180,000 since 2000. Used for primary transportation. Probably the only factory round port car used as such.

Original options- 455HO, WW5, auto, a/c, defrosting back glass, tilt, pw. Improved with Recaro seats, rear dics, trunk battery, tri Y headers, 700r4, polished 8" snowflakes on 50 series tires, big stereo, larger fuel tank, receiver hitch, pw switch moved to console, improved quicker steering, glass front bumper, converted to black int temporarily, will go back to white int and manual windows when retired. Still wears original tail pipes.

She is ready for a new top coat. some upholstery work and an engine freshen up but, still runs very well and brings much enjoyment while driving. I never tire of getting in and driving it, in fact, look forward to it each day. She still wears all her original sheet metal, floors, etc. No rust. Just a great car.

Hosting-
23rd annual Pontiac Heaven weekend- Phoenix pending due to covid
Pontiac Heaven Museum in process
Phil 2:11
Old 07-14-2010, 07:23 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by camerjeff View Post
Sure, If I can get time off this weekend I plan on starting to clean out the Guarage. PM me your Phone # and we can set something up.
Sounds good Jeff.

Car is a junk yard dog and maybe one day will be restored.
Old 07-14-2010, 10:57 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Love that car Steve! It's about time for another of your cross country road trips hauing trailer loads of parts isn't it? That was a great thread!

BJ

Old 07-17-2010, 01:39 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Location: Pontiac Heaven in the Arizona desert & above the White mountains in the cool country of eastern Az

Quote:
Originally Posted by OVERULD View Post
Love that car Steve! It's about time for another of your cross country road trips hauing trailer loads of parts isn't it? That was a great thread!

BJ
Thanks for the comment. Yes, the 11,000 7 week road trip in the WW5 will provide me with good memories for the remainder of my life. No plans to take her out again for such a trip though as there are other Pontiacs in the collection who want their turn.
Here are some pics of another GTO I built, raced and drove all over the United States and into Canada a few times. It's a 70 Hard top bought around 1989. In October 1993, I was able to take a month off of work and a friend and I drove this car 10,400 miles covering at least 37 states as well as Toronto, Montreal and Quebec. Then down the entire east coast ( including Georgia ) from Maine to Key West before crossing the south and back to Az. I remember making an oil change in a parking lot somewhere in Ga while on the road. Do not remember where I put the oil. hmm
Here are some pics.
Here I am in Mobile in front of the USS Alabama with the '70.

This car also had a 'glass front bumper, improved steering, larger fuel tank, 455, same Recaro seats and countless other upgrades. Ran out of time prior to the trip to paint her so we made the trip in primer.

Here I am at the southern most point in the continental US with my '70

I took about 7 hours of video and tons of pics. Driving over all the bridges to key West was way cool and a looooong way from Arizona. We took a helicoptor ride in the keys too and ate a ton of shrimp.

Hosting-

Last edited by Steve Barcak; 07-17-2010 at 01:47 PM.
Old 07-17-2010, 01:46 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Another thing about the 10,400 road trip. I had just finished the building the installing ther motor only a few days prior! She never missed a beat the whole trip.

Here is the same '70 after she got some color. I painted it in my back yard. This was on the way home from participating in the Hot Rod power tour around '94-'95

Yes, it had a hitch as all my Pontiacs do. here it is pulling my Pontiac powered jet boat at Canyon lake in the mid 90s

and yes, it was in the snow many times too. Even in Arizona. Here I am heading for another fun day of Snowboarding at Sunrise ski area which is close to where I am moving to. Made many, many trips skiing, snowboarding in Nm, Az and Co with this GTO. I even had a matching pair of wheels mounted on truck type snow tires for my ski trips for better traction. They are on the car in this pic if you look close. The car handled well in the snow and caused no problems.

Hosting-

Last edited by Steve Barcak; 07-17-2010 at 01:51 PM.
Old 07-17-2010, 01:53 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Man Steve, you are living the Pontiac dream! Great pics and story as usual. Thanks for sharing.

BJ

Old 07-17-2010, 01:54 PM
Ultimate Warrior

This car was promised to my sister Jane and I gave it to her after freshening up and some changes around 1998. She still has it and resides in Albuquerque where she enjoys driving it.
The quickest I got this GTO was 12.8 at 104 mph. This was with automatic, Ram Air IV cam, q jet and 2.73 hi way gears.

So far, the only state I have not driven through with one of my Pontiacs is Montana. Eventually, I'd like to plan a trip north there and into Canada on up to Alaska. After up there, maybe take as much as the west coast I can down to San Diego then home. One day, or er month or so..

Hosting-
Old 07-17-2010, 02:38 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Here is yet another 70-72 GTO I built and enjoyed before selling it. This is another vintage Pontiac I saved from the crusher and is an original '71 455 d port GTO. I bought it as a hulk at a west Phoenix wrecking yard as it was about to be crushed. The engine, trans, most of the int, glass and front clip was gone. It was originally Cardinal red and had a/c and pw, disc brakes, etc. I located a correct 71 YC coded 455 and proceeded to rebuild the entire car, this was around 1986. Most of my friends thought I was nuts buying such a stripped carcass but, it was a real 455 GTO and I could not let it die. I was about 27 at the time. The hulk was completely rust free and not wrecked. It was just parted prior to me buying it.
Here it is in my garage being lovingly built to live another life.

Hosting-

Last edited by Steve Barcak; 07-17-2010 at 03:00 PM.
Old 07-17-2010, 02:52 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Here she is all together. I drove it to work daily and all over Az and Ca many times. It has my favorite polished 8" snowflakes and wide 50 series rubber and a trailer hitch.

This front shot as at Falcon field in Mesa, Az where the Champlain fighter museum used to be.
The rear shot is at Santa Monica beach, Ca.

after I built and sold this GTO, a '69 followed.

Hosting-
Old 07-17-2010, 02:56 PM
Ultimate Warrior

It was at this time in my life, mid 20s, that I learned how to ski and really liked it. Here is the 71 at Taos New Mexico on one of its many ski trips. 1987

Hosting-
Old 07-17-2010, 05:51 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Ahhh...The advantages of living in Arizona...Rust free carcasses...Great job, Steve....!

Old 07-17-2010, 10:03 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Here is another GTO I built. This car was found in a newspaper "parting out" ad. Car had no eng/trans/title. I went to look at it for parts but, just had to buy the whole thing and rebuild it. This was around 1983. Brought it home for $100 with a bill of sale. Got a bonded title for it. I had seen this GTO sitting in a gas station a few years earlier. '72 always caught my eye because you never saw very many of them and I liked the way they looked.
Here is a pic of what it looked like when I put it in my back yard.

Hosting-
Old 07-17-2010, 10:16 PM
Ultimate Warrior

This GTO was Lucerne blue with white int. It did not have air but, was an automatic and had few other options. I decided to make this one a hot rod as I really liked the color combo and that it did not have a/c. I built up a nice med compression 455 using 670 heads that I opened up the chambers to around 80cc and a highly modified Torker I put a million hours into. This was the first engine where i bought calipers and mikes and other specialty tools like a CCing kit to become a better engine builder. This car was also the first time I used a roller cam. Interior looked completey stock including shifter, etc. I added factory tach and gauges, manual disc brakes, ps and a decent stereo. I then repainted this rust free body at a friends shop Lucerne blue, added my favorite polished 8" snowflake wheels and big rubber, etc. It used headers with full stock exhaust and tail pipes.

I used a factory ram air set up. The air cleaner was from a Formula I had parted out and saved. The hood ram air pan was actually still available from the dealer in 1983/84 timeframe was was surprisingly cheap. I think I paid less than $20 for it though I had a discount because I bought so much from them. It also had a 4.11 12 bolt. My quickest ET was 11.73 which is not bad for 1985. I was 25 at the time. The car could have been much quicker but, never really had it set up correctly.

After I got the car in the 11s the drag strip made me put in a roll bar which fit pretty well.

I ended up selling it to a gal who really wanted the car. She gave me a deposit well before I was ready to sell it. It was sold with a stocker 455, auto and open rear and different wheels and no roll bar. I actually ended up buying it back in the late 90s in very poor condition and it has passed hands a few times since and remains in poor condition as best I know.

Hosting-
Old 07-18-2010, 10:13 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Here is some ... and I have a couple with Steve when he came through Michigan!!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	100_2125 smaller.jpg
Views:	406
Size:	140.6 KB
ID:	212497   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ypsi 7 crop smaller.jpg
Views:	423
Size:	134.9 KB
ID:	212498   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mikes GTO 6 Phils GTO 3.JPG
Views:	390
Size:	252.8 KB
ID:	212499   Click image for larger version

Name:	Phil and Steve Ypsi 2 smaller.jpg
Views:	398
Size:	125.5 KB
ID:	212501   Click image for larger version

Name:	Phils GTO with Mikes smaller.JPG
Views:	422
Size:	232.6 KB
ID:	212502  

1970 GTO Convertible 455 Ram Air M-21, Atoll/Blue/Black, Hood Tach, 3:31 12-Bolt Posi, A/C, Console

1966 Grand Prix 421 Tripower 4spd, Marina Turquoise/Turquoise, a/c, console, posi, reverb. pa, pb, ps, remote mirror, mats

2010 Dodge Challenger R/T Classic, 6spd Hemi, Detonator Yellow, black stripe, black leather
Old 07-18-2010, 10:45 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Steve, those polished snowflakes look great on these cars. Love the way 50 series rubber looks too!

BJ

Old 07-19-2010, 07:09 AM
Ultimate Warrior

That 1972 GTO was a great find for $100.

Car is a junk yard dog and maybe one day will be restored.
Old 07-19-2010, 06:36 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 70ra455 View Post
Here is some ... and I have a couple with Steve when he came through Michigan!!

That was a great time meeting you in Michigan! Cool museum too.

Take care.

Hosting-
Old 07-19-2010, 07:21 PM

Location: Hickory Corners, Michigan - Home Of the Gilmore Car Museum

1970 Pepper Green. RAIII,M-21,3.90 gear, No PS/PB.
Come out and see us in St Joseph, Michigan on August 7h at the Krasl Concours on the Bluff and at the Geneva, IL Concours on August 22.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC02452.jpg
Views:	389
Size:	58.1 KB
ID:	212582   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC02456.jpg
Views:	384
Size:	57.6 KB
ID:	212583   Click image for larger version

Name:	geo's.jpg
Views:	373
Size:	96.0 KB
ID:	212586  

AA/BFSS Record on the Ohio Mile: 218.484 mph
Next event: Hot Rod Magazine Top Speed Challenge in April 2013
Old 08-09-2010, 09:23 AM
Senior Chief

This was Day 1 of the 71 LeMans. This was 14 years ago. I just got a new scanner so I'll be adding to this as I find the old pics.