Pontiac - Race The next Level

Closed Thread

Old 02-18-2022, 08:50 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Lots of cool stuff! Thanks for posting it all. Now I need to go see how much of my old stuff that I didn't throw away. I used to have a big stack of "the High Output". I was getting those when I was about twelve or thirteen maybe. lol

Old 02-18-2022, 09:05 AM
Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRADERMIKE 2012 View Post
Mikes Reply: I found the Tri-Y Pontiac and "H-O" Headers, I would think the Factory ones are the cast ones and the Tubular are from H-O
Mike said, Tanque Racer, I found this about you I hope it fits here:

file:///E:/Test%20Photo's%2076c%20DELL%20%20place%20all%20loo se%20files%20here/The%20Yank%20Tanque%20Story.html
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	303-engine-1.jpg
Views:	192
Size:	97.5 KB
ID:	584413   Click image for larger version

Name:	303-engine-2 33.jpg
Views:	167
Size:	83.7 KB
ID:	584414   Click image for larger version

Name:	303-engine-2.jpg
Views:	154
Size:	83.7 KB
ID:	584415   Click image for larger version

Name:	303PontiacV8.jpg
Views:	190
Size:	36.3 KB
ID:	584416   Click image for larger version

Name:	609ci-Pontiac-Ram-Air-V-tunnel-intake.jpg
Views:	145
Size:	26.7 KB
ID:	584417  

Old 02-18-2022, 09:44 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Mikes Back, I thought I was done tonight, I just ran into a few Photos I want to share: Notice to the right of the NHRA tall Tunnel Ram, see that object that looks like it came out of H-O Tunnel Ram, at least the idea anyway?
I am not sure what you are trying to say here.
The tunnel ram is a Wenzler Gutsram, still available today from Larry Wenzler. It is not a NHRA Tunnel Ram.
The Cylinder head next to it is a Big Block Chevy head nothing close to a traditional Pontiac head, just has a Pontiac ID for the old Pro Stock class.
The pic of the intake bolted to the head is a Warrior. Had nothing to do with HO. These were originally produced by Doug Nash.

66 GTO 389 3x2, 4 speed, 4.33 gear, Montero Red 33K original Miles
67 GTO 2dr Post, 428, Tri Power, 3.55 Gears
80 Trans Am Black SE Y84 W72 WS6
The Following User Says Thank You to Mike Davis For This Useful Post:
Old 02-18-2022, 10:15 AM
Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSchmitz View Post
Lots of cool stuff! Thanks for posting it all. Now I need to go see how much of my old stuff that I didn't throw away. I used to have a big stack of "the High Output". I was getting those when I was about twelve or thirteen maybe. lol
Thank you to John Wallace for the next Posts about the 303ci and TOM S. THIS IS WHERE I GOT THAT THE 303 ci BLOCK WAS CUT DOWN 1-1/2", SO, AGAIN MY MEMORY IS NOT TOO BAD, for the second time:

http://www.wallaceracing.com/303-engine-1.html

http://www.wallaceracing.com/303-mystery-engine-1.html

Old 02-18-2022, 11:02 AM
Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Davis View Post
The tunnel ram is a Wenzler Gutsram, still available today from Larry Wenzler. It is not a NHRA Tunnel Ram.
The Cylinder head next to it is a Big Block Chevy head nothing close to a traditional Pontiac head, just has a Pontiac ID for the old Pro Stock class.
The pic of the intake bolted to the head is a Warrior. Had nothing to do with HO. These were originally produced by Doug Nash.
Mikes
reply: I downloaded these photos off the Internet at different times and I don't even know exactly where each of the H-O pictures goes, so I am doing my best. I cannot differentiate between the various Tunnel Rams out there; they all look the same to me. I just learned about Bathtub Pontiac Intake Manifold's recently. There for your correction is just the thing to help me along in my endeavor.

Which is relaying truthful Information and History lost back into this post. Keep in mind some of what is said on the Internet is not true either. When the computer servers got whiped clean, for whatever reason the H-O Photos were lost too. The Photos are missing for most of the "H-O" files, so I am going through them one at a time to fix them.

Sometimes you have to read between the lines and look through the entire Post to find the answers. I am the last one here that thinks they're an expert in anything Automotive. I am here to learn from those who know more than me. I don't see anybody doing what I am doing either. People had a conversation on the PY forum and I have challenged myself to put that conversation to the Photos that were lost.

While I am in the Archives on my computer, I figure I can share that data and insert it in a beneficial way for all to read in the future. I have built my Vehicle off these Forums and I am giving back to the community. Please give me a break, I am doing this on my personal time and it is free to all. There is no hidden agenda and I can't and won't explain every move I make as if I owe anything to anybody. Mike out.

P.S. How could I possibly know all that Race Stuff, you have to have Raced all your life, be proud of the fact that you know the difference because the people who labeled those Photos didn't...
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	421-ohc-gp  1 OF 1 MaCELLAR  PONTIAC PROTOTYPE.jpg
Views:	142
Size:	75.7 KB
ID:	584418   Click image for larger version

Name:	04 Blower close up X400 SUPERCHARGED 421 PONTIAC.jpg
Views:	169
Size:	84.8 KB
ID:	584419   Click image for larger version

Name:	02 Engine carb rear linkage X400 SUPERCHARGER.jpg
Views:	172
Size:	66.9 KB
ID:	584420   Click image for larger version

Name:	05 Blower right side  top.jpg
Views:	160
Size:	90.7 KB
ID:	584421   Click image for larger version

Name:	63_Pontiac-Grand-Prix-X_400_DV-15_AI-03-800.jpg
Views:	166
Size:	170.0 KB
ID:	584422  

Old 02-18-2022, 11:04 AM
Ultimate Warrior

This thread has been on this Site since Oct 2020,right under you internet nose!
https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com...d.php?t=845557

Old 02-18-2022, 11:50 AM
Suspended

[QUOTE=TRADERMIKE 2012;6320113] Mike said, Tanque Racer, I found this about you, I hope it fits here:

Mike Said: Tanque Racer, this is my second try to insert your past document into this Forum. I had to copy the Text only, best I can do here also I edited this document some.

The Yanque Tanque Story

In the original Trans Am Series, Mark Donahue, Jerry Titus, Bob Tullius, Parnelli Jones and Sam Posey were my heroes. They raced stock cars with near stock bodies and very souped-up engines, something a teenager could identify with and get excited about. These were vehicles you could actually own, if you were lucky. Next to the Can Am Series, it was probably the most exciting series in American Road Racing.

Having been a fan of the Trans America Series and a big fan of the perennial underdog, the Firebird Trans Am, I was bitten by the racing bug after attending the Walter Mitty Challenge in 1990 – the premiere vintage road-racing event in the Southeast. Sanctioned by Historic Sportscar Racing Ltd., the “Mitty” is held annually at Road Atlanta, drawing over 300 cars. The vintage iron there is truly spectacular. You can see road racing cars ranging from an original Gulf Mirage, A.J. Foyt’s last Foyt Coyote, a Mark Donahue Formula One car, Can Am Lolas and McClarens to vintage Trans Am Series cars. Drivers appearing at these events include Brian Redman, Gene Felton, Hurly Haywood, Vic Elford, Bobby Brown and Derek Bell. I had the privilege of being on the track at the same time as Derek Bell during a test session for one year. He was driving a Can Am car. Believe me ---the man can drive!

After much convincing, my wife agreed to let me pursue my dream of actually participating in vintage racing by helping me purchase a 1970 Trans Am roller. My idea was to build a Pontiac Firebird Trans Am series replica out of it. There was the Donahue/Penske Camaro, the Holman and Moody Mustangs and even a Yenko Corvair replica but no one seemed to be fielding Pontiacs at the time. Our car would be built around the Firebird raced in the early 1970’s. I had my wife convinced that it would be finished in about six months' time. Yeah, right! Two years later we were ready for our first outing, or so I thought.

We headed out for Road Atlanta to the 1993 Walter Mitty Challenge with high expectations and butterflies in my stomach. I went out on the track Friday morning only to run three laps. I exploded the motor by over revving it after a missed shift in turn three. My wife’s expression told it all when the car returned to the paddock on a flatbed wrecker! At least I didn’t bend the body!!

It took a full year to replace the motor. By 1994 we were ready again for the Walter Mitty, this time with a rev limiter. It rained off and on most of the weekend. The track remained slick even when it dried out. We couldn’t get the car to hook up very well and neither could anybody else. We ran a 1:50:42 for an average of about 80 mph.

It was during a rain delay that I wandered up to the covered garages to find a particularly beautiful Formula One car that was flying, going around at 1:19:00 flat. After finding the car and striking up a conversation with the driver, he turned out to be Bib Stillwell of Formula One fame. The car he was driving was a KeKe Rossberg backup car from the early eighties. This car was never actually raced, as the first car was so reliable. We talked for about thirty minutes. I listened intently as the famous man told the rookie all about this historically significant car. When he finished, he turned to me and asked in a very heavy Australian accent “An what are you driven’ mate?” When I told him I was driving a vintage Trans Am replica. He replied “Oh driven’ a Yanque Tanque, are we? My crew had come up right before this point in the conversation. When they overheard this, the Yanque Tanque moniker was born. British spelling, of course!

At the end of the weekend, we went home with everything intact and without breaking anything. This outing provided a great sense of accomplishment for the crew, myself and especially Sherry.

In the ensuing years we finished third in class in 1994 running a 1:50:5 and second in 1995 running 1:50:7 at Road Atlanta. We finished fourth in June of 1995 at Atlanta Motor Speedway, running 1:50:4. The walls there were very intimidating at 145 plus mph. The track was very rough where it transitioned to the infield. Unfortunately, that road circuit does not exist any longer. At the 1996 Mitty we ran a personal best of1:46:9 finishing third in class and 22nd overall out of 44 cars. At the 1997 Mitty we blew a head gasket which then sucked out the rear mail seal. During the fall of 1997 we finished second at Roebling Road in Savannah running a 1:26:8. In 1998 we finished fourth at the Mitty on the “new” configuration running a 1:49:5. At the Atlanta Historic Races in September 1998, we came in first (our first win incidentally) going 1:50:5 and second at the Savannah Historic Races at Roebling Road clocking a 1:27:68. That was the first time we had three races in one year. In 1999 we finished second at the Mitty and in 2000 we ran first in class with a personal best of 1:46:9.

As you can see from our parts compilation, we have tried to remain as close to vintage Pontiac as possible. There are very few 303-ci Pontiac motors available and they are astronomical in price. As a result, the 1970 400-ci Ram Air IV was chosen, as the #614 heads would give us the historical correctness we were trying to achieve. The roll cage, window net, fuel cell, etc. have been kept as close to original as possible as have the frame and body, including all original wheel flares and spoilers. Herb Adams’ components aided in lowering the ride height as have custom springs. Sway bars front and rear are also from Herb Adams. They make the car handle slightly toward oversteer, but the Tanque is almost flat through all but the most severe corners.

Our drivetrain selection includes a heavy-duty Richmond Super T-10 four-speed connected to a 3.55:1 geared 12 bolt rear end. This gives us a top speed of about 160 mph but still allows us to use the lower gears in slower corners without winding the motor up too high. Improvements are allowed for safety only. In keeping with that, we have added a Halon fire system and NASCAR style driver’s side door bars. The original type of door bars was too close to my ribs for comfort. I use a Cobra Kevlar seat, as the original seats offered no real support. Other than these few exceptions, the car is as original as we could build it within our budget constraints.

I feel compelled to thank the following people for helping make my dream come true. My wife Sherry, who has supported me even when it didn’t seem logical to do so. She serves as the team owner, does my timing and scoring, checks tire pressures, feeds us, is a mechanics helper and does whatever else comes along. My best friend, Jeff Henninge, acts as my crew chief, assistant engine builder, and also helped build the car. Ned Gwinner, Steve Simonaitis and Dee Bowers act as our occasional “crew”.

Road Racing was the most gratifying driving experience I could have imagined. Driving at high speeds as a career Paramedic has been an integral part of my life. Going fast and being safe is one thing, going as fast as one possibly can on a racetrack is quite another! Historic Sportscar Racing Ltd. gives you the opportunity to actually be Mario Andretti or Mark Donahue for a day or two. For people like me, The Walter Mitty Challenge is the Twenty-four Hours of Le Mans and the Twenty-four Hours of Daytona wrapped up all into one!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	1963 SOHC 421, with rear mounted cam belts, and 3-valve heads.jpg
Views:	156
Size:	96.5 KB
ID:	584425   Click image for larger version

Name:	63_Pontiac-Grand-Prix-X_400_DV-15-AI-a04-800.jpg
Views:	156
Size:	164.5 KB
ID:	584427   Click image for larger version

Name:	63_Pontiac-Grand-Prix-X_400_DV-15_AI-e01-800.jpg
Views:	123
Size:	167.9 KB
ID:	584428   Click image for larger version

Name:	63-Pontiac-GrandPrix-X-400_DV-15-AI_i05-800.jpg
Views:	123
Size:	120.6 KB
ID:	584429   Click image for larger version

Name:	63-Pontiac-GrandPrix-X-400_DV-15-AI_i04-800.jpg
Views:	158
Size:	114.3 KB
ID:	584430  

Old 02-18-2022, 12:58 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
The Warrior on the Flow bench was a SS manifold we did years ago.... Fwiw

Old 02-18-2022, 01:05 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAUL K View Post
The Warrior on the Flow bench was a SS manifold we did years ago.... Fwiw
That's neat. Out of curiosity whose intake? I have a few of them laying around and am hoping to go back to NHRA SS one day as the NMCA stuff is getting really spread out with many long hauls and almost a full week off to hit one race.
I still really like these intakes for the SS classes and have seen the well prepped ones make almost as much as a Victor.

Old 02-18-2022, 01:15 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
That's neat. Out of curiosity whose intake? I have a few of them laying around and am hoping to go back to NHRA SS one day as the NMCA stuff is getting really spread out with many long hauls and almost a full week off to hit one race.
I still really like these intakes for the SS classes and have seen the well prepped ones make almost as much as a Victor.
Greg Myer it was quicker than his Victor right off the bat. He did all the hard work and I coached him a bit. It had more left in it. Eventually it would be quicker and faster than his "other shop" prepped Victor.

Last edited by PAUL K; 02-18-2022 at 01:20 PM.
Old 02-18-2022, 01:25 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAUL K View Post
Greg Myer it was quicker than his Victor right off the bat. He did all the hard work and I coached him a bit. It had more left in it. Eventually it would be quicker and faster than his "other shop" prepped Victor.
Thanks..good info.

The Following User Says Thank You to Mike Davis For This Useful Post:
Old 02-18-2022, 02:17 PM
Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom s View Post
This thread has been on this Site since Oct 2020,right under you internet nose!
https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com...d.php?t=845557
Mike Reply, I lost track of the Tunnel Ram Project and I asked about it just today. Thank you for the Post selection. I can see I have a lot to catch up on. I will get on it today.

Old 02-18-2022, 02:30 PM
Suspended

Quote:
Thank you to John Wallace for the next Posts about the 303ci and TOM S. THIS IS WHERE I GOT THAT THE 303 ci BLOCK WAS CUT DOWN 1-1/2", SO, AGAIN MY MEMORY IS NOT TOO BAD, for the second time:

http://www.wallaceracing.com/303-mystery-engine-1.html

Mikes Reply: JSchmitz, thank you for the viewing, if you have anything to add you are welcome, just begin and I will work with you to proceed in the same way Hesster1976 and I are inserting our documents.

Last edited by TRADERMIKE 2012; 02-18-2022 at 03:04 PM.
Old 02-18-2022, 03:02 PM
Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by ; PAUL K 6320201
Mikes Reply: PAUL K, who is Greg Myer? How about slowing down and explain to us "non-Racers", so we can learn something here. Start with "we once raced at such and such race track etc"...

I would like to hear your "Race Story" and so do others, please. By the way, what shop was that Testing being done in and when?

Old 02-18-2022, 03:10 PM
Boost Engineer

Quote:
Normal 389, 400, 421, 428, 455 block deck height is approximately 10.230"

The deck height on the 303 engine is 9.2" roughly.

10.2" - 9.2" = 1 inch difference. Not sure where you got the info that the 303 was cut down 1.5 inches (see above) and a 1/2 error is not a small error.

Could you post up the source of that info?? Thanks

Tom V.

Despite small distractions, there are those who will go Forward, Learning, Sharing Knowledge, Doing what they can to help others move forward.
Old 02-18-2022, 03:18 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Tom,the factory made 2 303 blocks,the short deck and std deck.I have a std deck in my bird.They we’re built with RA IV heads like the 366.Tom

The Following User Says Thank You to tom s For This Useful Post:
Old 02-18-2022, 03:19 PM
Ultimate Warrior

303std
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	8160E067-2235-4D6A-800E-66A729551DCD.jpg
Views:	199
Size:	48.0 KB
ID:	584446  

Old 02-18-2022, 07:40 PM
Boost Engineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom s View Post
Tom,the factory made 2 303 blocks,the short deck and std deck.I have a std deck in my bird.They we’re built with RA IV heads like the 366.Tom
My point was Tom, the deck height was not 1.5" different between the short deck and the production height engine.

Tom V.

Despite small distractions, there are those who will go Forward, Learning, Sharing Knowledge, Doing what they can to help others move forward.
The Following User Says Thank You to Tom Vaught For This Useful Post:
Old 02-18-2022, 07:47 PM
Ultimate Warrior

with that your 100% correct.Tom

The Following User Says Thank You to tom s For This Useful Post:
Old 02-18-2022, 08:22 PM
Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Vaught View Post
Normal 389, 400, 421, 428, 455 block deck height is approximately 10.230"

The deck height on the 303 engine is 9.2" roughly.

10.2" - 9.2" = 1 inch difference. Not sure where you got the info that the 303 was cut down 1.5 inches (see above) and a 1/2 error is not a small error.

Could you post up the source of that info?? Thanks

Tom V.

Mike Reply: see page three please, read in the blue field in small print.

http://www.wallaceracing.com/303-engine-3.html

Closed Thread