Old 02-18-2022, 08:53 PM
Boost Engineer

Sorry Mike but the Article is wrong, not your fault.

Not the first time for a mistake from an article writer.

Tom V.

Despite small distractions, there are those who will go Forward, Learning, Sharing Knowledge, Doing what they can to help others move forward.
Old 02-18-2022, 08:58 PM
Ultimate Warrior

In those early years there was a ton of miss information!Same things still happen!When it comes to the tunnel port program I never say never at all!In the short time I have been doing this stuff(about 20 years)I have run into so many engineering anomalies.We do know there was 25 303 SCCA engines and "about" a 100 400 crate engines but engineering try and fails and stuff out the back door its unbelievable.A few years back I bought a unmachined 400 intake from a guy about 40 miles from me,he also had a cut in half V heads used for flo testing diff valve size.He also has a set of first gen short deck exhaust manifolds.I have been trying to buy the exhaust from his family after he passed away.There is a lot of tunnel port parts still showing up every month.FYI,engineering never refered the program as RA V VI or VII.It was just refered to as the "Tunnel Port " program.Remember this stuff was on the drawing board at least 55 years ago!Tom

The Following User Says Thank You to tom s For This Useful Post:
Old 02-21-2022, 07:25 AM
Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom s View Post
In those early years there was a ton of miss information! The same things still happen! When it comes to the tunnel port program, I never say "never at all and never say always"! In a short time, I have been doing this stuff (about 20 years) I have run into so many engineering anomalies. We do know there were 25 303 SCCA engines and "about" 100 400 crate engines but engineering try and fails and stuff out the back door it's unbelievable. A few years back I bought an unmachined 400 intake from a guy about 40 miles from me, he also had a cut in half V heads used for flow testing diff valve size. He also has a set of first gen short deck exhaust manifolds. I have been trying to buy the exhaust from his family since he passed away. There are a lot of tunnel port parts still showing up every month. FYI, engineering never referred to the program as RA V, VI, and VII. It was just referred to as the "Tunnel Port " program. Remember this stuff was on the drawing board at least 55 years ago! Tom
Mike Reply:

Well, I have "no" argument, nice to clear up that misunderstanding. Also, I read half the document you had me read about the current project: "in the development of creating a copy of the 1960's "Tunnel Port Factory Intake". I will finish reading the other half to find out what became of that endeavor, since it changed hands. I don't want to reply on that topic until I read it all, Mike out.

Last edited by TRADERMIKE 2012; 02-21-2022 at 07:59 AM.
Old 02-23-2022, 10:47 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I just got done talking to Phil who owned the 303. The intake was a small block cut apart by Jim Miller then Phil had it welded at Westinghouse research where he worked. The intake went to H O racing. Phil is going to look for photos. He is calling Jim for more info.

Old 02-25-2022, 05:21 AM
Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdbob View Post
I just got done talking to Phil who owned the 303. The intake was a small block cut apart by Jim Miller then Phil had it welded at Westinghouse research where he worked. The intake went to H O racing. Phil is going to look for photos. He is calling Jim for more info.

Mikes Reply: How about setting the stage for your story as we wait for you to get the Info. you seek. "Were they taking 2-3 different Intake Manifolds and making one as H-O did"?

Old 02-25-2022, 07:49 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I havent got more info yet. The intake Jim and Phil did had the carbs inline,we do know that.

Old 02-25-2022, 01:31 PM
Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdbob View Post
I haven't got more info yet. The intake Jim and Phil did have the carbs inline; we do know that.
Mikes Reply:
Was it 2 or 3 Carbs?

Old 02-25-2022, 03:18 PM
Ultimate Warrior

2 -4bbl Holly s. I will get more info as I'm talking to both of them by internet.

Old 02-25-2022, 09:10 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I think at the beginning of the thread the Holley were 660 center squitters.Tom

Old 02-26-2022, 02:13 PM
Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom s View Post
I think at the beginning of the thread the Holley were 660 center squitters'
Mikes Reply: This is a tribute to Tom S. for his contribution of the Third rendition of the 1962-63 SD 421 ci Tunnel Ram Manifold creation, a true Inspiration to the Pontiac Community at large. I am Posting some Pictures here for Posterity.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	421 SD Bathtub intake.jpg
Views:	225
Size:	69.4 KB
ID:	584968   Click image for larger version

Name:	35  Pontiac Bath Tub Pattern Intake Manifold construction.jpg
Views:	206
Size:	41.3 KB
ID:	584969   Click image for larger version

Name:	31  Pontiac Bath Tub Pattern Intake Manifold construction.jpg
Views:	202
Size:	55.1 KB
ID:	584970   Click image for larger version

Name:	26 Pontiac Bath Tub Pattern Intake Manifold construction.jpg
Views:	225
Size:	152.5 KB
ID:	584971   Click image for larger version

Name:	Toms Prototype Bath Tub Intake top view.jpg
Views:	219
Size:	46.1 KB
ID:	584973  

Old 03-02-2022, 01:14 AM
Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Hendrickson View Post
The original H-O Racing "Canted carb" Tunnel Ram exists today. Here's a picture of it installed in Selden's 1963 Tempest on top of a 455SD. The carbs and linkage have been changed, but the intake is the same.

TRADERMIKE HERE, I FOUND THIS OVER THE NET AND IT HAS TO DO WITH THIS POST:

Selden Ruwwe’s 1963 Tempest

Jeffery Redhage
January 6

Selden Ruwwe’s 1963 Tempest being driven by my father Denis Redhage at I-57 Raceway

in Benton, Illinois. The 1963 Tempest was powered by a 1958 370 Pontiac with Ram Air

IV heads and a custom H-O Racing Specialties tunnel ram intake with twin 660 Holley

carburetors. The combination was backed by a Liberty geared 4-speed transmission and

Dana 60 with 5.38 gears. From the Photo Collection of Jeffery Redhage.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	2   Selden Ruwwe’s 1963 Tempest.jpg
Views:	210
Size:	57.0 KB
ID:	585212   Click image for larger version

Name:	1963SUPER DUTY BATH TUB INTAKE.jpg
Views:	223
Size:	107.1 KB
ID:	585213   Click image for larger version

Name:	421 TRI-POWER.jpg
Views:	201
Size:	108.7 KB
ID:	585214   Click image for larger version

Name:	Carter AFB Dual Quad. Carb. 3361s  Rear and Front is 3804s..jpg
Views:	200
Size:	60.4 KB
ID:	585215   Click image for larger version

Name:	Toms Prototype Bath Tub Intake top view.jpg
Views:	197
Size:	46.1 KB
ID:	585216  

Old 03-02-2022, 01:36 AM
Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRADERMIKE 2012 View Post
Mikes Reply: I went over the Internet and found this only: Note, if you can find that Article you can read what it said.
After reading this post again Craig warns the audience that the article in question is a whopping 11 MB, we are into 8 Gig on a thumb drive that I carry in my pocket, how far have we come? Mike out.

Old 03-02-2022, 02:42 AM
formerly 'Pontiac Jack'

It looks like reverse cooling was eliminated on the '58 engine by using a later timing cover?

Old 03-02-2022, 03:30 AM
Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRADERMIKE 2012 View Post
Mikes Response: Since I don't know which Vehicle, they are talking about, I will Post what Photos I have on them.
Mikes Reply: Vic Edelbrock Sr. is mentioned in H-O post:

Otis Victor Edelbrock

Born Otis Victor Edelbrock, he was best known as “Vic”. Vic's natural propensity for

all things mechanical made him a natural with the automobile. Born in a small town in

Kansas, Vic left for a better, more prosperous life on the West Coast hoping to one

day work for himself. By 1933 he was married and racing at the dry lakes with

friends, and opened his own repair shop in partnership with his new brother-in-law

Ray. As his passion for speed became stronger, Vic started building his own speed

parts for his flathead Ford to push his car to be the best.

After serving time welding and machining parts on an assembly line for war time

efforts, Vic knew he had the experience to mass produce his own parts. Vic would go

on to test all of his new parts with his 1932 Ford, which was his daily driver during

the week and his racer on the weekends. As the business grew, he tested parts with

the company’s new Clayton dynamometer and then field tested his new products to get

the best results.

​ Vic followed all of the emerging trends to stay on top of what was happening and

he propelled the company forward by being cutting edge for the day.
New emerging engines from the big automakers, like Chevrolet's small block engine

program, would give Vic the basis for continually adding new parts. With racing

programs pushing his business along and solidifying his spot in the marketplace,

Vic’s company would become the leader in the marketplace.

In 1962 at the age of 49, Vic Senior passed away from cancer and Vic Junior would

be given the reins to the company with support from Vic Senior's loyal employees.

After almost four decades of speed equipment from Vic Sr., Junior would continue

pushing the company forward to carry on his dad’s legacy. Today the company is

flourishing with help from Vic Junior and his two daughters who are heavily involved

with the company!

​Some of the things Vic Sr. was noted for:
His first 32 Ford with a flathead engine that he drove to a land speed record in

September 1941.
Vics first flathead ford manifold created in 1938, called the “Slingshot” manifold
His idea to start his first catalog of race parts for Edelbrock Speed-Performance in

1946, featuring his parts and others speed parts.
Being the first one to use a Dynamometer for research and development of his parts in

Building the first flathead Ford engine to power a streamliner to go over 200 mph.
Achieving 1HP per cubic inch with Chevrolet's Small Block Chevy in 1958.
Campaigning power boats and even V8-60 powered midget racers to test his parts in the

real world and grab many victories with top drivers of the day.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	VIC EDELBROCK SR  3.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	27.2 KB
ID:	585218   Click image for larger version

Name:	VIC EDELBROCK SR 2.jpg
Views:	128
Size:	60.3 KB
ID:	585219   Click image for larger version

Name:	VIC EDELBROCK SR.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	16.9 KB
ID:	585220   Click image for larger version

Name:	vic_edelbrock.jpg
Views:	121
Size:	55.3 KB
ID:	585221   Click image for larger version

Name:	vic-edelbrock.jpg
Views:	119
Size:	34.0 KB
ID:	585222  

Old 03-02-2022, 03:43 AM
Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Gifford View Post
It looks like reverse cooling was eliminated on the '58 engine by using a later timing cover?

Mikes Reply:
I am not sure by the photos that I am posting to make that call, because the Motors I am posting are "not" labeled so. "Could people have rebuilt older Motors and simply have upgraded to later Heads"?

Old 03-02-2022, 04:26 AM
Suspended

MIKES REPLY: Jim McFarland is mentioned in the H-O post:

10 Questions for Jim McFarland: LINK BELOW

https://www.sema.org/news-media/maga...-jim-mcfarland

10 Questions for Jim McFarland
By Douglas McColloch

Photo Courtesy: Jim McFarland

McFarland
June 1967: Hot Rod editor Jim McFarland (center, surrounded by a few dozen junior-high students) stands beside a brand-new '67 Chevy Camaro. It was the first-ever Camaro shipped to the state of California, and Hot Rod snagged it for a project build. With the aid of 16 aftermarket companies, the Camaro was said to be the first of its kind to run 11-sec. quarters.

Longtime followers of the automotive aftermarket need no introduction to Jim McFarland. Formerly an editor at Hot Rod who attended the first-ever SEMA Show, he became renowned for his work at Edelbrock as vice president of R&D through the ‘70s and ‘80s. Later, he worked in marketing and engineering positions at companies including Flow master, Hedman and Hypertech. He is the author of more than 400 technical articles, including SAE papers and publications for the motorsports, TV and outdoor markets. He was SEMA’s Person of the Year for 1985, and he was inducted into the SEMA Hall of Fame in 2001.

We spent a few minutes with McFarland to see what he’s been up to in recent days and to get his thoughts on the specialty-equipment industry. What follows has been edited for clarity and length.

SEMA News: What’s one of your most recent projects, and what inspired you to do it?

Jim McFarland: Years ago, I chaired the SEMA Emissions Committee, and I came to the conclusion along the way that the organization needed its own emissions lab. I said it would bring a lot of credibility to the industry, and it would facilitate the kind of activities that the industry needed. I spent years and years trying to get it done, but eventually I managed to get across the point that SEMA needed its own testing facility.

SN: What do you drive nowadays and why?

JM: A late-model SUV. The utility vehicle is becoming the most predominant vehicle coming out of Detroit and it will become the next ’55 Chevy over time in terms of its effect on the industry.

SN: What gets you excited about the performance aftermarket these days?

JM: The possibility of electric vehicles. They are obviously coming, and that will create a great deal of opportunity as a viable area of growth for the industry.

SN: What industry trend has most surprised you over the years?

McFarland JM: I was around when SEMA first started. Back then, there was a fair amount of resistance to letting the OEMs come in for fear of losing control, so the way the organization allowed the OEs to eventually join surprised me based on the way they were thinking in the beginning.

SN: What’s one rule you refused to break throughout your career?

JM: I think because I originally came from the magazine side of the industry, I always thought the most important thing was to be honest and not misrepresent things, especially not in print.

SN: Talk about a project that was a failure but which taught you a valuable lesson later on.

JM: Vic Edelbrock was president of SEMA in the early ’70s. During that time, I thought it would be a good idea to have an open house and let the industry see what the organization was doing about emissions. At the same time, I thought it would be good to invite representatives from the California Air Resources Board [CARB] to come down as well. Once it was known that we were inviting CARB to our open house, it scared off the industry, so we ended up having an open house for CARB. The lesson I learned from this is that you have to be careful in how you frame your events so that you don’t run off the people you’re trying most to attract.

SN: What’s the most unusual work assignment you’ve ever been given?

JM: When Vic was president of SEMA, he created three committees that hadn’t existed before. One was dedicated to safety, one was for noise, and the third was for emissions. He tapped me to run the emissions committee, and it was completely foreign ground to me. We had objectives but no roadmap to go by, so it was strictly seat-of-the-pants.

SN: You can take a road trip with anyone to anywhere. Who would you choose, and where would you go?

JM: [Legendary GM engineer and “Father of The Corvette”] Zora Arkus-Duntov. I admired him growing up and used a lot of his camshafts when I built engines during my college years. Later I got a chance to meet him, and we became very good friends and did a lot of things together. So, if I had a chance to go anywhere, I’d take a road trip with him to the Corvette Museum, because it’s packed with stuff he was personally involved with.

SN: What’s on your personal bucket list?

JM: At my age, although it may seem idealistic, it would be to do whatever I can to help SEMA grow its membership. A lot can be derived from the association, and the benefits it can offer the membership is something that we all should support.

SN: Describe a perfect day in the life of Jim McFarland.

JM: Because of all the time I spent doing industry-related things such as SEMA activities, serving on the SEMA Board and traveling for business, I think a perfect thing for me would be to spend time with my wife. She put up with all this stuff, so I spend as much time with her as I can now.

Old 03-02-2022, 05:30 AM
Suspended

Mike Reply: I found the cover pages of the two books written by H-O :

"Pontiac Heavy Duty Engine Parts and Specs Book"

This new book contains Pontiac performance parts information not available else were. It is primarily concerned with 1959-1974 engines of the RAM Air, Super Duty or High Output series. This book is written by Craig Hendrickson and Kern Osterstock. 31 Pages chock full of extra cool data.

"1955-1979 Pontiac Heavy-Duty Parts & Specs Catalog"

Reprint "1955-1979 Pontiac Heavy-Duty Parts & Specs Catalog". Includes Engine Components, Chassis Components, Specifications and Codes. It measures 8.50" x 11.00" with 32 pages. It is in excellent condition.

PS, I thought you would like to see this: A person selling a lower Radiator hose for 1967-69 Pontiacs $1200 on Ebay.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	1955-1979 Pontiac Heavy-Duty Parts & Specifications Manual Catalog 55-79.jpg
Views:	115
Size:	66.4 KB
ID:	585223   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pontiac HD Parts & Specs.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	49.1 KB
ID:	585224   Click image for larger version

Name:	2  9788916 RADIATOR HOSE RAM AIR II IV.jpg
Views:	130
Size:	78.6 KB
ID:	585225   Click image for larger version

Name:	9788916 RADIATOR HOSE RAM AIR II IV.jpg
Views:	114
Size:	83.4 KB
ID:	585226   Click image for larger version

Name:	9788916 RADIATOR HOSE RAM AIR II IV  $1200.jpg
Views:	135
Size:	74.8 KB
ID:	585227  

Last edited by TRADERMIKE 2012; 03-02-2022 at 05:46 AM.
Old 05-09-2022, 01:09 PM
Suspended

Mikes finds:

Ad for H-O, from one of Hesster1976 Articles!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Mack pg3 (2).jpg
Views:	167
Size:	120.4 KB
ID:	590452   Click image for larger version

Name:	Catalog1979Page24.jpg
Views:	141
Size:	61.7 KB
ID:	590453   Click image for larger version

Name:	Catalog1979Page27.jpg
Views:	123
Size:	88.3 KB
ID:	590454   Click image for larger version

Name:	Catalog1979Page28.jpg
Views:	138
Size:	81.5 KB
ID:	590455  
Attached Files
File Type: txt Flow-stream energy HO .txt (70.7 KB, 333 views)

Old 05-10-2022, 04:35 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Love seeing that old High Performance Injuns ad!

220" Rear Engine Pontiac Powered Dragster
https://www.facebook.com/PontiacSpeedShop/
https://www.facebook.com/GoatZillaRacing/
https://www.facebook.com/groups/RebuildExcitement/
https://www.facebook.com/Call1844RacersRV/
https://www.facebook.com/groups/INJUNWARS/
Old 05-12-2022, 01:15 AM
Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoatZillaRacing View Post
Love seeing that old High Performance Injuns ad!
Mikes Reply: Tradermike2012

See lots more at this site:

https://mail.yahoo.com/d/folders/1/messages/50747

See Hesster1976 also:

https://mail.yahoo.com/d/folders/1/messages/51908

Closed Thread