Interior TECH Upholstery, Carpet, Dash, Headliner...

Old 02-08-2022, 11:19 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Default 2nd Gen Lower Dash Panel Screw Anchors

1973 Trans AM - One of the plastic anchors on the lower dash panel under the steering column is broken. These are the oval shaped anchors that the 1/4 turn screws go into to hold the lower panel in place. I have found replacements, but am stumped as to how to remove the old broken plastic anchor. Has anyone done this before?

Thank You!

Old 02-08-2022, 05:47 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Update - After some serious under-dash yoga, I did manage to get my smallest screwdriver in between the plastic anchor and the metal brace that is snaps into from underneath and behind the steering column. I then used a pair of vice grips to gently squeeze the retainer tabs together from underneath while gently prying with the screwdriver from above and the anchor popped out with no damage to the retainer clips. I'm going to guess that even, steady pressure in the center of the new anchor should have it in place with no damage to the retaining tabs. Hope this helps anyone who needs to replace these with the dash in place.

Old 02-09-2022, 10:43 AM
Ultimate Warrior

just an FYI, those anchors will pop out with just finger pressure in the right place & direction. from up top the metal piece they clip into, just push inward & down on one side & it will dislodge the clip & allow the whole thing to drop out.

i do this without any "under dash yoga", just kneel down on the ground & reach your arm up behind that metal section of the dash & you can reach them with your hand to remove & install... with the steering column trim panel & metal brace or "cage" removed of course. i have a bunch of those clips of you or anyone needs some.

& also, even if either of the top "loops" are cracked, they will still function & install ok as long as the part the plastic screw inserts into isnt broken.

The Following User Says Thank You to 78w72 For This Useful Post: