Interior TECH Upholstery, Carpet, Dash, Headliner...

Old 02-15-2022, 10:26 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default 71 power seat questions

Hello, no one commenting in the 70-72 forum so I'll try here.

I'm working on a 71 Lemans.

first question: where does the relay for the power seat back release relay mount when you also have a power seat assembly? the relay was mounted on the floor under the center of the left bucket seat but it can't go there with the power seat track. I don't see any hole or dimple on the seat track motor plate to add a second relay, but the track most likely came from a 68 so it wouldn't have anything on it anyways.

Second question, can you tell me what application this rear apron mounting bracket is for? It's from a set I bought that was supposed to be 68-72 A body. front brackets are correct but rear has that extra metal with a second hole that won't fit on the bucket seat. the bracket I made on the left was modeled off a bracket I borrowed from a friend's 68 GTO. it will fit perfect if I trim off the metal behind the front mounting hole but I'm just curious what it was really supposed to fit. I also have a set of what I think are B body apron brackets but those are completely different in the rear.

Third question. there's a ground wire that's screwed to the middle of the motor mounting plate on the power seat. it has a large eyelet on it that I'm guessing goes to one of the front leg mounts on the power seat where it bolts to the front floor studs. which leg would it have gone to, the left or right side by the console?

Thanks,
Dennis
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2254.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	47.6 KB
ID:	584180   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2255.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	60.2 KB
ID:	584181   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2256.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	61.5 KB
ID:	584182  

Old 02-16-2022, 02:13 AM

Question 3: Ground strap shown in Fig-40, 1971 Fisher Manual, item 15. It goes on the left side.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	71 Power Seat Ground Strap.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	114.6 KB
ID:	584192  

Old 02-16-2022, 09:36 PM
Ultimate Warrior

ah dang...didn't event think to look in the body manual. - thanks! I guess that explains why there were no witness marks from star washer teeth on the eyelet as it gets sandwiched between the seat bracket and the floor bracket.

no luck at all in the book on the seat back relay mounting. I think I'm just going to have to measure the rearward travel on the motor plate and just mount that seat back relay on the floor back far enough to clear any movement of the seat. Though it would maybe make more sense they ran one of those power accessory split connectors taking one line in and three female position out so the seat harness feed wouldn't be moving back and forth with the seat to stress the main feed wire constantly, I'm guessing it would have been just one feed line from the fuse box that would have already been split up by where the power window and power lock relays were mounted up on the kick panel area.