Old 03-23-2022, 03:50 PM

Default 70 GTO dilemma

Not a bad dilemma but it bothers me a bit.
I recently picked up a numbers matching 70 455HO GTO. Driveline has all been done, interior all new, new fuel system, brakes and lines, frame blasted and painted, all rust repaired and body in primer. It's ready for final prep, painting and assembly.....oh, and nose does need some repair.
Now the dilemma; I will never be able to do a restoration to return this car to what it was, nor would i want to. i do all my work in my garage and driveway. I'm starting to think I should sell to get this car to someone who can do it right.....which is not me.
Numbers matching 455HO car
33 options on the build sheet
GM Corporate purchase by GM Comptroller
Delivered to address and not to a dealer
Car purchased by Enoch Ely, it was discussed on the forums before all the work was done
Do I sell and keep and build it as I like? Opinions?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	BS1.jpg
Views:	148
Size:	82.0 KB
ID:	586964   Click image for larger version

Name:	BS2.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	58.6 KB
ID:	586965   Click image for larger version

Name:	BS3.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	79.2 KB
ID:	586966  

Old 03-23-2022, 08:51 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I say build it your way.
How much different would it be?

Old 03-24-2022, 06:45 AM
Senior Chief

I agree as well. I say build it your way. Unless your only looking at the car as a investment. But unfinished projects can take a beating on resale. If its a dream of yours to have this car in your life, hold on to it, and put some color on it. Maybe consider buying some equipment and spraying it yourself. Or contract out a portion of the harder final prep work. It sounds like your a few thousand away from having it done. After your time is done with the car, the next guy can change it up if there is something they dont like

1973 Grand Am 400 4 speed
Old 03-24-2022, 10:25 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Sounds like most of the major work is already completed, minus the paint (and of course assembly)? What still needs to be done that you would "never be able to do a restoration to return this car to what it was, nor would want to"?

Assuming you are able to do the assembly, is it about the cost of painting the car and prep work? Maybe do as much prep as you can and farm out the rest to save $$? Or just take your time and do the best paint job you can...sounds like that might be acceptable to you. Paint can always be addressed by the next owner, if/when you chose to sell.

Seems like 'project' cars leave a lot of money on the table when sale/auction time comes.

That said...it would be difficult for me to let go of a numbers-matching 70 GTO with a 455HO/options.

1970 GTO (Granada Gold) - 400 / TH400
Old 03-24-2022, 11:36 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Is your name on the title? If so do whatever you want with it.

Old 03-24-2022, 01:48 PM

Titled in my name

Old 03-24-2022, 05:38 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I agree with others. Do your best job to make it yours. Be proud of the work you did and what you have. Let the next guy down the road make it the way he wants. I bought a rarer than I thought 72 Lemans vert with 400/400 T41 (factory GTO front sheet metal) car with many options (A/C, buckets with console, tilt steering, etc.). I did a frame off resto in my garage and also painted it there. It's extremely nice. Someone else someday can put a flawless paint job on if they want someday. I'm proud of it and will enjoy it until then.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC02315.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	65.9 KB
ID:	587060   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC02316.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	66.2 KB
ID:	587061