Old 05-08-2022, 07:59 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Epoxy Primer - Shelf Life

Hi everyone,

Does Epoxy Primer in a sealed can go bad?

Its from 1997

Old 05-09-2022, 08:08 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I would not trust the activator. If it’s something you are putting a lot of effort into, why take the risk?

Don

Old 05-09-2022, 01:16 PM
Ultimate Warrior

1997 epoxy could be lead based, which I s the most durable primer you could get. If its mixed and shaken well and activator is clear and not separated, I would use it. ( gasp) .
Yes Folks, BATTLESHIP Gray is Still in production ( DP40 ) As I recall. You will see it at ship yards and Nuclear power plants which have a few colors of it.

Old 05-10-2022, 12:26 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I still have some 10+ year old RM epoxy primer that I use for small parts that are not important and it still works fine even with the old activator.

I wouldn't use it for body panels, risk is too high.

Mix some up and if it still activates and hardens, then you can take your chances.

Oshawa built 1 option Judge basket case. 463, SD KRE 295's, CNC'd factory intake, Cliff's Qjet, Stump Puller HR cam, RARE RA manifolds, Pypes exhaust, T56 Magnum, McLeod RXT clutch, 3.42 12 bolt. 24 year project almost done...
The Following User Says Thank You to mrennie For This Useful Post:
Old 05-15-2022, 02:39 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Most of the time the epoxy is ok, but the activator is questionable. The chemicals go bad. If you can tell it has separated, it's bad. If it was me, I would not use activator older than 1 year.