Old 05-20-2022, 07:45 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Default 1970 WS Block??

I have acquired a 1970 WS Block with Main caps and standard bore. I am planning to use this motor in my 1969 Firebird project car that I am starting on. Before I take this engine to the machine shop for rebuild, I wanted to see if anyone here has the original car that this engine might belongs to. The date code on the block is C090 and casting # is 9799914. I am not sure of the best way to put this out there w/o revealing the entire serial # so input appreciated. If the car owner of this block can verify this block belongs to their car, I might consider an engine swap of another WS motor or equivalent. Thanks.

Old 05-20-2022, 07:59 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Just put out the last two or three digits. I had a YZ with that same date.

Old 05-20-2022, 10:08 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Default Last 2 digits

The last 2 of the # are 86 .

Old 05-20-2022, 10:31 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Oh...this could get interesting.

1970 GTO (Granada Gold) - 400 / TH400
Old 05-20-2022, 12:40 PM
Ultimate Warrior

The other thing you can do is specify whether it came out of a GTO or a Firebird. The partial VIN would tell you that. I'm assuming it was a Firebird since you posted it in the Firebird tech section, but I thought I would ask.

Old 05-20-2022, 01:04 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I don’t have the original engine or transmission for my 70 TA 4 speed car. PHS says it shipped on 3-24-1970. Any guesses of what date range my block would’ve been? I imagine early March would be cutting it too close. Just hoping to learn a few things

Spotts Built 484" IA2, Highports, EFI Northwind
Terminator X sequential EFI fabrication and suspension by
https://www.funkhouserracecars.com/
Old 05-20-2022, 01:34 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by vertigto View Post
Oh...this could get interesting.
Nope I’m STAYING out of this one 🙄

Old 05-20-2022, 01:36 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by R 70 Judge View Post
I don’t have the original engine or transmission for my 70 TA 4 speed car. PHS says it shipped on 3-24-1970. Any guesses of what date range my block would’ve been? I imagine early March would be cutting it too close. Just hoping to learn a few things
Would also depend on the plant. LA built cars seem to have really early date codes. The block from my 04A Norwood built formula is C100 for reference.

The Following User Says Thank You to FASTASSBIRD For This Useful Post:
Old 05-20-2022, 01:46 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpoltzer View Post
The last 2 of the # are 86 .
You my friend are a hero. Lol sorry read some other threads and you’ll understand. Of that was an 88 not an 86 I’d lose my mind I swear. Anyways. My opinion. Not that it seems to be worth much anymore is. Post the full 6, only because maybe 3 years from now someone looking for their block finds it by searching it and possibly the can make a deal with you at a later date. Many try looking for their block that way. I’m the end they gotta send you a picture of their vin tag to prove they really have the car. Kinda hard to fake that. Easy to buy a PHS and all but having the actual VIN tag is Definitive. As stated in other posts in the end you only really need to entertain any kinda offer from someone who can prove they have the car. Otherwise build it and use. Good on you though for trying.

Old 05-20-2022, 02:57 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Would the last 4 be 0986?

Old 05-20-2022, 03:19 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Default WS VIN

Thanks for the kind words Fastassbird: The VIN on the block is:
20N 112586 . I am unsure how to tell if it is a firebird or GTO?? Dave

Old 05-20-2022, 03:28 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

N is for Norwood so it is for a Formula or Trans Am. Amd no sweat. Glad to see you’re trying to at least reunite it

Old 05-20-2022, 03:51 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

My guess car was assembled in month of May if formula. Trans am had tighter date codes. My 70 Ra3 auto has block.code as 0a07 and assembled 1st week of March. But why go through all the trouble of trying to reunite things? I don't get it. It's ironic to see this and other topic of same Block. Is this thread strategically put here to influence the author of the other thread that's what I think. Does a person sell the block for more money than it's worth since car will regain value? It sounds like this will slow down anyone's project, maybe it's flipper heaven pipe dream stuff.

Old 05-20-2022, 04:05 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Default Trying to be a good Member

Just trying to help fellow enthusiasts out if I can. Nothing more and nothing less.
Dave

Old 05-20-2022, 04:23 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I own a 71 gto that was missing the original block. I went to a lot of trouble trying to track the vin stamped original block to my car down. It took about 8 years to get it located and certainly wasn’t anywhere to be found online so it wasn’t an easy task. There aren’t many of our Pontiacs left with original equipment. Luckily in my case, the owner of the block was glad to help me get the block back to the car, unlike the situation other thread. Coming from someone who has hunted and found the original vin stamped block, I can appreciate someone offering something like this up.

Old 05-20-2022, 10:14 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpoltzer View Post
Thanks for the kind words Fastassbird: The VIN on the block is:
20N 112586 . I am unsure how to tell if it is a firebird or GTO?? Dave
Too bad you don’t have the Phs on the block then we would at least know the area that the car came from , And somebody might recognize the car if it still exists but that’s another $85

Old 05-20-2022, 10:56 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
I mostly look at RAIV but I’ve seen from Nov to Jan. In March cars dint know if that’s correct or original Telli would know best IMO

selling turbos and turbo related parts since 2005!
Old 05-20-2022, 11:20 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Sometimes these things don't work out the way you would think.

I bought a 1970 WS engine and the Muncie 4-spd out of a 1970 Lucy Blue Trans Am in the mid-1980s. The buyer went with a 454 and a M-22 after he spun a rod bearing in the original motor. About ten years later and after several new owners, a guy contacts me to see if I still have the motor. I told the guy I didn't want to sell it, but I would trade it for another 1970 WS in the same condition and $200 for the trouble. He didn't like that answer, so he decided that since the motor had the same VIN as his car, he had legal claim to it. He hired a lawyer to write a letter demanding his block stating he was willing to compensate me for what I paid. A friend who was a lawyer said he had no claim unless the car had been stolen. He contacted DMV enforcement and an officer called me, and essentially agreed that he had no claim to the motor. The guy irritated me enough to where I told him the motor wasn't for sale, and don't call me again. I had a few unknown people call me randomly inquiring about a Ram III, but I said I didn't have one. I held onto it for another twenty years before I finally sold it to someone in Texas. If the guy hadn't been such a jerk, he could have gotten both the original motor and tranny (which he wasn't even aware he was missing).

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to poncho-mike For This Useful Post:
Old 05-20-2022, 11:26 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tellyshavilli View Post
Too bad you don’t have the Phs on the block then we would at least know the area that the car came from , And somebody might recognize the car if it still exists but that’s another $85
I thought it was $110 now ?
Or
Is that expedited .

selling turbos and turbo related parts since 2005!
Old 05-20-2022, 11:54 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Gonna depend on the plant. Van Nuys cars have really early Date codes. Recently saw. Numbers matching 4 speed 03A car with a Dec dated block. My 04A cars block is C100. Interestingly it has a lower vin the. This block being discussed and this block is C090. If your car is a Norwood car I’d say and of Feb start of March is about right

The Following User Says Thank You to FASTASSBIRD For This Useful Post: