Old 05-20-2022, 04:09 PM
Senior Chief

Default Replacement tach clock with quartz movement -- has anyone tried this?

There's a company in Utah called Whitegauges.net that sells a replacement for the tach clocks that stopped working on most of our cars around 1985. Has anyone tried this company / installing one of these?

Quartz Conversion Clock Repair Kit N-3085

Old 05-20-2022, 04:53 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Looks like it was made to fit. Couple of differences. The second hand will sweep in a smooth motion rather than incrementing 1/60th each second. And you won't hear the clunk when it resets (like in my video below). Oh, and it should last longer without needing service of any kind.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wZQg3hc0nr0

The Following User Says Thank You to TA455HO For This Useful Post:
Old 05-20-2022, 05:37 PM
Senior Chief

Yeah, I can live with the sweep second hand, I see that it uses a slightly different amperage but hopefully that would mean little or nothing in the way of rewiring.

Old 05-20-2022, 08:13 PM
Senior Chief

I think they are reselling the kit from these guys in Illinois https://www.clocksandgauges.com/ they have an ebay store called clocks4cars too. It looks exactly like the kit I got for my tach. I got tired of having to service my clock so the last time it stopped I decided to do the conversion. Fortunately I had a spare dead clock on the shelf because there is a little bit of cannibalizing involved and some soldering.
I have had it for more than 2 years now, and it has worked flawlessly. I do miss the clunk and the tick movement and if things are real quiet you can hear the clock motor spinning. But it keeps perfect time and I only have to touch the knob during time changes or if I remove the battery. Another plus is not having to worry about disconnecting the power and if the old clock will start back up again.

They have some decent youtube videos on how to install it too.

Old 05-20-2022, 08:21 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I installed one in my 77. Fairly straightforward and not difficult. I, however, have had instances of my clock stopping on occasion. Rapping the tach lens gets it started again but it’s a bit annoying. I’ve not taken the time to take everything apart again to try to clean the gears off gently. I imagine a piece of dirt or something is on a gear.

Otherwise the above mentioned observations are accurate. Except the cannibalizing. I don’t recall that specifically but it may have been the case.

Brian
Old 05-21-2022, 02:31 PM
Senior Chief

Thanks guys, I'm going to try this. I'm pulling the bezel soon anyway to replace some bulbs and a broken center vent, I'll put the clock in while I'm in there.

Old 05-21-2022, 03:57 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhill86 View Post
I installed one in my 77. Fairly straightforward and not difficult. I, however, have had instances of my clock stopping on occasion. Rapping the tach lens gets it started again but it’s a bit annoying. I’ve not taken the time to take everything apart again to try to clean the gears off gently. I imagine a piece of dirt or something is on a gear.

Otherwise the above mentioned observations are accurate. Except the cannibalizing. I don’t recall that specifically but it may have been the case.
I thought it was just me. I had mine converted about 20 years ago. It does that same sort of stopping with me too on occasion, usually when driving. I have a Challenger that's been converted too about 30 years ago and that one works flawlessly.

Old 05-21-2022, 06:02 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD73 View Post
I thought it was just me. I had mine converted about 20 years ago. It does that same sort of stopping with me too on occasion, usually when driving. I have a Challenger that's been converted too about 30 years ago and that one works flawlessly.
Yes, mine also seems to stop when driving only too

Brian
Old 05-21-2022, 06:15 PM
Ultimate Warrior

You need to be able to solder a couple of wires but the plus is the new quartz movement draws less than 1/20th + battery power that the old brass gear winder clocks used to.

MAKE SURE you work in a 99 to 100% clean work space when you open up the back of that metal clock can. And watch your tools. They could be dirty. Be really careful; all the hands including the dial face have to come off and then, of course that stuff gets put back on. The tiny aluminum second hand on those 2nd Gen Firebird-Trans am clocks. That thing is BEYOND FRAGILE!!!!!