THE LOBBY A gathering place. Introductions, sports, showin' off your ride, birthday-anniversary-milestone, achievements, family oriented humor.

Old 05-20-2022, 07:18 PM

Default Beware nicelong208

Nicelong208. Is an outright thief. Sent him money for a part. Many excuses but never got my part. Do not buy anything from this member

Old 05-20-2022, 07:41 PM

Banned.

Member with zero posts.

NEVER deal with one.

Only deal with established members and never use payment methods that have no recourse if you happen to get burned.

This must have been someone who contacted you by PM and never advertised here, be extremely wary of any member answering your want ad that has no background or posts here.

Old 05-20-2022, 08:03 PM

ivancole486

Note the type of usernames used by many scammers.

Just banned, joined yesterday.

Was seen sending PMs, definitely looking to scam someone.

We do our best here to hammer these scammers before they get the chance, but everyone here needs to practice their due diligence and not get fooled by zero post members.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to b-man For This Useful Post:
Old 05-20-2022, 08:46 PM

thomasadamsddss

Yet another just banned. Was reported to us to be PMing a member who had placed a parts wanted ad.

Don’t fall for it!

Old 05-20-2022, 10:18 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Also benreef
With email paulhenry1660@gmail.com

Old 05-20-2022, 10:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tellyshavilli View Post
Also benreef
Banned.

That’s mostly what we’ve been doing here lately.

Old 05-20-2022, 10:33 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tellyshavilli View Post
Also benreef
Yup I’ve had this one hit me up on PM for all my wanted ads what a joker

selling turbos and turbo related parts since 2005!
Old 05-21-2022, 07:04 AM
Ultimate Warrior

My website is under constant attack from scammers and "turds". Every person who tries to register for the FORUM must be approved by me. Most of the time I can just look at the user name and email address and REJECT them. If in doubt I research the ISP address and look at the location, etc.

Despite my best efforts a few still slip thru but most folks never know it. I go on early AM and look for folks trying to sell Asian or Russian brides, or male enhancement formulas and ban them forever. It's a CONSTANT battle and unlikely it will get better anytime soon.

Anyhow,

IF for some reason you have tried to join and not been approved send me a PM and I'll go back and take a second look at your application........Cliff

73 Ventura, SOLD 455, 3740lbs, 11.30's at 120mph, 1977 Pontiac Q-jet, HO intake, HEI, 10" converter, 3.42 gears, DOT's, 7.20's at 96mph and still WAY under the roll bar rule. Best ET to date 7.18 at 97MPH (1/8th mile),
The Following User Says Thank You to Cliff R For This Useful Post:
Old 05-21-2022, 09:00 AM
Senior Chief

Default Scammers

Here's how it appears to work.

1). Scammer tricks their way into the forum.

2). Scammer goes through the "Parts Wanted" sections of the forum.

3). Scammer sends PM to legit users claiming to have the parts needed.

4). Legit user gets excited that their part is available and are tricked into sending $$ that cannot be retrieved from the scammer.

5). Scammer gets found out, deleted and tricks their way back in.

6). Repeat steps 1-5.

How can we combat these scammers? Please share your ideas!!

1). Be VERY suspicious of "new-users" with few posts that send us PM's for Parts-Wanted.

2). Make ABSOLUTELY sure the person actually has the exact part you're looking for and it's really in their possession. I had a scammer send pictures of an Oldsmobile OAI air cleaner claiming it was for a Trans Am.

3). If you've been convinced with specific detailed photos that the "Seller" actually has the parts you are looking for, perhaps offer to have a friend that lives near their location meet them to inspect the part and exchange payment.

4). If they agree to meet for an exchange, find someone on the forum willing to meet the suspected scammer for the exchange???

Old 05-21-2022, 10:00 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Just looking at the user name and email address I can reject most of them without any further research. If in doubt I look at the location of the ISP and can the rest. I'm not always right, but er on the side of caution. I can also go thru the ISP's and see them duplicated many times in continuous attempts to get registered on the Forum. I also look closely at the location which very quickly sends a flag up for these folks. Many are located outside the USA, and a high percentage from Asia and Africa.

Despite the best efforts some are still going to weasel their way onto these Forums because when there is money to be made from unsuspecting folks who still have faith in the human race their will ALWAYS be deception.

I've learned some HARD lessons trusting folks in this industry, and these days you will find it difficult, if not near impossible to drive a 7 penny nail up my backside with a SLEDGEHAMMER!........LOL.......

73 Ventura, SOLD 455, 3740lbs, 11.30's at 120mph, 1977 Pontiac Q-jet, HO intake, HEI, 10" converter, 3.42 gears, DOT's, 7.20's at 96mph and still WAY under the roll bar rule. Best ET to date 7.18 at 97MPH (1/8th mile),
Old 05-21-2022, 10:04 AM
Ultimate Warrior

If you used a credit card you can call them to stop payment... if you catch it fast enough.

Gary
Get in, ShuT Up, Hang On!
Member of the Baltimore Built Brotherhood
MY GTO built 4th Week of March 1966
"Crusin' Is Not A Crime"
Keep yer stick on the ice.
Old 05-21-2022, 01:24 PM
Ultimate Warrior

My emails, my texts, etc. It's amazing what gets through and how nonchalant I've become about it. They're gone with the swipe of my finger. We have mandatory training about online risks for our work phones, email, etc. You really have to be self-managing and unfortunately sometimes people, nice trusting people, get burned. Don't feel bad, this is what they do all day, every day.

Old 05-28-2022, 06:26 PM

otfbilly0424

Latest one, joined today and already sending PMs to members here.

Beware.

Old 05-28-2022, 08:57 PM

I just wanted to make a comment about this scamming. You know, I don't think that I have 2 posts. I read ,today's posts, almost every day. And I can always find my questions and answers. Yes, just because you fellows are so enthusiastic about our hobby. So, thanks everyone for your help, and you didn't know, I am grateful.