Old 04-10-2024, 03:09 PM
Ultimate Warrior

When I get home I'll check the wiring diagram.

George

Old 04-10-2024, 06:09 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by george kujanski View Post
What am I looking at in the pic?
It is a relay next to the bulkhead connection. The connector to it was loose. I took it off and cleaned the terminals then hooked it back up.
I took the battery to a shop and they put a load test on it and it showed the battery was good. It is only about a year old, as are the battery cables and starter.
I took the car for a good test drive, shutting it off a few times and restarting it. I did not have a problem.
I am going to use a meter to check for current draw with the car shut off.

Old 04-10-2024, 06:40 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I can't pull the car out of the shop because it is raining, and I can't open the door far enough to crawl my old butt under the steering wheel to check the junction block, but I did find that I have 12+ volts from the alternator hot lug to ground and there is also 12+ volts from both sides of a firewall mounted relay that runs from the hot battery post through the accessory wire. I can't remember what that relay powers. There is one wire from the battery to it and two wires coming from it going somewhere! This is a picture of it.
I am not an automotive electrician so I don't know if I should have voltage at these spots or not.
One other thing, I unplugged the two wire connection from the side of the alternator and had 12+ volts from one of the wires to ground. I changed over to an internal regulator alternator many years ago and used a conversion wiring block from M&H to keep the original wiring.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20240410_182319.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	55.0 KB
ID:	631885  

Last edited by fyrffytr1; 04-10-2024 at 06:46 PM.
Old 04-10-2024, 07:17 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I believe that relay is for the horn...so probably not causing your problem.

The Following User Says Thank You to gtospieg For This Useful Post:
Old 04-10-2024, 09:12 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtospieg View Post
I believe that relay is for the horn...so probably not causing your problem.
I figured that out. My horn has been sounding sickly for a while, but I hit the horn button after reconnecting the wires and it sounded good and loud.

Old 04-11-2024, 09:46 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Yep, horn relay. Your recent pic shows a circuit breaker...any idea where those wires go? Looking at the crimp terminals on it, it may be a "custom".

George

Old 04-11-2024, 01:42 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by george kujanski View Post
Yep, horn relay. Your recent pic shows a circuit breaker...any idea where those wires go? Looking at the crimp terminals on it, it may be a "custom".

George
Pretty sure they go to a "temporary" convertible top switch, but I will trace them to see. The guys that installed the dash put the top switch where the rear speaker switch is supposed to go, on the right side of the gauge housing. It stretched the wires and the switch eventually fell apart. I installed a temporary switch under the dash on the left side and wired it through the breaker. The temporary switch has been there about 5 or 6 years.

Old 04-11-2024, 01:47 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I drove the car for better than an hour today. I drove stop and go, low speed and highway speed. I shut the car off several times and started it back up. It never died, didn't even cough or spit! I don't know what to do! I guess I will just drive it until it shuts off again, if it does.
I did do a starter and alternator test on it and both were good.