Old 01-23-2022, 04:14 PM

Default Steering Linkage replacement question...

Another dumb question from me, gang...

Doing a steering linkage replacement on my '79.

Most common procedure I'm researching is to remove the center/drag link with the inner/outer tie rods and idler arm still attached as one assembly, and then duplicate it as best I can with the new parts (specifically the tie rod adjustment)...

But here's my dilemma... let's say I *DON'T* have a linkage on the car at this time to reference the new parts off of, and need to install from scratch. My dumbass removed all the old tie rods from the adjuster sleeves without realizing that I should have kept them exactly as they were to base the new parts off of them. So what should I do with the tie rods for a "good enough to get me to the alignment shop without killing me" alignment? How would the factory have theoretically installed the linkages at time of assembly?

I know the first thing I need to do is center the steering box, which I've already done. I have a quick ratio steering box, so I only have 2.75 turns from lock-to-lock. A 1.325 turn from either extreme brings the pitman arm right to parallel with the subframe, as it should be (though my steering wheel is completely off center even in this position, probably due to the tie rods). I also have the wheels/spindles positioned as "straight/parallel" as I can visualize. So from there, what do I do?

If worse comes to worse, I suppose I can slap it all on there in a complete and utter mess and then have it towed to an alignment shop to let them make it right, but I'd like to avoid the extra cost, if possible.

Old 01-23-2022, 10:40 PM
Senior Chief

use 2 yard sticks... You will need a tape measure and a helper. by placing the yard sticks across the outside edges of the tire so they extend in front and behind the tire. Next measure at the front of sticks and at the rear....you now have your toe in/toe out. Adjust till front is same as rear. Gettting left side and right side the same does NOT MATTER very much as that will be adjusted per your steering wheel/gear box CENTER POINT. This should get you to an alignment shop ...ASAP.