Old 12-05-2021, 01:49 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Starter Motor Restamp?

Obviously this looks like a re-stamp, seller claims it isn't. Was this somewhat common at Delco?
It doesn't make any sense to me why someone would re-stamp a fairly common starter. A 353 perhaps, but then again, a lot of things don't make sense in this hobby.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	BD11EF69-1019-4956-B254-37B7A16DD16D.jpg
Views:	201
Size:	50.7 KB
ID:	579152  

1968 GTO (Thanks Mom)
2006 Silverado
2007 Cadillac SRX
2015 Chevy Express

Old 12-05-2021, 04:21 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I'd say, going from the perfectly consistent finish on the cast metal that it wasn't restamped. Usually a restamp requires grinding off the old numbers which leaves obvious signs on the finish of the casting. My guess is that part number had numerous digits that remained unchanged throughout a range of applications and the stamping machine only changed the applicable digits and used a different font when it did so.

Meaning, if a part used the form XXXXYXXYY and the X's were the same for a run of thousands of starters and only the Y's changed, they would probably stamp all the X's first and then stamp the Y's later depending on application.

Old 12-05-2021, 04:34 PM
Ultimate Warrior

https://www.ebay.com/itm/26382537399...evt=1&mkcid=28

The Following User Says Thank You to Scott Thelander For This Useful Post:
Old 12-06-2021, 01:09 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Looks real to me and I have seen thousands of stamps. I have seen different fonts on a lot of starters and alternators so it isn't all that unusual. Not only have I seen different fonts, but also double stamps, and on some the stamping depth is not always uniform, meaning some letters or numbers are light and some are deep.I also have an OE delco starter case with no numbers on it, only the Delco - Remy USA stamped on it. I don't stamp units, but maybe some day I will sell to someone who wants to make one of the unobtainable starters themselves. My starter alternator generator repair shop was located 2 buildings away from the company that made some of the stamps sourced for OE stamping. They may still make the stamps, but I'm not sure.

The Following User Says Thank You to stellar For This Useful Post:
Old 12-06-2021, 05:52 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Thanks to all who responded. I went ahead and bought the starter.

1968 GTO (Thanks Mom)
2006 Silverado
2007 Cadillac SRX
2015 Chevy Express

Old 12-06-2021, 07:20 PM
Ultimate Warrior

It looks like you got a very good deal on that starter.

The Following User Says Thank You to stellar For This Useful Post:
Old 12-11-2021, 01:13 PM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by stellar View Post
Looks real to me and I have seen thousands of stamps. I have seen different fonts on a lot of starters and alternators so it isn't all that unusual. Not only have I seen different fonts, but also double stamps, and on some the stamping depth is not always uniform, meaning some letters or numbers are light and some are deep.I also have an OE delco starter case with no numbers on it, only the Delco - Remy USA stamped on it. I don't stamp units, but maybe some day I will sell to someone who wants to make one of the unobtainable starters themselves. My starter alternator generator repair shop was located 2 buildings away from the company that made some of the stamps sourced for OE stamping. They may still make the stamps, but I'm not sure.
I don't mind if people restamp their own equipment. However, there is a large segment out there that does this and sells the equipment as original. There is the problem. Today it is so hard to tell what is original and what is a fake...

Old 12-15-2021, 08:58 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Just rebuilt 4 Hi-TQ Delco starters

2-cases have same stamping # 1109 - 065, yet one is stamped Made in Canada, the other Delco-Remy USA

other 2- case have no stamped information at all.

All 4 had/have the same internal rotor diameter, windings, and field windings.

Old 12-15-2021, 10:30 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Who cares about the f... starter. Once installed you cant tell a hoot what the unit is or says. Out of all the best of shows NO one looks and or trys to look at the starter. Spend you time and money else where.
Just my 2 cents

The Following User Says Thank You to Brewster For This Useful Post: