Old 12-25-2021, 11:56 PM

Default Engine stand wiring diagram

My '66 389 is in the car ('64 GTO) but all wire harnesses have been removed for replacement. I would like to start the points distributor engine for a short test run. I figure the basic wiring used on an engine stand should work. Do I need the resistance wire to save the points?
Does anyone have such a diagram? If not, I have a mech/elect past so I can figure it out. Am I making this too difficult?

Old 12-26-2021, 03:55 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I wired in a switch to add in a resistor after the engine was started ... basic engine stand wiring with an extra toggle that said "start" and "run" . Forget the specs, but it was a high wattage 3 ohm ... something like that, maybe 1.7 ohm?

Old 12-26-2021, 04:19 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I used a Mopar ballast resistor. They are cheap and most parts stores have them. You don't need a full 12 volts to start your engine If you are inside or in a warm climate. You don't need a switch if you use an alligator clip on either the coil positive or battery end.

Old 12-26-2021, 07:17 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Yep, I think that's what I used ... one of those long rectangular Mopar resistors.

To be honest, like Goatracer says .... I usually don't even use the switch, just leave in the "run" position all the time.