Old 12-15-2021, 03:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by geeteeohguy View Post
I have seen raised casting numbers forged on Corvettes since the 1980's. Welding and grinding, even JB weld. The Chevy guys think re-stamping and numbers swapping is kosher. I think it's deceptive and criminal, but what do I know. I know Pontiac guys (real ones) would never do it. In my personal case, I have a WT code replacement block in my '65 GTO and would not want or need a WS code block ever, since I have the original protect-o-plate which shows the original E.U.N, which would not match the original, blown up WS motor without a re-stamp. I think Bart is right on with the $1500 price tag. I have built up '66 vintage 389's .060" over and have used std. 400 pistons with 068 cams with zero issues. If I built a 389 today, it would get custom dished slugs.
I'm the same way with my 65. I seriously doubt my car had the original engine when I bought it in 1980, and the currently restored car has a mid-66 block in it now. I know it is not correct because the EUN on my protect-o-plate puts the engine in the late june/early july approx range of 1965, and my invoice date was May 25 65.

So, having all the documentation I have proves that my engine is not correct or original, and I certainly don't plan to try to change/restamp anything. Lots of folks blew their engines up!

Old 12-27-2021, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1oldgoat View Post
I have a May 66 dated WS bare block that I am considering selling. I have had it for a long time but don't have a use for it. I believe it is .030 over now. It has been in dry storage for many years and has a light coat of surface rust but no scaly rust. What is it worth? I don't want to give it away but I do want to be reasonable on price to help out someone who needs it for an original Tri-power GTO. Thanks.
Having just found out that my 66 project convertible is a factory 4 speed, tri-power car with a June 1st 1966 order date, I can say that it would be really cool to have an original, date correct WS motor back in the car. However, distance and price would be cost prohibitive in this situation. I hope you get the motor to a great home.