Old 12-30-2021, 06:18 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Default 70 GTO convertible quarter panel replacement - what will work?

Folks,

A while back I asked about using repop quarters on a 70 coupe and I was surprised to see mostly positive responses. Now the question is what will work on a 70 convertible? In this case, the quarter panel only had minor rot in back of the drivers side tire at the bottom corner (easily patched). The bigger issue is that it got banged in at the horizontal mid-body line starting right above the wheel opening, going all the way to the bumper. It was pulled out to be about 1/4" off of the correct line and poorly bondo loaded. Not impossible to repair with the original quarter, but a whole lot of work to get it to look the way it should as it has been drilled all over and pulled with an old fashioned screw type dent puller.

The good news is that the damage does not go all the way to the top of the quarter. It stops about 6" below the top body line and goes to about 6" below the mid-body line.

Has anyone had success fixing this with a skin or other type of repop quarter? Again, it's a convert. For the record, I grafted a pair of used OEM coupe quarters on a 68 Firebird convertible and leaded them in. You would never know they aren't the originals without really close inspection in the trunk.

Took lots of work and not much fun. The GTO looks much harder to do this on.

Old Joe

Old 01-01-2022, 11:39 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

The body shop used hard top skins on my 70 convertible. It was a pain and took a lot of time to work but they look good now.

Old 01-02-2022, 10:51 AM

I used the partial skins on my 71 Lemans, and I wouldn’t recommend them at all. I’ve read that the full quarters are better. In hindsight, I wish I would have tried harder to save/repair the original quarter.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk