Old 01-06-2022, 03:46 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Although it is a detour from the original discussion, I want to reply for 'Nacho;

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramairnacho View Post
... These are mine.

/\That is a 1972 non-T/A dash insert.
That is from a car with optional gauges and A/C;
That's especially nice (condition aside) because it includes the matching woodgrain heater control cover, and the rear defog plate!

/\That is a 1970 non-T/A dash insert.
That is also from a car with optional gauges and A/C;
Is that a digital clock surround attached to the lower right corner?
It looks like light is shining through where the lens would be, and the rear defog & cigarette lighter part shown appear to not have the woodgrain plate where the defog switch would be.

/\This one is a little harder to tell;
It looks like going from top to bottom that shows:
1971 (no-optional gauges with A/C, and no rear defog or power door loacks)
1970 (no-optional gauges with A/C, and this would be from a car with either or both a rear defog or power door locks)
1973/74 (with optional gauges and A/C, and this would be from a car with either or both a rear defog or power door locks)

Fading can affect the colour or appearance of these but as a rule of thumb, 1972 is the darkest and has more distinct grain pattern;
The 1970 at a glance has the brighter colouring than 1971.
I have found that for the first three years, 1971 dash inserts are the most common to come across.

Although it was mentioned you can use furniture polish, I don't know what that would do;
These have a heavy clear coat on them, but as best as I can tell these are a vinyl overlay of sorts;
I believe that furniture polish is intended for wood surfaces - but maybe I'm wrong.

My Formula's original dash insert has the clear peeling, and it started around the wiper switch and spread out from there...

If anyone knows how these were made (meaning the vinyl overlay or something else) I am all ears.

As to the comment about bird location;

Shouldn't both of those T/A dash inserts be from 1970 model year cars?
I though that discussion here had the bird moving from roughly above the cigarette lighter, to the upper right corner during the 1970 model year?
(both of those inserts have the bird above the lighter)

Quite likely one of few '70 Muncie three speed Formula 400's left.

1991 Grand Am: 14.4 @ 93.7mph (DA corrected) (retired DD, stock appearing)
2009 Cobalt SS: 13.9 @ 103mph (current DD; makes something north of 300hp & 350ft/lbs)

Last edited by unruhjonny; 01-06-2022 at 03:52 PM.
Old 01-06-2022, 05:18 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Default Peeling

Quote:
Originally Posted by unruhjonny View Post
Although it is a detour from the original discussion, I want to reply for 'Nacho;

/\That is a 1972 non-T/A dash insert.
That is from a car with optional gauges and A/C;
That's especially nice (condition aside) because it includes the matching woodgrain heater control cover, and the rear defog plate!

/\That is a 1970 non-T/A dash insert.
That is also from a car with optional gauges and A/C;
Is that a digital clock surround attached to the lower right corner?
It looks like light is shining through where the lens would be, and the rear defog & cigarette lighter part shown appear to not have the woodgrain plate where the defog switch would be.

/\This one is a little harder to tell;
It looks like going from top to bottom that shows:
1971 (no-optional gauges with A/C, and no rear defog or power door loacks)
1970 (no-optional gauges with A/C, and this would be from a car with either or both a rear defog or power door locks)
1973/74 (with optional gauges and A/C, and this would be from a car with either or both a rear defog or power door locks)

Fading can affect the colour or appearance of these but as a rule of thumb, 1972 is the darkest and has more distinct grain pattern;
The 1970 at a glance has the brighter colouring than 1971.
I have found that for the first three years, 1971 dash inserts are the most common to come across.

Although it was mentioned you can use furniture polish, I don't know what that would do;
These have a heavy clear coat on them, but as best as I can tell these are a vinyl overlay of sorts;
I believe that furniture polish is intended for wood surfaces - but maybe I'm wrong.

My Formula's original dash insert has the clear peeling, and it started around the wiper switch and spread out from there...

If anyone knows how these were made (meaning the vinyl overlay or something else) I am all ears.

As to the comment about bird location;

Shouldn't both of those T/A dash inserts be from 1970 model year cars?
I though that discussion here had the bird moving from roughly above the cigarette lighter, to the upper right corner during the 1970 model year?
(both of those inserts have the bird above the lighter)
I am.not 100% sure but what I read the peeling is a clear coat. I think paint thinner was used to remove the clear in an easier post on this thread and a new foam allied lacquer coat was applied over the whole bezel. I would look for an old damaged one and practice on that first since you don't want to ruin your good one or have Randy restore years I'm not sure the price. Thank you for ID in my bezels my car 70 but I'm adding rally gauges