Old 01-08-2022, 09:51 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Default Starter stamp

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1971455HO View Post
Let me start by telling you that I, myself, am an amateur. What I have learned is based by comments and pics that others on this forum have shared with beginners like me. I'm going to attempt to help you learn how to recognize a poorly re-stamped starter or even a re-stamped alternator. These are round (as in cylindrical) shaped parts. GM developed roll type stamping devices to stamp these parts. It is extremely difficult to repeat this operation by hand with singular letter and number stamps and it not be totally apparent, even to an amateur. Once you know what to look for!

First GM used what is called gang stamping. That kept each number or letter perfectly inline and at the precise angle it should be. They used specific style & size fonts on certain parts. The experts here on this forum know them and can quickly identify a forged or re stamped part. Just for the record, study how straight the stamping is, or if the font changes, or if the spacing fluctuates at any given point on the part you are examining. Also GM gang style stamping usually resulted in all of the information starting and ending in the exact amount of space on the top and bottom line. I recommend you just go on eBay and look at what guys that are asking big prices for rare parts are selling. Lots of them are so obvious that they have been modified.

However, some part re-builders have finally come clean and admitted that as part of their product services, they will custom build and re-stamp a specific part & date code to your needs. This keeps them in the clear of not misrepresenting their services. I've saw them, while their products look god and operate as they should, their re-stamping is way different from the OEM.

If you dads original RA III engine is missing, I would not even worry about correct part or date codes. Build it with the best parts you can get and enjoy the car. Plenty of guys here to help you with any questions you might have. Good Luck to you.
Thanks for the input 👍

Old 01-08-2022, 09:56 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Default Stamp

Quote:
Originally Posted by OG68 View Post
Ehh, not quite as far as the starters are concerned. I bought a date correct starter off Ebay and my first thought was that it was a re-stamp. I asked the same question on the forum here and found out that the part numbers can be different sized.

https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com...d.php?t=855063

But as a few people have pointed out, if you don't have a numbers matching original engine, it doesn't really matter.
Yes I see those letter are way off. Thanks. I do own a restamped carb and a real one. The main difference is the air horn and spread but I'm clue less in an original vs restamp. From what I read the 1108435 and 1108436 was the hardened case on the silinoid and if the silinoid is no longer made and it isn't they all the fricken same a Hi-torque starter.