Old 01-10-2022, 07:44 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Default No-ox or dielectric grease

Wondering what is the best product to use on main harness connectors like at the firewall.

I see the advantages of dielectric grease to seal against moisture and provide electrical insulation ... but in general I'm not looking to put anything on those contacts that might prevent good contact.

On breaker panel buses and household AC wiring I've always used a Deoxidizing grease like Ideal Noalox even on copper to copper lugs.

There are electrically conductive contact greases like No-ox-ID which is designed to prevent oxidation and improve conductivity.

Reason I ask is after spending a lot of time removing and cleaning every blade and socket on an sections of original harness I plan on using, I'd like to protect them from the oxidation and problems that typically lead to overheating, arcing ... all the stuff that makes this marginal wiring (even when new) a source of problems down the road.

Old 01-10-2022, 08:07 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I have been using Grote terminal grease on everything as I reassemble. It is the stuff you put on trailer plugs and bulb contacts to reduce corrosion.

I have used No-ox-ID (the version in the small round tins) on battery plant straps and posts when I was in telecom and that stuff is good but too stiff/thick for this application IMO.

The Grote stuff is a clear amber and very thin, comes out of the tube somewhat like Lubriplate.

Oshawa built 1 option Judge basket case. 463, SD KRE 295's, CNC'd factory intake, Cliff's Qjet, Stump Puller HR cam, RARE RA manifolds, Pypes exhaust, T56 Magnum, McLeod RXT clutch, 3.42 12 bolt. 24 year project almost done...
The Following User Says Thank You to mrennie For This Useful Post:
Old 01-10-2022, 08:09 AM

Deoxit from Caig Laboratories is pretty good stuff. They sell a variety of products including greases and sprays, there's a selection guide on their website. https://caig.com

Assuming you're talking about a collector car, something to consider is it's not likely to be exposed to harsh conditions (like road salt and slush) anymore. Once the contacts have been cleaned they'll probably stay that way for a long time and really won't need to be treated with anything in particular. I like using a pencil eraser to rub contacts clean, they're soft enough so they won't scratch up the plating on the contacts.

The Following User Says Thank You to Stuart For This Useful Post:
Old 01-10-2022, 01:36 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I've got three Deoxit products in the shop now that I use for electronics cleaning and cleaning relay contacts.

I'll check out the Grote, looks like some of these products are a grease combined with a deoxidizer.

True ... the car will probably never see the rain. The engine and AC harness will be new, they are the most often melted and damaged.

Old 01-10-2022, 04:19 PM

Well you definitely do NOT want to use a conductive grease on multi-terminal connectors unless you want to increase the chances of a short and/or blown fuse and/or fire. Buy a jar of silicone grease/paste. That's what dielectric grease is mostly made of. You can use it not only on electrical connectors, but as a lubricant for almost anything. It is not petroleum based so it will not degrade rubber or plastics. Put a light coat on your weather strips every year and they'll stay soft forever.