Old 01-08-2022, 10:30 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Default Cut out vents

My dad's original 1970 formula ram air hood got stolen many years ago. It took me 10 years to find 1 but it's not a 70 it's a 1970-75 and actually it was owner of Grace's Auto body in South San Francisco. The snorkels are cut open but don't have the inner lip. Sine I never really paid attention to detail like that when I owned it I don't remember if it even had a lip. I know Ames sells the vents but how are they mounted. I'm hesitant to screw into the hood. Can any one guild me through this and would like to buy a real ram air hood so if someone see one let me know. I took the pics of the snorkel opening.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20220108_181837.jpg
Views:	135
Size:	72.9 KB
ID:	581631   Click image for larger version

Name:	20220108_181901.jpg
Views:	128
Size:	76.4 KB
ID:	581632  

Old 01-09-2022, 10:35 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Gregg has had this part made before, ask him. Its a ridge to keep small amounts of rain out and a stopper for the screen to rest against.

Old 01-11-2022, 03:44 AM
Ultimate Warrior

In those pics, that doesn't look like a factory ram air hood. I don't see the lip that should go all around the opening(s).

Old 01-11-2022, 05:11 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Transamric View Post
In those pics, that doesn't look like a factory ram air hood. I don't see the lip that should go all around the opening(s).
Thats true, and he knows this. there a easy remedy as a member has had some rings made to fit there and look 100Z% original.

Old 01-11-2022, 10:46 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Default Formula hood rings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Formulabruce View Post
Thats true, and he knows this. there a easy remedy as a member has had some rings made to fit there and look 100Z% original.
I will ask him

Old 01-11-2022, 11:46 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I'd like to speak mostly to try to set things correct for 'nacho;
(Have I ever said that your user name amuses me? - I think it's great!)

Anyway there is no such thing as a "Ram Air (Formula) hood" versus a "non-Ram-Air hood";
They were all made exactly the same;
The lip on the inside of the scoops was there because it was remnant of the way the scoop was cast closed - and then opened at the factory.
Often people who cut non-functional hood scoops open, took more care than the factory did in cleaning up the opening.
Frankly I wouldn't sweat this.

As to the comment of a lack of an inner lip being there for the screen to rest against, and to keep rain out;
The underside of the hood has a gap opening, and if you look closely, there are two spots on each side where the fibreglass is cast thicker to accomidate the screws which hold the RA screens in place;
Also there is a vertical face (I can see it in the second image) that helps to prevent bugs, rain, or other particulate from making it to the air cleaner - I have seen bug splatter and the like there in my hood.

The only difference between 70/71 hoods and the 72-75 hoods is the absence of extra bracing on the underside of the hood.
I would suggest that the biggest points of concern on these hoods are:
1) breaks in the rear cowl venting.
2) damage to the rear corners of the hood.

Picture added for fun;
Left to right:
(original; very damaged) '70 hood / 72-75; hood scoops still closed off / 70/71; hood scoops open
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1703s.jpg
Views:	247
Size:	55.4 KB
ID:	581730  

Quite likely one of few '70 Muncie three speed Formula 400's left.

1991 Grand Am: 14.4 @ 93.7mph (DA corrected) (retired DD, stock appearing)
2009 Cobalt SS: 13.9 @ 103mph (current DD; makes something north of 300hp & 350ft/lbs)
Old 01-11-2022, 03:28 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Default Ram air hood

Quote:
Originally Posted by unruhjonny View Post
I'd like to speak mostly to try to set things correct for 'nacho;
(Have I ever said that your user name amuses me? - I think it's great!)

Anyway there is no such thing as a "Ram Air (Formula) hood" versus a "non-Ram-Air hood";
They were all made exactly the same;
The lip on the inside of the scoops was there because it was remnant of the way the scoop was cast closed - and then opened at the factory.
Often people who cut non-functional hood scoops open, took more care than the factory did in cleaning up the opening.
Frankly I wouldn't sweat this.

As to the comment of a lack of an inner lip being there for the screen to rest against, and to keep rain out;
The underside of the hood has a gap opening, and if you look closely, there are two spots on each side where the fibreglass is cast thicker to accomidate the screws which hold the RA screens in place;
Also there is a vertical face (I can see it in the second image) that helps to prevent bugs, rain, or other particulate from making it to the air cleaner - I have seen bug splatter and the like there in my hood.

The only difference between 70/71 hoods and the 72-75 hoods is the absence of extra bracing on the underside of the hood.
I would suggest that the biggest points of concern on these hoods are:
1) breaks in the rear cowl venting.
2) damage to the rear corners of the hood.

Picture added for fun;
Left to right:
(original; very damaged) '70 hood / 72-75; hood scoops still closed off / 70/71; hood scoops open
My original hood had factory open snorkels and is a ram air hood. I realize the standard hood looks the same other than the snorkle openings being blocked off. With that in mind I am looking for a factory open one.Thank you for showing your collection

Old 01-11-2022, 06:26 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramairnacho View Post
My original hood had factory open snorkels and is a ram air hood. I realize the standard hood looks the same other than the snorkle openings being blocked off. ..
And just for clarity (I'm nit-picking the bold part of your quote);
They are all manufactured with the scoops sealed off.

The '70 RAIII & '72 455HO (both came with a function hood as a part of the engine option), as well as '71 455HO & '73/'74 Formula 400 & 455's with the 'hood inlet' option were cut open at the factory.

So before your car's original hood was associated with your car's order, it was closed - only at some point during production the scoops cut open at the factory to accomidate the RPO 'L74' engine (and associated included parts).

I bought the parts for my car's original hood off of rusty a '74 Formula 455 with the hood inlet option;
I say that so that you know that my car has factory parts;
My car was purchased in 1995 with the RA aircleaner in place, along with (I am having a fuzzy moment, it was either one or) two home-made boot retainers attached to the underside of the hood.

Quite likely one of few '70 Muncie three speed Formula 400's left.

1991 Grand Am: 14.4 @ 93.7mph (DA corrected) (retired DD, stock appearing)
2009 Cobalt SS: 13.9 @ 103mph (current DD; makes something north of 300hp & 350ft/lbs)
The Following User Says Thank You to unruhjonny For This Useful Post: