Old 01-15-2022, 08:45 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Default 68 GTO Hideaway headlight repop kits any good?

What is the best route to do a non-hideaway to hideaway headlight conversion these days on a 68 GTO? Long ago I had an original GM setup so I'm familiar with the pieces that go into it. Just wondering if the repop stuff is any good or the best route is still to restore an original setup.

Thanks
Old Joe

Old 01-15-2022, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtobird View Post
What is the best route to do a non-hideaway to hideaway headlight conversion these days on a 68 GTO? Long ago I had an original GM setup so I'm familiar with the pieces that go into it. Just wondering if the repop stuff is any good or the best route is still to restore an original setup.

Thanks
Old Joe

Mine originally did not have hideaway lights and back in the 80’s I bought a junk GTO for parts that had the hideaway lights. I stripped all the hideaway parts out and transferred them to my GTO. I’m sure you know to get a new vacuum harness and reservoir and a hideaway light switch. Also I would get new seals for the vacuum actuators and the kit that has all the spacers and retaining clips. If you have the time and patience that’s what I did. The conversion kits cost big $.

Carousel72TRed

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Old 01-16-2022, 01:09 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Get the electric conversion kit

Old 01-17-2022, 10:16 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I've mulled over the electric conversion kit, but the car won't be driven all that much and I'm already familiar with the issues of the original vacuum setups. Since I once had an original setup and took to restoring it, I know that they usually aren't in great working condition to begin with and by the time you restore them, the total cost to buy the setup and then restore it isn't that much cheaper than the repop setup. In fact, might even be more if parts are needed. So, the real question is how good the repop vacuum setups are. Do they fit, install, work and look like the originals, or are there shortcomings? Same questions that always seem to come with repop parts. I'm starting with no parts to do the conversion, so I'd have to buy everything.

The Following User Says Thank You to gtobird For This Useful Post:
Old 01-17-2022, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtobird View Post
I've mulled over the electric conversion kit, but the car won't be driven all that much and I'm already familiar with the issues of the original vacuum setups. Since I once had an original setup and took to restoring it, I know that they usually aren't in great working condition to begin with and by the time you restore them, the total cost to buy the setup and then restore it isn't that much cheaper than the repop setup. In fact, might even be more if parts are needed. So, the real question is how good the repop vacuum setups are. Do they fit, install, work and look like the originals, or are there shortcomings? Same questions that always seem to come with repop parts. I'm starting with no parts to do the conversion, so I'd have to buy everything.

Yes I agree with Sidponcho. I thought you still had all the old hideaway light parts from your car of long ago. If you are starting from scratch no doubt the electric conversion kit is the way to go.

Old 01-17-2022, 11:17 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carousel72TRed View Post
Yes I agree with Sidponcho. I thought you still had all the old hideaway light parts from your car of long ago. If you are starting from scratch no doubt the electric conversion kit is the way to go.
I greatly appreciate your input. Food for thought...........

I'm convinced the electric setup is the way to go mechanically. Looks more reliable and looks like it's a good unit to install, but I have no parts to do the conversion. I can buy a repop vacuum setup for $1349 which includes the buckets, headlight grille covers, actuators and everything I need. Alternatively, I can buy a used vacuum setup and restore it, which will probably cost about the same (plus or minus) by the time all is said and done.

The electric conversion kits are $1100 just for the electric actuator conversion kit. I would still need to buy buckets and headlight grille covers. That would cost me another $800 or so if I use repop parts. The vacuum setup is $1349 vs
roughly $1900 for the electric when you include everything needed. It's true that if I could find used buckets and grilles on the cheap, then the electric setup would go down in price. That said, if I could find used buckets and grilles on the cheap for the electric setup, I could also just use those on a vacuum setup and it would also then have a lower price.

Again, I'll go back to my original question. Are the repop vacuum setups good or not? If someone on the list has used on of those kits, I'd like to hear from them. Thanks

Old 02-06-2022, 02:57 PM
Senior Chief

Not against the electric conversion, but my vacuum operated Hideaway system works just fine. Yes, it has required new seals and a vacuum check valve from time to time, but I still prefer it to the electric systems.
If you are starting from scratch and cannot find a donor car with the major components, you may need to get the conversion kit. Looks very high in cost, but is there anything we need for our GTOs that does not cost big bucks?

The Following User Says Thank You to Red Box Rebel For This Useful Post:
Old 02-08-2022, 11:10 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Opinion: having owned both Hide-A-Way and non, the vacuum system can play well if you maintain:

Check the Coffee can for rupture.
Replace the upper boot on each Canister/rods.
Adjust open and close extents. Some folks have use a fuel-line hose for soft stop (not sure if good).

Advice: if you convert to electric, which appears nice, wise, and precise, do keep all the parts related to the vacuum for future value due to completeness. Cleaning such old parts will reveal a decent condition, except them upper boots!

My 68 GTO is non-Hide-A-Way because of the frustrations with the plastic lamp grills degradations, whereas the Pot-Metal on the staring lamps is rugged, and well-styled.

This leads to a pleasing view for (me) seeing 68-69s with well maintained Hide-A-Ways. And also enjoying my rugged un-fettered front assembly.