Old 07-12-2008, 10:20 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Just freshening up this post. Someone asked me this week if I knew the paint codes for the TATA. I don't, but I know several folks here have been restoring some TATA's, so I wanted to ask if they have researched the correct codes for the Platinum and Charcoal colors, and if any cars have been shot recently, how did the codes turn out compared to original colors?

Old 08-05-2008, 08:06 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Ok has this one been covered?
I think they're nuts with 41k for this with a cut up consol and a rusty dirty engine compartment.
Just curious what you guys think it's worth;
http://www.volocars.com/1979-pontiac...-am--c-247.htm

1968 442-gone but not forgotten
"Oh,you can think about it,.....but don't do it!"
Sheriff Bufford T.Justice
Old 08-06-2008, 08:04 AM
Ultimate Warrior

With NADA high retail in the 50K range, not surprised at all.
With the milage on this one, a console and detail job, would make it about as good as it gets.

Old 08-06-2008, 09:19 AM
Ultimate Warrior

When I first bought my TA/TA with 41K miles on it, I questioned the milage of the car because of the engine bay. But now, after all of the un-touched engine compartment pictures I have seen on "low mile" cars. I am thinking mine looks as it should for never having been touched & 41K miles. My underhood is easily as clean as this car, maybe cleaner with three times the miles. Still hard to believe these cars will ever reach those crazy NADA numbers. But it sure puts a lot of hope into the minds of the sellers.

68RT

68 GTO 4-spd Convertible
78 S/E Trans am L78, WS6 Auto
78 S/E Trans am W72, WS6 Auto
79 10th aniv W72 Trans am
80 Indy pace car Trans am
89 Trans am GTA
Old 08-11-2008, 07:58 PM
Ultimate Warrior

The car at the Volo museum has a very original, untouched engine compartment. A sure sign is the 3 tape bands (red, white, blue) that hold the vacuum lines together on the passenger side near the carb. You can also see the part no. sticker on the gold cad plated vacuum pot on the pass. side carb just under the air cleaner assembly. One trip to the power wash, and those are gone.

These cars are priced pretty much by the number of miles, how much original paint is remaining, the condition of the paint and how unmolested the engine compartment is. This is primarily because there are so many TATA's that were preserved, and kept as collectors from new. Most of the low mileage cars don't have issues with rust, crash repair, heavy restorations etc. Generally, what you see is exactly how it was since new, with blemishes and 30 years of age showing. This is very different than a restored car.

As Quicksilver said, the console and radio can be fixed easily, however, the radios in these cars is one off, and fairly hard to find.

In my opinion, it's priced right for the condition. And NADA is spot on with their assessment of value.

Last edited by 165th; 08-11-2008 at 08:05 PM.
Old 08-12-2008, 12:15 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Ah a 10th with no issues, that would be nice.. Mine has entire volumes of issues...

Old 08-12-2008, 02:18 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by 165th View Post
The car at the Volo museum has a very original, untouched engine compartment. A sure sign is the 3 tape bands (red, white, blue) that hold the vacuum lines together on the passenger side near the carb. You can also see the part no. sticker on the gold cad plated vacuum pot on the pass. side carb just under the air cleaner assembly. One trip to the power wash, and those are gone.

These cars are priced pretty much by the number of miles, how much original paint is remaining, the condition of the paint and how unmolested the engine compartment is. This is primarily because there are so many TATA's that were preserved, and kept as collectors from new. Most of the low mileage cars don't have issues with rust, crash repair, heavy restorations etc. Generally, what you see is exactly how it was since new, with blemishes and 30 years of age showing. This is very different than a restored car.

As Quicksilver said, the console and radio can be fixed easily, however, the radios in these cars is one off, and fairly hard to find.

In my opinion, it's priced right for the condition. And NADA is spot on with their assessment of value.

Is the band that hold the vacuum lines you speak of on this TATA the same on this photo?
This is my car.

Old 08-12-2008, 04:40 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Just freshening up this post. Someone asked me this week if I knew the paint codes for the TATA. I don't, but I know several folks here have been restoring some TATA's, so I wanted to ask if they have researched the correct codes for the Platinum and Charcoal colors, and if any cars have been shot recently, how did the codes turn out compared to original colors?

There are two different colors for code 15 which is the silver, go with the "popular silver"
Code 16 is the charcoal and its dead on
Atleast with dupont

Last edited by formula400; 08-12-2008 at 04:53 PM.
Old 08-12-2008, 09:32 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Fatherandson, yes, those are the tape bands I was speaking of. There should be a red, white and blue one. I see your yellow inspection mark on the face of the block is also still very visible!

Also, there is a paper sticker on the face of your passenger valve cover, behind the A/C bracket. Can you tell what that decal reads? Mine has the paper remaining but is not legible.

Formula400, the paint job looks fantastic. Congratulations on the restoration, and thanks for posting updated pictures and the information on the colors. I've since given the individual looking for the colors a link to this thread, so I'll let him know you've posted this information!

What brand stripe/bird package did you use?

Old 08-13-2008, 05:11 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Thumbs up

Thanks 165th,but no from what I remember I can't read it,cars not here.
I may see it Thursday and let you know.
I've only had this car for about two years and am still learning.

Old 08-13-2008, 10:20 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

165th -
Thanks for the compliments......

I used the phoenix graphix kit, its OK i did not want to stick to well. I'm not sure on how old the kit was, i had a problem with the bird, think of tin foil once that crease is there damn near impossible to remove. So they are sending another for replacement, i tried to remove the crease and the stupid thing ripped

They said they could have sent one for free and i should of inspected the decal before placement, if anyone has done a bird, how in the HELL do you check them with the paper on them, you can't. its a chance until you lay it down and start to spread it, you would think that they would understand this since they make them.

Still waiting on a carpet to button this car up, Trim parts sent one and the fit was horrible so i am working with them to try and resolve this issue so you guys get a nice piece.

Old 08-13-2008, 01:10 PM
Senior Chief

I had bad luck with them as well.
Bought a blue decal set for my Noturne Blue '79 Trans Am convertible.
They used silver instead of gold (who knows now?) in all their set for the blue, and when pulling off the backing to stick it on, some of the paper wouldn't come off.
Ended up leaving a part of paper underneath the decal (you can see it, if you look carefully).
I was afraid to use their hood decal on another car, and ended up buying a NOS GM hood bird (for a 1974 Trans Am).
No problems with that one, even though you hear everyone saying don't use NOS GM.
Funny thing, PG will sell you GM NOS stuff.
If it's so bad, why?
Now, I do have NOS GM 10th Anniversary Trans Am decals.........................................
BTW, that paint looks sharp!

George

Old 08-19-2008, 04:47 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Ok,I'm no TATA expert,but I looked at the one at Volo with 12k miles over the weekend,let me tell you,just from my experience in general with TA's this by far NO $41K TATA!
1)Rear bumper touched up badly with old paint not even sanded underneath.
2)Rubber on drivers side door sweep messed up.
3)seats look pretty worn for a 12k mile car.
4)undercarriage looked filthy to me for a 12k mile car and paper tags barely there or legible.
5)Turbo rims pitted badly and filthy
For a car that spent 8 yrs "supposidly" in a bubble,it must have spent 21 yrs in a fairly somewhat neglected enviornment........my opinion.
...I'd say low to mid 20's.......just because of mileage if correct...

Now,with that rant done,cause I wasted my time looking at this car,anybody know of this.........."12" mile TATA?
I usually find out about TA's of this stature in my area,I don't know of this sweetheart...
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Ponti...QQcmdZViewItem

Old 08-19-2008, 07:13 AM
Ultimate Warrior

If that is "the" 12-mile TATA, it's been written up in some of the car rags before. I saw that auction, too, but didn't see any mention of such documentation.

Old 08-20-2008, 08:33 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Fatherandson, did you take any pictures of the Volo TATA? It would be interesting to see some of the details your pointing out, compared to the pictures on the Volo website. It looks much better in those tiny pictures, ha! I always wonder why dealerships don't post bigger, high resolution pictures. Hmmm...

Last edited by 165th; 08-20-2008 at 08:43 PM.
Old 08-20-2008, 09:40 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Fatherandson, did you take any pictures of the Volo TATA? It would be interesting to see some of the details your pointing out, compared to the pictures on the Volo website. It looks much better in those tiny pictures, ha! I always wonder why dealerships don't post bigger, high resolution pictures. Hmmm...
......no sorry,I only went to look for myself if it was worth trading/selling my 79 W72 for........no way...

Old 08-25-2008, 10:22 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Default Finished pictures

Well its done.....

Old 08-25-2008, 10:24 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Onto the next one that we have...

Old 08-25-2008, 06:38 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Formula400, that's awesome. Great job and thanks for posting finished pictures and pictures along the way.

If it's not too much trouble, would you mind posting a list of vendors and products you used in the restoration. What you liked, and what you didn't like regarding carpet, upholstery, stripe kits, brake booster etc.

The TATA's have fewer sources for restoration products.

Congratulations on completing the project!

Is it for sale now?

Old 08-26-2008, 10:02 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

165th - Thank you !!

This car is not for sale, i did it for a client. I don't have much time to do my own cars, I have a full running resto shop with 5 employees. All the stuff we have going on it would not be fair to be doing my cars while the clients is sitting there.

90% of the stuff was restored that was OE to the car, there wasn't much i had to source for this car.

Here are some items that we were having issues with -

Carpet - the first fit pretty bad, the second was alittle better but sits high around the tunnel and won't sit correctly by the gas peddle. The carpet still is not the correct material....

Welting - i went through a ton of sources as everyones material is alittle different, i was trying to get as close to the original as possible(much wider) the best source i found was The Parts Place it was alot wider getting closer to the OE welting.

Seat covers - Too many wrinkles and what looked like "cutting or slice marks" I got another set and it was much better.

T-top seals - " get hollow seals" metro has updated them. The solid SUCK......

Decals - Bought from PG, the first bird came out all wrinkled up and then ripped as i was trying to remove them, they sent a second one. That too was wrinkled but i got them out. The stripes are HORRIBLE, they are not cut right - very jagged. I just had the car at the T/A nats and the owner of PG was there and i was able to show him the decals, he agreed that something was up and was going to bring it up at thier meeting and get me some new decals to try.

Tom