Old 09-01-2012, 08:51 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtomike72 View Post
I have one nice GTO taillight and a housing, although the housing does need a little repair around where one of the bulb goes. Otherwise pretty good shape. Im not sure which side it is though since I didnt see a "L" or "R"

Nice progress so far! Makes me want to tear into my LeMans!
Sent you a PM.

Thanks

Scott

Old 09-16-2012, 07:14 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Got the 3.90 rear installed. Instead of stock control arms I went with UMI tubular control arms with poly bushings. Still need to install the frame stiffeners.

Still need to get the brakes hooked up and bled and then I'll take it for a test drive.

Sway bar that I picked up ended up being the wrong one.

Machine shop is done on the 455 - bored, honed, crank turned, balanced, decked (pistons .05 in the hole), etc. Got to pick it up this week.

Scott

Old 09-17-2012, 07:08 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by bulletpruf View Post
With shipping it was $665. Ouch! They got me good on shipping because it went to a residential address.

Scott

I picked mine up this weekend, $415.00 + tax, nice looking hoods!

How about some post-paint pictures of the body Scott?

And go racin' in the street.

Bruce Springsteen - Racing In The Street - 1978
Old 09-17-2012, 09:32 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Boss View Post
I picked mine up this weekend, $415.00 + tax, nice looking hoods!

How about some post-paint pictures of the body Scott?
Yep. Bolted it down and it fits nicely. Just need to replace the hood hinges to get it to sit down a bit better in the back.

I'll gladly put some pics up when it's painted, but that could take a while. I've been focusing on the driveline first. Next step is the TH400, then the engine, then paint and body and interior. I should be done by 2015 or so...

Thanks,

Scott

Old 10-23-2012, 10:02 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Got the short block back from the machine shop - nice looking stuff! Stock crank, Tomahawk rods, BRC forged flat tops, .030, balanced, zero deck.

Getting some nicely ported 5C heads from a member here.

Cam will be Summit 2802 or maybe Comp XE274.

Taking too long b/c I've been splitting time with this and my '71 Javelin road race project.

Scott

Old 12-09-2012, 01:56 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Talking

Engine build is coming along, slowly but surely - - http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/...d.php?t=700505

Made the mistake of keeping a running total of $ invested - I'm at $14,495.82, and that doesn't include a few items that I haven't added in yet. Oh, yeah, and I still need a new top, complete interior, paint job, rebuild kit for the TH400, converter, exhaust system, etc, etc, etc.

Looking on the bright side, I'll have too much invested in the car to sell it when I'm done!

Old 01-06-2013, 10:32 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Engine is now a complete long block. Need to check pushrod length.

Blasted the hideaway setup. Bumper has been tweaked a bit. Headlight assemblies are mostly complete but will try to find some nicer stuff.

Getting ready to get cranked up for paint and bodywork.

Thanks,

Scott

Old 01-09-2013, 02:36 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by bulletpruf View Post
Still making steady progress.

I welded up the holes in the rear quarters for the Lemans emblems.

I picked up a very nice and complete hideaway setup (better than the one that I had).

Found what I believe to be a correct TH400 floor shifter (not his/hers, just the 69 and later style).

Also sourced a factory rear sway bar and boxed lower control arms.

This weekend I plan to remove the stock rear and install the 3.90 nodular rear with freshly blasted and painted parts.

Scott
I welded up the holes in the rear quarters for the Lemans emblems. I smell CLONE.

Old 01-14-2013, 11:03 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Don't take it apart!

Just clean it up, make it mechanically sound and enjoy it the way it is. Nice find!
I haven't taken it completely apart yet, but came close this weekend! Instead of pulling the engine and trans I ended up disassembling the TH400 (PX code from a 68 GTO). Not too difficult once I found a good youtube video (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TUfQ110scls). Able to do it without any special tools (you do need a 1/4" drive 3/8" 12 point socket and a few C clamps). Anyway, looks like the trans got some water in it at some point, so I need to figure out what's good and what needs to be trashed. Will probably have to find another TH400 core; what's the going rate on a short tailshaft TH400 core? $100?

Still working on valvetrain geometry with the 455 - - the Comp rockers are hitting the retainers at low lift. I either need longer pushrods, different rockers, or both.

Thanks

Scott

Old 01-14-2013, 05:24 PM
Ultimate Warrior

That was post #5 from May 6th!

Now you're rebuilding the trans??? You should have just waited & bought mine.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2012-12-08 13.50.50.jpg
Views:	116
Size:	86.1 KB
ID:	309750  

And go racin' in the street.

Bruce Springsteen - Racing In The Street - 1978
Old 01-14-2013, 05:36 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
That was post #5 from May 6th!

Now you're rebuilding the trans??? You should have just waited & bought mine.
Never try to apply logic to anything I do with my cars!!!

Seriously, I watched your build, and looks like a great car, but building them is a lot more fun than buying one done.

Thanks

Scott

Old 01-14-2013, 09:35 PM
Senior Chief

Default Just a little advise on the tranny rebuild.

Scott, don't reuse any clutches or the bands if they were wet. Water will cause the glue that attatches the clutch material to the steel part of the clutches (or bands) to lose adhesion and the material will come off and you will be tearing it back appart again.

Dennis

69' Judge R/A III 4-speed, Mayfair Maize/black interior.
Old 01-15-2013, 08:06 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by RUFFJUDGE View Post
Scott, don't reuse any clutches or the bands if they were wet. Water will cause the glue that attatches the clutch material to the steel part of the clutches (or bands) to lose adhesion and the material will come off and you will be tearing it back appart again.

Dennis
Dennis -

Don't plan to. Supposed to pick up another core today. Will do a complete rebuild.

Thanks,

Scott

Old 01-22-2013, 11:36 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Pushrods are on the way from Comp Cams; once these arrive I should be able to finish up the engine. Just need valve covers; will probably run the thicker gaskets just in case. Anyone have recommendations on repop original type chrome valve covers?

Picked up some Hirsch paint for the engine; not cheap, but seems to be good stuff.

Picked up another core trans last night from a PY member in Tennessee. Also got a straight 69 endura (fixed headlight), but no brackets, headlights, grilles, etc. I know the brackets are repopped; is everything else reproduced as well or will I have to source any OEM parts for it?

Also got another TH400 core, so I should be set on TH400 internals.

BTW, the PY member had two gorgeous Tiger Gold 4 speed tripower GTO's in the garage - one with Hurst wheels. Very nice! And a 69 RAIII Judge 'vert, too! Carousel/white/white with auto on the floor.

Scott

Old 02-10-2013, 11:19 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Very nice I would leave as is and enjoy it,colors look good on it

Old 03-05-2013, 10:54 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Things continue to progress here. I have three TH400's completely disassembled in the garage. Will build two of them; one for this car, one to sell. Cases have been cleaned; will paint them with "Cast Blast" and start the re-assembly.

455 is getting close - - intake is on, just finishing up a few details.

Have three 68/69 endura noses in the garage - one tweaked where it looks like someone hooked a chain to it to pull someone out of a ditch. Another one is very straight (although somewhat weathered), but someone sliced/ground a bit of material away from the inner surface on the top inside of the bumper. Not going to be noticeable, but still bugs me. Ended up picking up another nose this weekend - it's straight and all there. It has seen better days, but I think I will end up using it.

I test fit one of the endura's on the Lemans this weekend. Car looks 100% better. I really am not a big fan of the chrome bumper, although the 68 looks much better than the 69, imo.

Anyway, once the drivetrain is done, I plan to remove the front cap, pull the 350/2 sp auto, clean frame, front suspension and firewall, paint firewall, and then install the 455/TH400. I will need a new core support, but those aren't terribly expensive. Hope I don't need inner fenders as well.

Thanks

Scott

Old 04-09-2013, 09:47 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Ordered a Continental converter from Cliff Ruggles. Should be here this week or next.

Getting close to finishing the TH400 - - I had 3 cores, but I'm using the case and majority of the parts from the 1969 PW trans (from a 69 GP). It had the good aluminum pistons for the direct and forward drums as well as the center support. Going with a 34 element sprag and will dual feed it as well. Automatic valve body from Jake's Performance. Used Borg Warner tan frictions and new steels throughout. Many thanks to Mark/Half Inch Stud for his assistance with the build - it's my first TH400 and I had a million questions.

Ready to get this done so I can reclaim my workbench and garage!

TH400 build was a good excuse for buying some new tools - Lisle Universal Cam Bearing Installer is also great for installing bushings in TH400.

Old 04-09-2013, 11:07 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Interesting. Transmission rebuilding is something that doesn't come up very often here. They've always been a mystery to me.

Old 04-09-2013, 12:41 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I tried to rebuild a TH400 about 15 years ago. I bet I could do it now but it was such a bewildering jigsaw puzzle to me back then.

What size stall did you get? I've been running the Continental 13" for a few years now, but I'm considering switching to the 11".

'95 Comp T/A #6 M6 - bone stock (pics)
Old 04-09-2013, 01:32 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Reid View Post
Interesting. Transmission rebuilding is something that doesn't come up very often here. They've always been a mystery to me.
It is fairly involved, but there are a few videos out there, a manual or two, and online help. Folks in the trans forum at www.yellowbullet.com are pretty sharp.

If you can rebuild an engine, you can rebuild a trans. I think a trans is easier, because there's not as much machining and measuring to do.

Scott