Old 01-17-2022, 01:49 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by roger1 View Post
Those Alpine speakers are capable of high power. Are you going to use an amp with them? If so, are you going with a 2 channel amp or 4 channel to connect the 4X10 too?
My current plan is to run the 6x9s without an auxiliary amp and see how they sound as-is. My stereo is 4x45 watts, so it's got a little more power than a typical head unit, but nothing crazy. If I decide an auxiliary amp is needed, I'll probably just get a 2-channel for the 6x9s and run the front 4x10 on its own.

1966 Pontiac GTO (restoration thread)
1998 BMW 328is (track rat)
2023 Subaru Crosstrek Limited (daily)
View my photos: Caught in the Wild
The Following User Says Thank You to ZeGermanHam For This Useful Post:
Old 01-17-2022, 08:58 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Have you test fit the front speakers yet? If your '70 is the same at the dash as my '69, I think you may have a duct clearance issue like I did. My understanding from talking to Miguel at Classic Car Stereos is that they buy the mount from Custom Auto Sound and they have Custom Auto Sound speakers installed. Then Classic removes those and installs better speakers like the JL Audio you chose and the Kicker that I chose. However, the speaker change can affect the fit in the application Custom Auto Sound designed them for.
Anyhow I hope yours fit OK and you don't have to send them back.
Same question to you too. Are you going with an amp? If so I would think in your case you would go with a 4 channel to power all 4 speakers.
CCS said that using the JL Audio I linked to with AC bracket would clear the ducting. I'll have to check with the shop to see if it has been installed yet and if there were any issues. Hope not...after CCS' affirmation and all the research I did...but you know how that goes.

Same plan as ZeGermanHam...no amp initially, unless needed and probably just to push the 6x9s. Honestly...I imagine listening almost exclusively to the 400.

1970 GTO (Granada Gold) - 400 / TH400
Old 01-18-2022, 12:36 PM

Amazing Job! Looks Great

Old 01-20-2022, 10:24 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Click image for larger version

Name:	2AD14A2E-23E2-4B9D-9DEB-87A3DE44B2FE.jpg
Views:	159
Size:	66.1 KB
ID:	582265

Had to laugh…..so true

Old 01-20-2022, 11:44 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Or this.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	B2C7177C-A405-4BCE-97BD-C837AF486689_1_201_a.jpg
Views:	172
Size:	94.2 KB
ID:	582268  

1968 GTO (Thanks Mom)
2006 Silverado
2007 Cadillac SRX
2015 Chevy Express

Old 01-20-2022, 12:12 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I notice you are using a repro brake booster....... On the ones I have installed on numerous GTO's including my own, I had to install a flat washer
on each stud for mounting the master cylinder in order to get the proper clearance at the master cylinder piston to push rod interface to prevent the brakes from dragging........no big deal, just put one flat washer on each stud...
not noticeable once the master cylinder is installed.

The Following User Says Thank You to gtohurstjudge For This Useful Post:
Old 01-20-2022, 01:02 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtohurstjudge View Post
I notice you are using a repro brake booster....... On the ones I have installed on numerous GTO's including my own, I had to install a flat washer
on each stud for mounting the master cylinder in order to get the proper clearance at the master cylinder piston to push rod interface to prevent the brakes from dragging........no big deal, just put one flat washer on each stud...
not noticeable once the master cylinder is installed.
Thanks for the tip. I'll keep an eye out for that possible issue.

'55 Chevy Bel Air Sport Coupe - Ram Jet 350 / T56 Magnum 6spd, Restomod Completed Sept. 2012, Sold Sept. 2021 PHOTO
Old 01-30-2022, 09:21 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Default Progress

I received and installed the RetroSound front speaker.
It fits but it is very tight quarters in there when the dash is installed and did have to move it forward from center for it to clear the center vent duct.
In addition to the bracket, I used mounting tape on top of the speaker to keep it securely in place.

I stuck the camera up in there to get a photo the best I could with the dash installed. It is almost touching the duct on the driver side end of the speaker.

Installed the front to rear wiring harness into the factory channel that is formed into the floor sheetmetal. I didn't use the factory vinyl conduit. I decided to encase it in duct tape instead.

In addition to all the wires that ran to the back from the factory, I added a pair rear speaker wires, a 14 ga. wire for the fuel pump power and a twisted pair wire for the gas gauge as Dakota Digital recommends.

All the wiring at the dash is now complete except for the radio. I did decide to install a power amp and ordered THIS ONE yesterday. My plan is to mount it to the back of the glove box.

Got the steering column installed. I bought an original GM tilt column from Gary's Classics out of Athens, TX. I'm extremely happy with it. You would swear it is brand new and not rebuilt.

Also installed the intermediate steering shaft that I had rebuilt.

Cleaned, lubricated and installed the shifter. I modified the shifter for usage with the 4 speed 200-4R transmission using a kit made by Shiftworks. I also opted for their kit that moves the park/neutral and reverse light switch to the shifter instead of on the steering column. I got the back drive linkage installed and adjusted to be able to lock the steering wheel with the shifter in the park position as it was stock.
It took me a while to get everything all adjusted but I think it will work out very well. I did have to temporarily install the console to get it all checked since the console supports the front part of the shifter assembly.

Installed the new shroud and Cold Case radiator along with the top and bottom hoses:

I color sanded the trunk lid and got it installed. I temporarily installed the stainless trim on the edge just to see that it lines up the way I wanted. I'll remove it for polishing the car out and then reinstall.

'55 Chevy Bel Air Sport Coupe - Ram Jet 350 / T56 Magnum 6spd, Restomod Completed Sept. 2012, Sold Sept. 2021 PHOTO
The Following User Says Thank You to roger1 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-30-2022, 11:26 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

As always...impressive work! Glad the front speaker worked out for you.

Old 01-31-2022, 06:43 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Can't wait for the first "down the road" video!

Old 01-31-2022, 09:59 AM

This car is Just Awesome! Job well done. Thanks for sharing with the World!

Old 02-01-2022, 10:20 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Thanks for the compliments guys!

I installed the inner fenders and battery tray yesterday. Not a fun job installing the staples for the rubber splash shields.

Old 02-02-2022, 03:19 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Did you do the staples before or after you installed the inner fenders?

Old 02-02-2022, 08:44 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I did them before and on saw horses.
Here's a photo of the p/s with the original splash shields still on:

As you can see, the shield over the control arm is on the inside of the panel and the lower rear one is on the outside of the panel. It wouldn't be possible to install the lower rear shield while on the car because it's pretty much up against the frame in that area.
To install the staples, I clamped them in place and then drilled through the original staple holes with a 1/16 drill bit and through the rubber. Then I could push the staples through, bend the ends over some with needle nose pliers and hammer them tight with a dolly held behind.

And btw, I am thinking I should dab black paint onto the staples to keep them from rusting.

Old 02-02-2022, 03:57 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Jeez I never even noticed the lower shields before ... going to have to get some of those.

That epoxy looks great on the inner fenders.

Old 02-05-2022, 09:27 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Have you test fit the front speakers yet? If your '70 is the same at the dash as my '69, I think you may have a duct clearance issue like I did. My understanding from talking to Miguel at Classic Car Stereos is that they buy the mount from Custom Auto Sound and they have Custom Auto Sound speakers installed. Then Classic removes those and installs better speakers like the JL Audio you chose and the Kicker that I chose. However, the speaker change can affect the fit in the application Custom Auto Sound designed them for.
Anyhow I hope yours fit OK and you don't have to send them back.
Same question to you too. Are you going with an amp? If so I would think in your case you would go with a 4 channel to power all 4 speakers.
Took a trip to the shop today to drop off some parts and check progress. I'm glad to report that the JL front speaker (with proper AC bracket) installed fine without any clearance issues with the ductwork.

Old 02-05-2022, 10:07 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by vertigto View Post
Took a trip to the shop today to drop off some parts and check progress. I'm glad to report that the JL front speaker (with proper AC bracket) installed fine without any clearance issues with the ductwork.
Excellent. I would guess that your '70 dash backside is not exactly the same as my '69 is.

Old 02-05-2022, 11:32 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Excellent. I would guess that your '70 dash backside is not exactly the same as my '69 is.
Maybe I misunderstood...the dash is not in yet. If I am looking at your pic correctly, the depth of the dual 3.5" speakers might interfere with the center duct on the dash. I'm guessing that's the problem you had with the Kicker?

Sigh...here is a pic.

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_20220205_131301643.jpg
Views:	439
Size:	26.4 KB
ID:	583572  

Last edited by vertigto; 02-05-2022 at 11:57 PM.
Old 02-06-2022, 12:37 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Looks like I'm going to have to get the Retrosound. I assume you have the slimline version?

https://www.retromanufacturing.com/p...pontiac~md_gto

Unfortunately...I got mine last April, but things got delayed with COVID et al. Doubt they will take it back now...out $185. They should though, as it's advertised to fit my 70 with AC.

Old 02-06-2022, 10:02 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I did misunderstand. I thought you had your dash in place.

It's the depth of the speaker on the d/s that interferes with the center vent duct.
It's still very tight with the RetroSound speaker but it does clear. But like I said, the speaker has to move forward of center with the grille openings at the top. No big deal though.
Fabricating the bracket was easy. That slotted steel brace was something I had thrown in a box from some earlier project. Mounting tape around the perimeter of the speaker top like I did is something I would recommend for you to do as well.

Yes, that is the correct RetroSound speaker. I would think the JL Audio as well as the Kicker speakers I originally chose would be superior to the RetroSound. However, the reports on the RetroSound is that it does sound very good. Installing kick panel speakers or cutting holes in the door panels were not options I would consider so the RetroSound will have to do.

Talk to Miguel at CCS. I think they will give you a full refund. I think all they are concerned about is whether they can resell the speakers as new. Once I sent a photo that showed I didn't alter the wires, he approved my refund and even paid for my return shipping. I had modified the plastic that they mount to but he wasn't concerned with that. I had rounded the corners a bit to clear the defroster duct.