Old 10-24-2021, 12:24 AM

Default Engine Mounts

Is there a reproduction or source for engine mounts? I allowed a shop I’ve used for years to take my 468, Bellhousing and T-56 and trial fit it into a friends ‘69 Firebird and the engine mounts and motor mount bolts got lost. I need to find replacements for the mounts (and they will either pay or if none are available custom fabricate them) to get the driveline back in. Here’s an example

file:///var/mobile/Library/SMS/Attachments/e1/01/66608C46-0530-404B-8749-C7FFC613940D/Screenshot_20211023-165959_Chrome.jpg

Old 10-24-2021, 10:41 AM
Ultimate Warrior

If you're talking about the 4 stamped metal parts that bolts to the frame, it is a reproduced part. Here's a link to JEGS, which advertises them for $79.99.

https://www.jegs.com/i/OER+Equipment...aAs5tEALw_wcB#

1984 Grand Prix

100% Pontiacs in my driveway!!! What's in your driveway?

If you don't take some of the RACETRACK home with you, Ya got cheated

Old 10-24-2021, 08:09 PM

Thanks but the provided link was was 67-69 Firebird; I’m looking for 73-77 A-body.

Old 10-25-2021, 12:40 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy Allen View Post
Thanks but the provided link was was 67-69 Firebird; I’m looking for 73-77 A-body.

If anyone read that original first post, they would deduce you were looking for the mounts (67-69 Firebird) that I linked to. Nowhere in your request does it even mention 73-77 A body, or am I clueless?

BTW, your link doesn't work, I tried it before I answered, even copying and pasting it doesn't work.

FWIW, all 73-77 A body motor mounts systems aren't the same.

To my knowledge there are no reproduction for 73-76 A body frame mounts made, used parts only. If the post was more clear, or the link worked, I probably would have answered correctly initially.

Also, 77 A body changed the design from 76, and uses a captured rubber frame mount, and a steel engine mount bracket, so 73-76 uses the same mount system, 77 uses a one year only system. The system you're asking about is either 73-76, or a one year only, 77 system.

The part of the mount that bolts to the frame 73-76 is going to be used parts only, the rubber isolator that bolts to the engine is available from any parts outlet.

In 77, the rubber isolator that bolts to the frame is available from parts outlets, the steel bracket that bolts to the engine is probably only going to be a used part.

Hopefully this answers your inquiry.

1984 Grand Prix

Old 10-25-2021, 01:02 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Try Frank's Pontiac Parts online.

Old 10-01-2023, 04:11 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirrotica View Post
If anyone read that original first post, they would deduce you were looking for the mounts (67-69 Firebird) that I linked to. Nowhere in your request does it even mention 73-77 A body, or am I clueless?

BTW, your link doesn't work, I tried it before I answered, even copying and pasting it doesn't work.

FWIW, all 73-77 A body motor mounts systems aren't the same.

To my knowledge there are no reproduction for 73-76 A body frame mounts made, used parts only. If the post was more clear, or the link worked, I probably would have answered correctly initially.

Also, 77 A body changed the design from 76, and uses a captured rubber frame mount, and a steel engine mount bracket, so 73-76 uses the same mount system, 77 uses a one year only system. The system you're asking about is either 73-76, or a one year only, 77 system.

The part of the mount that bolts to the frame 73-76 is going to be used parts only, the rubber isolator that bolts to the engine is available from any parts outlet.

In 77, the rubber isolator that bolts to the frame is available from parts outlets, the steel bracket that bolts to the engine is probably only going to be a used part.

Hopefully this answers your inquiry.
Dragging up an old post.....are you saying that a 75 LeMans would have the same frame brackets as a 74 Grand Am (both have Pontiac engines)?

Thanks,
Importsmasher

66 GTO convertible 389/4 speed (parents bought new)
73 Firebird Formula 400/4 speed
74 GTO 455/4 speed
74 Grand Am
Old 10-02-2023, 12:15 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by importsmasher View Post
Dragging up an old post.....are you saying that a 75 LeMans would have the same frame brackets as a 74 Grand Am (both have Pontiac engines)?

Thanks,
Importsmasher
I went and checked the aftermarket motor mount catalogues, and 73-76 A body specify the same style rubber mount on the engine leading me to believe that in 77 Pontiac Pontiac changed over to the clamshell style frame mount, with the stamped steel solid style engine mount, and the rubber was then in the frame portion of the mount. where the previous style had the rubber in the engine portion of the mount.

To answer the question you posed, 73-76 should use the same frame mount stands, and the same rubber engine mounts. In 77 there was a running change with a one year only style design. Just to be clear, I'm deducing this from the aftermarket motor mount parts catalogues. I don't any longer have the GM Pontiac parts books I once had, with the factory engineering drawings. Unfortuneatly my GM manuals got tossed out inadvertantly years ago. That's the best answer I can give according to the aftermarket parts lookups online. I can only look at their applications, per their catalogue information. If their information is correct, then yes 74 and 75 use the same mounting system. Grand Am and Lemans only differ in trim, the frames were the same.

I would also think that the same years of GP uses the same mounting system. The G, and A bodies shared most structural parts from 73-77 also. In 1971 GM started trying to standardize the parts across all their lines to cut engineering, and manufacturing costs. Lots of chassis parts interchange beginning in the early 70s. Since each division still had their own V8 engines, the engine mounting systems were still engine specific through 76.

Over the years I have owned 73,74, and 75 Pontiac A bodies, but it was in the 70s and early 80s. I can't accurately recall what style of mounts those 3 cars had, too many moons ago for my memory banks. I know the 73 G/A had the rubber on the engine side, but the other 2 years of cars I can only refer to what the aftermarket shows, which is 73-76 use one part number, and 77 uses a different part number.

I hope that information is of some help.

1984 Grand Prix

Old 10-02-2023, 12:22 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
I went and checked the aftermarket motor mount catalogues, and 73-76 A body specify the same style rubber mount on the engine leading me to believe that in 77 Pontiac Pontiac changed over to the clamshell style frame mount, with the stamped steel solid style engine mount, and the rubber was then in the frame portion of the mount. where the previous style had the rubber in the engine portion of the mount.

To answer the question you posed, 73-76 should use the same frame mount stands, and the same rubber engine mounts. In 77 there was a running change with a one year only style design. Just to be clear, I'm deducing this from the aftermarket motor mount parts catalogues. I don't any longer have the GM Pontiac parts books I once had, with the factory engineering drawings. Unfortuneatly my GM manuals got tossed out inadvertantly years ago. That's the best answer I can give according to the aftermarket parts lookups online. I can only look at their applications, per their catalogue information. If their information is correct, then yes 74 and 75 use the same mounting system. Grand Am and Lemans only differ in trim, the frames were the same.

I would also think that the same years of GP uses the same mounting system. The G, and A bodies shared most structural parts from 73-77 also. In 1971 GM started trying to standardize the parts across all their lines to cut engineering, and manufacturing costs. Lots of chassis parts interchange beginning in the early 70s. Since each division still had their own V8 engines, the engine mounting systems were still engine specific through 76.

Over the years I have owned 73,74, and 75 Pontiac A bodies, but it was in the 70s and early 80s. I can't accurately recall what style of mounts those 3 cars had, too many moons ago for my memory banks. I know the 73 G/A had the rubber on the engine side, but the other 2 years of cars I can only refer to what the aftermarket shows, which is 73-76 use one part number, and 77 uses a different part number.

I hope that information is of some help.
That is exactly what I was wondering, thank you! I have a 74 Grand Am, and the previous owner took the metal frame brackets when he pulled the engine. I'm supposed to be picking up a 75 LeMans this weekend. So based on your research, it *should * have the same brackets.

Even if it doesn't, it's not too difficult to adapt the later style mount system to the earlier car; I just might have to drill some holes.

Thanks again,
Importsmasher

74 GTO 455/4 speed
74 Grand Am
Old 10-03-2023, 02:00 PM
Ultimate Warrior

From the research I was able to do with part numbers, I'm 99% sure the 75 frame mounts will work on the 74 chassis. Hard to believe someone would unbolt the frame mounts, rather than pull the long 7/16 inch bolt, talk about doing it the hard way......

You're correct that the 77 design would be fairly simple to adapt to the 74 chassis, and yes you could have to drill some holes in the crossmember. I would think that finding the stamped sheetmetal that bolts to the engine might be the hardest part to come up with since there are different parts for the different chassis widths. B body, and F body look remarkably similar yet the difference in frame width makes them slightly different, been there done that one....LOL.

Luckily the factory stamped the sheet metal parts as to what chassis they fit. An A, or G body should have the correct engine mounts, but again your looking at likely only 77 as donors.

1984 Grand Prix

Old 10-03-2023, 02:06 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
From the research I was able to do with part numbers, I'm 99% sure the 75 frame mounts will work on the 74 chassis. Hard to believe someone would unbolt the frame mounts, rather than pull the long 7/16 inch bolt, talk about doing it the hard way......

You're correct that the 77 design would be fairly simple to adapt to the 74 chassis, and yes you could have to drill some holes in the crossmember. I would think that finding the stamped sheetmetal that bolts to the engine might be the hardest part to come up with since there are different parts for the different chassis widths. B body, and F body look remarkably similar yet the difference in frame width makes them slightly different, been there done that one....LOL.

Luckily the factory stamped the sheet metal parts as to what chassis they fit. An A, or G body should have the correct engine mounts, but again your looking at likely only 77 as donors.
I think he pulled the frame mounts in order to adapt them to the car he's putting the engine in (a 60 Pontiac if I'm not mistaken).

The LeMans I'm supposed to pick up is complete (engine and all), so whichever mount system it has is what I will use. From your information, I'm expecting it will be a simple bolt in, and I won't have to adapt anything.

Thanks again,
Importsmasher

74 GTO 455/4 speed
74 Grand Am
Old 10-07-2023, 08:03 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

74 and 75 both use the clamshell motor mount. It can be a PITA to get all the hardware off the frame mounts though, not easy to get a wrench into a couple spots.

Old 10-07-2023, 08:44 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdrookie View Post
74 and 75 both use the clamshell motor mount. It can be a PITA to get all the hardware off the frame mounts though, not easy to get a wrench into a couple spots.
If you want to make it easier to get the nuts inside the crossmember I use a step drill to make access holes in the bottom of the crosssmember that you can pass a universal socket through with an extension to hold the nuts. You need roughly a 1 inch hole to pass the hardware through. You can make one in the center of the crossmember that you'll be able to reach both sides with a long extension and a swivel. It's easier, and quicker than trying to work around the lower control arm mounts, or pull the lower control arms out to get more room.

I first did this when I converted a 82 Cutlass 4.3 V6 diesel to a 350 Rocket gas engine, there is very little room in the G body to get any wrench into the bottom of that crossmember. The 1 inch hole worked very well for access, much easier than removing the lower control arms.

I rechecked Anchor's listing on Advance auto parts site, and Amazon, both sites say the V8 Pontiac V8 through 1976 uses the 2255, and 2256 mounts which are not clamshell mounts. They confirm that 1977 is the first year that the clamshell mount was used in a A body with a Pontiac V8. Not going to get into a disagreement here, but as far as the parts sites listed usage, a 350, and 400 Pontiac V8 both use the early style mounts. It's well known that the A body cars beginning in 1970 used the late style 3 bolt mounts, and the 350, and 400 cars used the old 2 bolt mounts. Since Pontiac used the stronger mounts in 70-72 455 A bodied cars, it's entirely possible that 73-76, 455 A bodies also used their own seperate mounts. Amazon does show the clamshell style mount on the earlier chassis, (73-76), but only on OEM 455 equipped cars.

I guess Scott can confirm what mounts his donor cars have when he gets around to removing the frame mounts.

I may have learned another Pontiac engineering design variation for the 73-76 A bodies. I was never aware that there were 2 different designs for 350/400 cars, and a seperate design for the 455 equipped cars during those years.

1984 Grand Prix

Last edited by Sirrotica; 10-07-2023 at 09:34 PM.
Old 10-07-2023, 09:19 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

That's a good idea! I have/had a half moon 9/16 wrench that was barely long enough to reach in there. It was still a struggle to keep it on the fastener. I'm hoping those days of messing with the ridiculous are over, but I kind of doubt it.

Old 12-05-2023, 09:26 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Just a quick follow up, I pulled the engine out of my 75 LeMans parts car, and unfortunately it has the later style mounts (the rubber parts bolts to the frame, and a "clamshell" that bolts to the engine).

Anyone have a set of frame brackets for a 74 Grand Am? If I can't find a set, I'll just drill new holes and use the 75 setup.

Importsmasher

74 GTO 455/4 speed
74 Grand Am